R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/25/2019 at 9:33 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

That kind of operation won't be tolerated whence a TSS is riding his train one day.

sad to say there're a number of T/Os like that; I will literally get off the train and wait for the next one if I get the feel that my operator is overly fan-happy.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:28 PM, 4 via Mosholu said:

They do have handbrakes; it is only encased within the lever that controls the brakes.

The NTT's don't have handbrakes, only the SMEE's do. They do however have parking brakes, which (IIRC) is only present when the train is in emergency.

24 minutes ago, Amtrak706 said:

Fan-happy?

In a nutshell, constant application and release of the brakes to bring the train to a halt (as opposed to one or two applications). Depending on the car, this could either be a nuisance or a significant delay while the brakes recharge (in order to keep them from failing).

Think of it as turning the kitchen light on and off a few times within 10 seconds. It's much less effective than turning it on and keeping it that way until the 10 seconds pass, and you've just created needless wear on the switch.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

In a nutshell, constant application and release of the brakes to bring the train to a halt (as opposed to one or two applications). Depending on the car, this could either be a nuisance or a significant delay while the brakes recharge (in order to keep them from failing).

Think of it as turning the kitchen light on and off a few times within 10 seconds. It's much less effective than turning it on and keeping it that way until the 10 seconds pass, and you've just created needless wear on the switch.

Yes, I understand the concept - I’m just not quite sure what “fan” refers to?

On 7/28/2019 at 2:36 AM, subway4832 said:

The NTT's don't have handbrakes, only the SMEE's do. They do however have parking brakes, which (IIRC) is only present when the train is in emergency.

Parking brakes are applied only when there is low pressure in the main reservoir pipe, not necessarily the brake pipe.  A loss of pressure in the brake pipe (represented on the duplex gauges by the black needle) will cause an emergency brake application.

1 hour ago, Richard Lewis 1 said:

Theres A R42 (J) Train Is Available On Weekends Only?

R42s aren't limited to weekends only on the (J)(Z), they've been running during the week as well mostly through 2019.

Quick reminder to not spam the (wrong) thread by posting the same thing 4 times...   

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

On R179 3257, There's a new *ding chime before you'll hear the manual announcement on a certain time. It's similar to the LIRR with "this station is"

R179 3161-3158 on the (C) Has the same chime as well.

7 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

R179 3190 closes it's doors without the famous Charlie Pellet announcement after saying the next stop. This is also on the (C)

They’re also modifying the interior cab window handles that us C/R’s have complained about for damn near 2 years. 

2 hours ago, Richard Lewis 1 said:

R42 (J) Train For Weekends Are Coming To Next Weekend August 17th 2019.

You probably will see it this weekend because they have planned service change which (J) only runs between Board St and Broadway Junction this weekend.

Btw, move on, this is a R179 related thread.

4 hours ago, Richard Lewis 1 said:

Oh Yeah. I Saw R42 In East New York Yard of 3 Sets Cars Service On (J)

Dude, enough with the R42. We all know East New York has them, we know what they look like, we all know Transit utilizes them WHENEVER NECESSARY. Please Stop Trolling.

Edited by VIP