R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, whz1995 said:

You probably will see it this weekend because they have planned service change which (J) only runs between Board St and Broadway Junction this weekend.

Btw, move on, this is a R179 related thread.

Quite to the contrary sir.

2 trains are laid up at 111 St. overnight 7 nights a week.  They USUALLY lay up R42's there.  So since there is no J service between Jamaica and "the Junction" this weekend, those 2 trains will stay there all weekend.  The yard will have enough R160/179 to use them as morning put-ins on Saturday/Sunday.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

2 trains are laid up at 111 St. overnight 7 nights a week.  They USUALLY lay up R42's there.  So since there is no J service between Jamaica and "the Junction" this weekend, those 2 trains will stay there all weekend.  The yard will have enough R160/179 to use them as morning put-ins on Saturday/Sunday.

Based on my experiences, they run R42 on (J)(Z) on weekday rush hour only and they run R42 the whole day on the weekend especially if there was planned service change. They had cut the service back to Crescent St on the weekend for the past few months and it was very easy to catch a R42 that I almost caught it every time.

Btw, I have seen that they lay up R179/R160 at 111 st a few times.

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

So That Means Theres No R42 (J) Line On This Weekend On August 10th 2019 Between Broad Street And Broadway Junction..Theres R179 And R160.

8 minutes ago, Richard Lewis 1 said:

So That Means Theres No R42 (J) Line On This Weekend On August 10th 2019 Between Broad Street And Broadway Junction..Theres R179 And R160.

I'm actually surprised that the r42's are still running at this point considering that ENY has all 8 car r160's and most 8 car r179's. Perhaps, the most logical reason is that the ENY r179's are still having issues.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I'm actually surprised that the r42's are still running at this point considering that ENY has all 8 car r160's and most 8 car r179's. Perhaps, the most logical reason is that the ENY r179's are still having issues.

Some of the ENY sets are sent to CI yard to get deep cleaned. 

I guess that they put R42 in service to prevent sudden dead because of being place in the yard and not running for a long time.

4 hours ago, Richard Lewis 1 said:

Like End Of December 2019

I doubt that the r42's will remain in service in 2020. ENY has a surplus of NTT'S, but I think the r42's won't be scrapped immediately after their retirement. I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA preserve some r42's as museum trains and perhaps even be used to replace the redbirds that are still running on B division garbage trains. 

37 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I doubt that the r42's will remain in service in 2020. ENY has a surplus of NTT'S, but I think the r42's won't be scrapped immediately after their retirement. I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA preserve some r42's as museum trains and perhaps even be used to replace the redbirds that are still running on B division garbage trains. 

The museum has an R42 set saved,so i'd be suprised if they save another set.

12 minutes ago, andreww said:

Can we get some moderation in here? This is the R179 thread for goodness sake...

We know and this is related to the r179's. The fact that the r42's are still running may be indication that the MTA and/or ENY don't have a clear idea of what they are planning to do with the surplus of 8 car r179's and r160's. They can't have the NTT'S just sitting in the yard.

9 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

We know and this is related to the r179's. The fact that the r42's are still running may be indication that the MTA and/or ENY don't have a clear idea of what they are planning to do with the surplus of 8 car r179's and r160's. They can't have the NTT'S just sitting in the yard.

It's just Like A CBTC On 2020

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

What about the train of many metals? It has the slants, r38's, the "million dollar" car, etc, but does it have r42's?

Yea,i'v seen the R42 museum set (4572-73) in the TOMM every time i'v seen it.

11 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

R179’s are getting their “kinks” ironed out. East New York’s R160’s are NOT getting deep cleaned yet til All of Jamaica’s R160’s get inspected and cleaned. Dispatch uses an R42 for rush service or to meet service demands. Sometimes the NTT’s sitting in the yard means, it’s been vandalized and awaiting cleaning or due for maintenance... BACK TO THE R179 10 car sets. 3278-3282 and 3283-3287 are at Pitkin barn awaiting more Burn in testing. 3277-3273 and 3268-3272 will see service sometime next week or the following there after since its third rail power issue has been resolved. 

There is one R40 slant pair, one R40M pair, and one R42 pair preserved that run on the TOMM. There is also a mismatched pair of one R40M and one R42 that was preserved by RPC and is sitting in Coney Island Yard non-operational. This set was the result of the Williamsburg Bridge crash as the two cars’ original same-class partners were the two cars that crashed into each other.

50 minutes ago, Amtrak706 said:

There is one R40 slant pair, one R40M pair, and one R42 pair preserved that run on the TOMM. There is also a mismatched pair of one R40M and one R42 that was preserved by RPC and is sitting in Coney Island Yard non-operational. This set was the result of the Williamsburg Bridge crash as the two cars’ original same-class partners were the two cars that crashed into each other.

That's Was In 1995 R40M Crash In Williamsburg Bridge. Long Time.

Quick question Is it just me or to the FIND displays on the on the (J) different from the FIND displays on the (A). On the (A) the stations the FIND displays have a faint white dotted lie around each station and I can clearly see 2 dot matrix rows for each station. On the (J) the display is more dark, there not dotted line, and besides the dots that are lit up the rest of the dot matrix is not visible.

A couple of sightings of the R179 (A) train last week till until now, 

* Last week, on a Friday night around 9:30 PM, the (A) at 207 St arrived first was the R32 set for Far Rockaway and the train next was the R179. Few minutes before departure, trains were swapped in terminals so, the R179 that has the Lefferts Blvd arrow on the clock was the first train to leave instead as the R32 was bound for Lefferts Blvd as a change in plan. 

*Currently, the (A) set 3238-3247 is Far Rockaway bound with 3 other trains behind after one another as well. All R179s that were on the (A) is to Far Rockaway but back to back between Aqueduct and the Rockaways. 

*3010-19 has a silent door closing, no *ding dong during closing

Edited by Calvin