R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

43 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I don't see why the R179s should intentionally be kept off those PM rush hour trips to Rockaway Park. They travel to Far Rockaway everyday, so why should it be an issue? Not too long ago an R179 set or two were deliberately assigned to cover the special (S)/(H)between Rockaway Park and Far Rockaway.

This YouTube video posted by DJ Hammers is proof that r179 A trains have gone to Rockaway Park. 

Keep in mind that once all r46's retire, the Rockaway Shuttle will have to use either r179's or r211's, unless the MTA decides 4 or 5 years from now to run all A trains to the Rockaways (splitting the line after Broad Channel), and the C being extended to Ozone Park.

The latter plan won't work in the present moment, but with some signal adjustments and track work in the Rockaways plus correct distribution of subway cars on the A/C it may work in the future. Additionally, there is a lot of real estate construction in the Rockaways, which will lead to increase ridership on both sides of the Rockaways in the future.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

We're still rather early in the introduction stage of the R179s on the (A).

I'd imagine they're still putting out the available sets at certain specific times, even thought they can theoretically run any time, to ensure they stay on the (A) and off the rush hour Rockaway Park specials (although there was one on the Lefferts Blvd to Dyckman Street AM trip a while back)

Since when did the (A) start short turning at Dyckman St?

32 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I don't see why the R179s should intentionally be kept off those PM rush hour trips to Rockaway Park. They travel to Far Rockaway everyday, so why should it be an issue? Not too long ago an R179 set or two were deliberately assigned to cover the special (S)/(H)between Rockaway Park and Far Rockaway.

To my knowledge, (and someone can correct me on this if I've got it wrong) the train sets that run on the (A) trips to Rockaway Park only do the trip to the city in the AM and back in the PM and at all other times they're in the yard. My guess is simply they'd rather have them run all day on the main (A) than have a brand new train just sitting in the yard most of the time.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

To my knowledge, (and someone can correct me on this if I've got it wrong) the train sets that run on the (A) trips to Rockaway Park only do the trip to the city in the AM and back in the PM and at all other times they're in the yard. My guess is simply they'd rather have them run all day on the main (A) than have a brand new train just sitting in the yard most of the time.

19 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I'd imagine they're still putting out the available sets at certain specific times, even thought they can theoretically run any time, to ensure they stay on the (A) and off the rush hour Rockaway Park specials (although there was one on the Lefferts Blvd to Dyckman Street AM trip a while back)

The AM Trains from Rockaway Park actually runs to 207th Street and a couple of those stays out all day. Those (A) Train trips that end at 168th Street and Dyckman Street all come from Lefferts and Far Rockaway and most of those crews are the midnight crews that are finishing up that would deadhead and sign out at 207th Street Yard. Before, yes those Rockaway Park trips ended at 168th Street and/or Dyckman Street but they switched it around by the Winter of 2013.

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

This YouTube video posted by DJ Hammers is proof that r179 A trains have gone to Rockaway Park. 

This is very clearly evidence that R32s have gone to Rockaway Park. 

R179s have been once or twice, though. 

58 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

The AM Trains from Rockaway Park actually runs to 207th Street and a couple of those stays out all day. Those (A) Train trips that end at 168th Street and Dyckman Street all come from Lefferts and Far Rockaway and most of those crews are the midnight crews that are finishing up that would deadhead and sign out at 207th Street Yard. Before, yes those Rockaway Park trips ended at 168th Street and/or Dyckman Street but they switched it around by the Winter of 2013.

So what's with the sign boards from Beach 90th to 116th saying " (A) to 59th St-Columbus Circle Rush Hours only"

39 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Why that change? Any (A) train that comes from Beach 116 should as a requirement terminate at Dyckman/200 Streets in the morning rush to go inside the 207 Street Overhaul Shop. The (A) trains from Lefferts and Far Rock should be the ones going out of service at Inwood-207 Street in the morning rush, not 168 or Dyckman/200 Streets.

The (A) train does not make up its mind and its one of the reasons why everything is up the fan with that line everytime. Even those two terminals (168 and Dyckman/200th Streets) are quite confusing.

9 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So what's with the sign boards from Beach 90th to 116th saying " (A) to 59th St-Columbus Circle Rush Hours only"

That was the original terminal for the Beach 116th trips from Beach 116th in the morning.

Edited by 4 via Mosholu
Added something

3 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Why that change? Any (A) train that comes from Beach 116 should as a requirement terminate at Dyckman/200 Streets in the morning rush to go inside the 207 Street Overhaul Shop. The (A) trains from Lefferts and Far Rock should be the ones going out of service at Inwood-207 Street in the morning rush, not 168 or Dyckman/200 Streets.

The (A) train does not make up its mind and its one of the reasons why everything is up the fan with that line everytime. Even those two terminals (168 and Dyckman/200th Streets) are quite confusing.

I'm curious to know why you think an (A) from Rockaway Park must terminate at Dyckman St and enter the yard. I also think that you're equating 207th St yard and the Overhaul Shop which are not the same thing, IIRC. You've piqued my interest with your comment. Carry on.

14 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I'm curious to know why you think an (A) from Rockaway Park must terminate at Dyckman St and enter the yard. I also think that you're equating 207th St yard and the Overhaul Shop which are not the same thing, IIRC. You've piqued my interest with your comment. Carry on.

The (2) and select <5> trains had an issue of having their passengers confused in the sense that select afternoon rush trips were sent to either East 238 Street (i.e. Nereid Avenue) or East 241 Street when the selected <5> trains were still to East 241 Street during the Redbird era. The main express service for the (5) train during rush hours was and still is via Dyre. A terminal cutback in 1995 had the <5> train only go to East 238 Street to access Wakefield Yard while the (2) train only went to East 241 Street. It helped to alleviate any confusion regarding which train was going where during rush hours.

This thing about (A) trains from Lefferts and Mott terminating at either 168 or Dyckman/200 Streets in the morning rush, with :A: trains from Beach 116 terminating at Inwood-207 Street to go back home to 207 Street is what I deem to be so confusing. In my opinion, all :A: trains to and from Beach 116 should originate during the afternoon rush and terminate during the morning rush at Dyckman/200 Streets, while some of the main (A) trains from Lefferts and Mott should go to Inwood-207 Street to then turn back to go home to 207 Street. I'm only saying all this for some consistency to happen to the (A) train in general, just as it was done for the <5> Bronx Park thru Express in '95.

Edited by 4 via Mosholu
Bold and font color change

23 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

A terminal cutback in 1995 had the <5> train only go to East 238 Street to access Wakefield Yard while the (2) train only went to East 241 Street. It helped to alleviate any confusion regarding which train was going where during rush hours.

There are still (2) trains to Nereid Avenue in the rush. I used to get one every day for a few months when I would choose to take the (2)(3) to the (F) to get to Queens.

1 hour ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

The (2) and select <5> trains had an issue of having their passengers confused in the sense that select afternoon rush trips were sent to either East 238 Street (i.e. Nereid Avenue) or East 241 Street when the selected <5> trains were still to East 241 Street during the Redbird era. The main express service for the (5) train during rush hours was and still is via Dyre. A terminal cutback in 1995 had the <5> train only go to East 238 Street to access Wakefield Yard while the (2) train only went to East 241 Street. It helped to alleviate any confusion regarding which train was going where during rush hours.

This thing about (A) trains from Lefferts and Mott terminating at either 168 or Dyckman/200 Streets in the morning rush, with :A: trains from Beach 116 terminating at Inwood-207 Street to go back home to 207 Street is what I deem to be so confusing. In my opinion, all :A: trains to and from Beach 116 should originate during the afternoon rush and terminate during the morning rush at Dyckman/200 Streets, while some of the main (A) trains from Lefferts and Mott should go to Inwood-207 Street to then turn back to go home to 207 Street. I'm only saying all this for some consistency to happen to the (A) train in general, just as it was done for the <5> Bronx Park thru Express in '95.

You do realize that you’re talking with a person who knows all the permutations of the (5) line? 😁 😁😁 . 5:00 Utica to 241st, 3:45 Atlantic  to 241st, 3:54 Franklin to 241 st, which returned from 241st as a (5) to Flatbush in the afternoon. The terminal “ cutback “ was done to alleviate the congestion at 241st which was delaying the (2) service and reduce the amount of moves needed to lay up (5) trains up there. That’s why some (5) trains would run express from East 180th to Gun Hill middle and terminate there and line up for yard access. The regular riders knew the routine and they figured out that if they wanted to go to 241st they took the (2) train. Even then, depending on the equipment, a train signed up for 238th would sometimes end up being sent to the terminal if needed. I gather the situation with the (A) is similar. Boils down to the crew assignments and the CED equipment requirements. Maybe it appears confusing to some people but if they read the signs and listen to the announcements 9 times out of 10 they’ll be okay. I say that as a person who made a Dyre to Utica trip every night for 15 years , from the pre-Redbird era to the NTT with a correctly signed up train yet there was always the person who got to Utica and complained about me taking the wrong lineup . My regular riders would point out to the person that signs were right and the correct announcements were made. The real old timers like myself remember when the (5) never went to Flatbush at all. It all boils down to being aware . My experience., YMMV . Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5

2 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean that it needs to be changed. Ask for clarification as to why something is done as so. There are no stupid questions on here when it comes to learning about transit operations. A bit of insight: It's not a good idea to lecture a transit vet like @Trainmaster5 about the lines that he made a living on. One's youth should be highlighted as being humble.

27 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean that it needs to be changed. Ask for clarification as to why something is done as so. There are no stupid questions on here when it comes to learning about transit operations. A bit of insight: It's not a good idea to lecture a transit vet like @Trainmaster5 about the lines that he made a living on. One's youth should be highlighted as being humble.

I see your point in what you just said, @AlgorithmOfTruth. I did not intend to lecture @Trainmaster5 regarding the line that I now live near by a couple of bus stops on the 16. It slipped out of my thoughts regarding why I thought one thing should always be the case and not the other way around.

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

You do realize that you’re talking with a person who knows all the permutations of the (5) line?

Yep, @Trainmaster5. I know that very well. The lecture I gave you that you knew about years before just slipped out of my thoughts in typing when I was trying to explain my reasoning regarding why one thing should always be the case and not the other. I just hope that you are not in any way mad because I did that to you; that was a mistake on my part because you know the situation better than I do.

8 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I see your point in what you just said, @AlgorithmOfTruth. I did not intend to lecture @Trainmaster5 regarding the line that I now live near by a couple of bus stops on the 16. It slipped out of my thoughts regarding why I thought one thing should always be the case and not the other way around.

Yep, @Trainmaster5. I know that very well. The lecture I gave you that you knew about years before just slipped out of my thoughts in typing when I was trying to explain my reasoning regarding why one thing should always be the case and not the other. I just hope that you are not in any way mad because I did that to you; that was a mistake on my part because you know the situation better than I do.

No problem with your questions.  Believe me I worked in RTO and I questioned many things.  As was pointed out there are many questions posted by our members and we all try to answer them as best as we can.  That's how we all learn . No apologies necessary on this end . Carry on 

Edited by Trainmaster5

While you all were debating northern terminals for the (2) and (5) , 3268-3277 started burn-in.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/349253033" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/349253033">SST for R179 3070 / 3273</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user101016578">Andrew W</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

On 7/15/2019 at 6:11 PM, Daniel The Cool said:

All those five (A) trains from Rockaway Park in the AM stay out all day. I would assume these are the crews beginning their shifts.

Though the ones in the PM that come from the yard and enter service at Dyckman or 168 seem like they only do one round trip and then back to the yard at Rockaway Park.

Edited by Jemorie

3 hours ago, Jemorie said:

All those five (A) trains from Rockaway Park in the AM stay out all day. I would assume these are the crews beginning their shifts.

Though the ones in the PM that come from the yard and enter service at Dyckman or 168 seem like they only do one round trip and then back to the yard at Rockaway Park.

No they don't. Most of those (A) Trains from Rockaway Park are the XX Jobs. Same with the PM ones to Rockaway Park.

I just rode an r179 A (2260) uptown from 59th Street to 125th street. It doesn't run as fast as the r160's running express on QBL or when the C used to have r160's and sometimes run express along CPW due to track work or other reason. Also, the r68's run faster along CPW than any subway car on the A.