R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/28/2019 at 9:21 PM, subwayfan1998 said:

Any Updates on the R179s?

Its generally a quiet time in July with staff vacations and all.

When we left off, 3258-67 were burning in, 3268-72 were delivered and 3273-77 were expected.

Has anyone else seen anything in this regard?

29 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Its generally a quiet time in July with staff vacations and all.

When we left off, 3258-67 were burning in, 3268-72 were delivered and 3273-77 were expected.

Has anyone else seen anything in this regard?

3273-77 has been delivered, to my knowledge 3258-67 is still burn in

3 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Observations of the R42s from what I've seen as of late:

The R42s aren't limited to rush hours only like some people have observed. ENY normally brings out 1-2 sets of R42s on the weekends for (J) service. They're still being used on a regular basis for now.

I'm surprised that there are still r42's running on the J. ENY has all 8 car r160's plus most of the 8 car r179's. How many trains do the J/Z need versus how many 8 car trains are available for the J/Z???

I just hope ENY doesn't decide to have NTT's just sitting around in the yard getting dust, when they can be used in other lines.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I'm surprised that there are still r42's running on the J. ENY has all 8 car r160's plus most of the 8 car r179's. How many trains do the J/Z need versus how many 8 car trains are available for the J/Z???

I just hope ENY doesn't decide to have NTT's just sitting around in the yard getting dust, when they can be used in other lines.

R179 issues and R160A-1 SMS and cbtc retrofit is why the R42's are still running.

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

20 trains total: R160A total - 10 trains, R179 total - 7-8, the other 2-3 are R42 trains. 

Leftovers (spares) at ENY lies 4-5 160As and 3-5 179 trains. 

9 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

R179 issues and R160A-1 SMS and cbtc retrofit is why the R42's are still running.

Correct. The software issue with the R179’s are currently being corrected. They’re also now looking into the door motors as C/Rs have complained about. 

Yes!  Does that mean there will be 4 R179s running on the (A) by next weekend?  I'm flying into JFK & staying near Beach-44th Street til Wednesday.  I hope to catch a 10-car R179 during my trip at least once.  I'm also fine with riding R46 (A) trains otherwise.  I love looking out over Jamaica Bay between the Hammels Wye & Howard Beach without twisting my neck too much.

10 minutes ago, Evan the Tourist said:

Yes!  Does that mean there will be 4 R179s running on the (A) by next weekend?  I'm flying into JFK & staying near Beach-44th Street til Wednesday.  I hope to catch a 10-car R179 during my trip at least once.  I'm also fine with riding R46 (A) trains otherwise.  I love looking out over Jamaica Bay between the Hammels Wye & Howard Beach without twisting my neck too much.

Yes, 3-4 total

you'll have a better chance looking for it at Rockaway Blvd to avoid longer waits. If by any chance that (A) is Far Rockaway bound from the countdown clocks, then you'll have a sweet ride along the bay. 

Edited by Calvin

Yes, 3-4 total

you'll have a better chance looking for it at Rockaway Blvd to avoid longer waits. If by any chance that  is Far Rockaway bound from the countdown clocks, then you'll have a sweet ride along the bay. 

I look forward to it.  I come up for a vacation next weekend.  The weather says sunshine & upper 80s too.  I'll definitely get some beach time as well.  Thanks for letting me know.  I could also take the Rockaway Park (S) to Rockaway Blvd on the weekends.

On 7/12/2019 at 5:48 PM, Lawrence St said:

Since the (A) and (S) share the same fleet wouldn't an R179 pop on the the Rockaway Pk (S) ?

Probably not. The (S) is a very short route and the trains are half the length of an (A) . The R179s are being put on the (A) mainly to help with the rush hour crowds that are better handled by 60ft cars. The (S) is never crowded.

1 hour ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Probably not. The (S) is a very short route and the trains are half the length of an (A) . The R179s are being put on the (A) mainly to help with the rush hour crowds that are better handled by 60ft cars. The (S) is never crowded.

The crowding part is when all the seats have been used during the summer weekend. No standees for the seasonal extension. 

We're still rather early in the introduction stage of the R179s on the (A).

I'd imagine they're still putting out the available sets at certain specific times, even thought they can theoretically run any time, to ensure they stay on the (A) and off the rush hour Rockaway Park specials (although there was one on the Lefferts Blvd to Dyckman Street AM trip a while back)

16 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

We're still rather early in the introduction stage of the R179s on the (A).

I'd imagine they're still putting out the available sets at certain specific times, even thought they can theoretically run any time, to ensure they stay on the (A) and off the rush hour Rockaway Park specials (although there was one on the Lefferts Blvd to Dyckman Street AM trip a while back)

I don't see why the R179s should intentionally be kept off those PM rush hour trips to Rockaway Park. They travel to Far Rockaway everyday, so why should it be an issue? Not too long ago an R179 set or two were deliberately assigned to cover the special (S)/(H)between Rockaway Park and Far Rockaway.