R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

39 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Conveniently enough, this past weekends M to 145 was piggybacking with another GO: CI Bound F trains via the E line from 36th St. Queens to 47/50 Rockefeller Center Manhattan.

In other words, the M would not be able to get back to Met from 96/2.

Holy crap. I totally forgot about that (F) train GO. Thanks lol.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jemorie said:

That’s the whole reason. Another reason is that the (M) is already officially running to/from Midtown on weekends. It’s cheaper to reroute it over CPW than running the (B) (outside of those Yankee Stadium special showcases) or increase headways on the (C).

I'm glad the MTA made the decision of increasing local service along CPW, instead of limiting local service. The reason I am saying this is because there has been weekend where the C has been running express (one way), while cutting service on 1 train past 96th street. There shouldn't be any track work done along CPW, while track work is being done along 7th avenue and viceversa.

Also,I think, since ENY still has a surplus of 8car r179's and r160's, that the MTA should consider a possible permanent weekend M train extension past Delancey Street. What do you guys think??

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I had my first ride on a 10 car R179 yesterday.  Waited at Chambers St. for one in either direction.  Got set #2 bound for Lefferts Blvd. Rode back uptown, on the return trip it was bound for Far Rock.  I was thinking of staying on, but I had enough for one day.  Made my way home from Fulton St.  I can't complain.  Good acceleration and seemed much faster than the old stuff.

My only pet peeve is the set-up of the announcement program.  The policy, in both computer and manual announcements, is to announce the termination point once it gets into that borough.  So in Manhattan going southbound, it announces "Brooklyn Bound A train" and in Brooklyn it announces "Queens Bound A train".  It doesn't say the terminal till 80th St. because that is the first stop in Queens.  I will say there are excellent announcements by the computer all the way till Rockaway Blvd.  But......if you get on in Manhattan and are getting off past Rockaway Blvd., you want to know the trains' destination.   Where you embark, you might miss the scrolling sign on the outside, and/or you may not be entering at a door with the FIND.  It would be nice for the computer to be set up with the destination announced from 59th St. on.  If they don't want to do that, announce the destination at Euclid, either via computer or advise all c/r's to announce it manually.  This would also be helpful to sight impaired passengers.  Once the winter comes, it would be more comfortable for passengers to change trains at Euclid instead of Rockaway Blvd. 

I got my first ten car ride on a night (A) train that was going local from Fulton Center to Harlem - 145th Street.  I almost didn't catch it because the distance from where I was to the train was a bit too long. One thing that I found to be an advancement in the set I was in (3247 to 3243 paired with 3238 to 3242, with 3238 being the conductor car and 3247 being the operating car) was at 50th Street, where the conductor of that train turned off the Flexible Information and Notice Display and in effect the AAS program. The side destination signs were still on and the interior displays only said the time as well as to listen for announcements from the train crew. He only announced that the next stop was 59th Street. When he got to 59th Street, he turned on the FIND system and the automated announcements came back on, pointing to the next stop which was 72nd Street.

My first eight car ride was on the (C) train and it was something given how it ran express after Canal Street - Holland Tunnel to 59th Street - Columbus Circle for service improvement work. Every step of the way,another conductor kept interrupting Campion saying that it was going to run express after Canal Street to 59th Street  - Columbus Circle. He didn't interrupt her north of 59th Street.

While I believe that your peeve concerning the announcement program is valid, I also have a peeve with a different part of the announcement program - its timing. I say that because it is timed a lot longer for the 179 compared to the 160. I would propose that the timing for each announcement should be reduced considerably to like a second, similar with the announcement program along Lexington on the 142/A and Canarsie on the 143. The one particular transfer announcement that I would want improved is the one for 42 Street, where the transfers are announced after about three seconds. On my (C) train that got routed to the express, it still continued to say the rest of the transfers before saying that it was going to 168th, but it was better on the (A) train because the operator came into the stop rather slowly before the conductor opened the doors there.

Edited by 4 via Mosholu

8 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I had my first ride on a 10 car R179 yesterday.  Waited at Chambers St. for one in either direction.  Got set #2 bound for Lefferts Blvd. Rode back uptown, on the return trip it was bound for Far Rock.  I was thinking of staying on, but I had enough for one day.  Made my way home from Fulton St.  I can't complain.  Good acceleration and seemed much faster than the old stuff.

My only pet peeve is the set-up of the announcement program.  The policy, in both computer and manual announcements, is to announce the termination point once it gets into that borough.  So in Manhattan going southbound, it announces "Brooklyn Bound A train" and in Brooklyn it announces "Queens Bound A train".  It doesn't say the terminal till 80th St. because that is the first stop in Queens.  I will say there are excellent announcements by the computer all the way till Rockaway Blvd.  But......if you get on in Manhattan and are getting off past Rockaway Blvd., you want to know the trains' destination.   Where you embark, you might miss the scrolling sign on the outside, and/or you may not be entering at a door with the FIND.  It would be nice for the computer to be set up with the destination announced from 59th St. on.  If they don't want to do that, announce the destination at Euclid, either via computer or advise all c/r's to announce it manually.  This would also be helpful to sight impaired passengers.  Once the winter comes, it would be more comfortable for passengers to change trains at Euclid instead of Rockaway Blvd. 

Something similar was done on the Bronx bound (6) and <6> trains when they had R142As. Instead of northbound trains in Manhattan announcing, "This is a Bronx Bound (6) Local train" the announcements played, "This is a Pelham Bay Park bound <6> train making Express stops in the Bronx" or "This is a Parkchester bound (6) local train". I think this was done to make it clear for passengers whether the train was the Parkchester Local or Pelham Express.

Something similar can be done on the (A) where once southbound trains enter Brooklyn, they can announce, "This is a Far Rockaway Bound (A) Express Train" etc.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:01 AM, <6>PelhamExp said:

Something similar was done on the Bronx bound (6) and <6> trains when they had R142As. Instead of northbound trains in Manhattan announcing, "This is a Bronx Bound (6) Local train" the announcements played, "This is a Pelham Bay Park bound <6> train making Express stops in the Bronx" or "This is a Parkchester bound (6) local train". I think this was done to make it clear for passengers whether the train was the Parkchester Local or Pelham Express.

That announcement is exclusive for the 3rd Av 138th St bound 6 trains that short turn in the morning.

9 hours ago, Calvin said:

The 5th R179 (A) train is in passenger service, making express stops on 8 Av 

That would be 3268-3277, finally.  3278-3287 should be burning in across the next couple of weeks (til Labor Day Weekend at least).

Deliveries are completed up to 3292 as of August 19.

41 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

That would be 3268-3277, finally.  3278-3287 should be burning in across the next couple of weeks (til Labor Day Weekend at least).

Deliveries are completed up to 3292 as of August 19.

It was actually 3268-3272 with 3278-3282. The other 1/2 is with 3283-7 for testing. Seems that they jumped a few units ahead instead of number order. 

Edited by Calvin

On 8/19/2019 at 6:45 PM, 4 via Mosholu said:

I got my first ten car ride on a night (A) train that was going local from Fulton Center to Harlem - 145th Street.  I almost didn't catch it because the distance from where I was to the train was a bit too long. One thing that I found to be an advancement in the set I was in (3247 to 3243 paired with 3238 to 3242, with 3238 being the conductor car and 3247 being the operating car) was at 50th Street, where the conductor of that train turned off the Flexible Information and Notice Display and in effect the AAS program. The side destination signs were still on and the interior displays only said the time as well as to listen for announcements from the train crew. He only announced that the next stop was 59th Street. When he got to 59th Street, he turned on the FIND system and the automated announcements came back on, pointing to the next stop which was 72nd Street.

My first eight car ride was on the (C) train and it was something given how it ran express after Canal Street - Holland Tunnel to 59th Street - Columbus Circle for service improvement work. Every step of the way,another conductor kept interrupting Campion saying that it was going to run express after Canal Street to 59th Street  - Columbus Circle. He didn't interrupt her north of 59th Street.

While I believe that your peeve concerning the announcement program is valid, I also have a peeve with a different part of the announcement program - its timing. I say that because it is timed a lot longer for the 179 compared to the 160. I would propose that the timing for each announcement should be reduced considerably to like a second, similar with the announcement program along Lexington on the 142/A and Canarsie on the 143. The one particular transfer announcement that I would want improved is the one for 42 Street, where the transfers are announced after about three seconds. On my (C) train that got routed to the express, it still continued to say the rest of the transfers before saying that it was going to 168th, but it was better on the (A) train because the operator came into the stop rather slowly before the conductor opened the doors there.

The conductor never turned off the announcements, there is a glitch in the system and has to be reset at 59st. 

12 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

To make sure that the train is working properly before entering service. It is a safety hazard to put a brand new train in service without being tested first.

right , f**k around and the doors randomly open while the train is packed and moving

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, j express said:

3273-3277 and 3283-3287 now in service on the (A) as of this morning. The R179 numbers on the (A) are 3010-3019, 3238-3287 (6 sets in total). 

I guess the MTA missed another r179 deadline (ALL r179's delivered by this month), but at least progress is still being made.

44 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I guess the MTA missed another r179 deadline (ALL r179's delivered by this month), but at least progress is still being made.

7 more sets need to be delivered, by the time that draws near to complete, we’d be in January 2020.