Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Program Update effective 2/20/19

E70AE3B5-BCC7-4242-8958-215EA3B3E968.jpeg

2A3D4B44-9846-4D37-8FFE-88142B572B51.jpeg

844D9F11-6BFF-4B1B-A0AA-CEEF1E3D444B.jpeg

D143F871-E911-4F90-BF83-14B590D436A2.jpeg

018FCF27-0E25-47C4-8133-9E14E0160D65.jpeg

FCAB8EC7-FC4C-45EB-95CC-8F213A2E4F1E.jpeg

Message added by East New York

2 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Whats confusing about it...Except that the R46 uses the whole length of the platform...

Right the difference is between running both long trains and shorter trains on the same line, platform positions and to know where to board trains at the stations. Shorter trains you have to run more to catch it. Full length trains you don't have to run much to catch it. (A)(B)(D)(E)(F)(N)(Q)(R)(W) lines all run Full Length Trains. Normally (C)(J)(L)(M)(Z) lines run 8 cars trains with the same length. (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6) lines all run 10 car trains with the same full length. (7) all trains run with 11 cars. (G) normally all trains run 4 car trains. (C) is the only one running both Short and Long trains on the same line. Which causes some confusion with us subway riders. All subway train lines such be uniformed one subway line like (C) should run same length trains.

Just seen a 10 car set running NIS though Utica Ave S/B just now.. I take it this train had an mechanical problem and had to be removed from service? It had an C/R on board so I doubt it was a yard move and it's the middle of rush hour lol

1 minute ago, trainfan22 said:

Just seen a 10 car set running NIS though Utica Ave S/B just now.. I take it this train had an mechanical problem and had to be removed from service? It had an C/R on board so I doubt it was a yard move and it's the middle of rush hour lol

The (A) right behind it was an 179 and ppl were packed inside like sardines, I passed it up.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

Any Updates on the R179s?

Edited by VIP
Mistake

On 6/28/2019 at 9:21 PM, subwayfan1998 said:

Any Updates on the R179s?

Its generally a quiet time in July with staff vacations and all.

When we left off, 3258-67 were burning in, 3268-72 were delivered and 3273-77 were expected.

Has anyone else seen anything in this regard?

29 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Its generally a quiet time in July with staff vacations and all.

When we left off, 3258-67 were burning in, 3268-72 were delivered and 3273-77 were expected.

Has anyone else seen anything in this regard?

3273-77 has been delivered, to my knowledge 3258-67 is still burn in

Observations of the R42s from what I've seen as of late:

The R42s aren't limited to rush hours only like some people have observed. ENY normally brings out 1-2 sets of R42s on the weekends for (J) service. They're still being used on a regular basis for now.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Observations of the R42s from what I've seen as of late:

The R42s aren't limited to rush hours only like some people have observed. ENY normally brings out 1-2 sets of R42s on the weekends for (J) service. They're still being used on a regular basis for now.

I'm surprised that there are still r42's running on the J. ENY has all 8 car r160's plus most of the 8 car r179's. How many trains do the J/Z need versus how many 8 car trains are available for the J/Z???

I just hope ENY doesn't decide to have NTT's just sitting around in the yard getting dust, when they can be used in other lines.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I'm surprised that there are still r42's running on the J. ENY has all 8 car r160's plus most of the 8 car r179's. How many trains do the J/Z need versus how many 8 car trains are available for the J/Z???

I just hope ENY doesn't decide to have NTT's just sitting around in the yard getting dust, when they can be used in other lines.

R179 issues and R160A-1 SMS and cbtc retrofit is why the R42's are still running.

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

20 trains total: R160A total - 10 trains, R179 total - 7-8, the other 2-3 are R42 trains. 

Leftovers (spares) at ENY lies 4-5 160As and 3-5 179 trains. 

9 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

R179 issues and R160A-1 SMS and cbtc retrofit is why the R42's are still running.

Correct. The software issue with the R179’s are currently being corrected. They’re also now looking into the door motors as C/Rs have complained about. 

As of July 6:

3258-3267 were still burning in, and 3268-3277 were all parked at Pitkin.

Let's see if 3278-3282, perhaps even 3283-3287, appear this week.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I found a YouTube video of an r179 C train running to Leffert Blvd due to A train delays.

How do you guys feel about a future (post r211) C train extension to Lefferts Blvd with the A going to the Rockaways?? 

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

The 4th R179 set: 3258-3267 is now in-passenger service. 

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Do you know the timeslots in the weekdays that they enter service for the (A) train?

8 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Do you know the timeslots in the weekdays that they enter service for the (A) train?

They come out randomly, one is leaving at 1:20PM from Far Rock currently. 

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Thank you!

Any whereabouts on 3278-3282 yet?

Yes!  Does that mean there will be 4 R179s running on the (A) by next weekend?  I'm flying into JFK & staying near Beach-44th Street til Wednesday.  I hope to catch a 10-car R179 during my trip at least once.  I'm also fine with riding R46 (A) trains otherwise.  I love looking out over Jamaica Bay between the Hammels Wye & Howard Beach without twisting my neck too much.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Evan the Tourist said:

Yes!  Does that mean there will be 4 R179s running on the (A) by next weekend?  I'm flying into JFK & staying near Beach-44th Street til Wednesday.  I hope to catch a 10-car R179 during my trip at least once.  I'm also fine with riding R46 (A) trains otherwise.  I love looking out over Jamaica Bay between the Hammels Wye & Howard Beach without twisting my neck too much.

Yes, 3-4 total

you'll have a better chance looking for it at Rockaway Blvd to avoid longer waits. If by any chance that (A) is Far Rockaway bound from the countdown clocks, then you'll have a sweet ride along the bay. 

Edited by Calvin
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yes, 3-4 total

you'll have a better chance looking for it at Rockaway Blvd to avoid longer waits. If by any chance that  is Far Rockaway bound from the countdown clocks, then you'll have a sweet ride along the bay. 

I look forward to it.  I come up for a vacation next weekend.  The weather says sunshine & upper 80s too.  I'll definitely get some beach time as well.  Thanks for letting me know.  I could also take the Rockaway Park (S) to Rockaway Blvd on the weekends.

4 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

There pretty easy to find now, just post up at Chambers or 34th Penn and wait for one to show up.

Since the (A) and (S) share the same fleet wouldn't an R179 pop on the the Rockaway Pk (S) ?

On 7/12/2019 at 5:48 PM, Lawrence St said:

Since the (A) and (S) share the same fleet wouldn't an R179 pop on the the Rockaway Pk (S) ?

Probably not. The (S) is a very short route and the trains are half the length of an (A) . The R179s are being put on the (A) mainly to help with the rush hour crowds that are better handled by 60ft cars. The (S) is never crowded.