R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

True. We might see a decrease of r32's on the A once the rest of the r179's enter service on the A. The C will definitely keep the same number of r32's and r179's until the r211's. I still believe that the G will get the r179's from the C once the r211's enter service.

I think when the R211’s arrive, the R179s will probably go to the (J) since the ENY R160A-1’s will be needed for the (L) and (M), leaving only about 64 spare cars available for the (J) (which itself needs roughly 200 cars <160 for main service and about 40 for spares>)

it is expected that for Queens Blvd CBTC, ~240 R160A-1 will he needed for the (M) including spares, and the (L) line has 64 R160A’s retrofitted for its service. This way, the cars can get rest during off-peak hours rather than be pressed into service on another route, and the spare factor can go up

Edited by darkstar8983

32 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

🤔

42651943125_dacbc8697f_b.jpg

I wonder if that picture was taken during one of those weekends when the J was running from Broad street to Metropolitan Avenue, while the M was suspended, and for some technical reason the r179 J trains were renamed as M trains.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

8 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I wonder if that picture was taken during one of those weekends when the J was running from Broad street to Metropolitan Avenue, while the M was suspended, and for some technical reason the r179 J trains were renamed as M trains.

Yeah that’s exactly when it happened. Some trains were signed up as (M) trains to ease confusion which was smart because people aren’t used to a (J) to Metropolitan Ave. 

16 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

True. We might see a decrease of r32's on the A once the rest of the r179's enter service on the A. The C will definitely keep the same number of r32's and r179's until the r211's. I still believe that the G will get the r179's from the C once the r211's enter service.

Anything is subject to change with the (MTA) but it would make a lot more sense to have all the 8 car R179s at ENY. Remember all the R42’s will be retired once the R211’s come in so they would need to be replaced with something. This is only my opinion but we shall definitely see what happens. 

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Yeah that’s exactly when it happened. Some trains were signed up as (M) trains to ease confusion which was smart because people aren’t used to a (J) to Metropolitan Ave. 

Anything is subject to change with the (MTA) but it would make a lot more sense to have all the 8 car R179s at ENY. Remember all the R42’s will be retired once the R211’s come in so they would need to be replaced with something. This is only my opinion but we shall definitely see what happens. 

The (G) is supposed to get the 8 car R179s for Crosstown CBTC when they get their CBTC retrofits.

40 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Are they getting them from the (C) or (J)/(Z)?

And where are the R68’s going to go to?

The G only has about 50 r68's, a good chunk can easily go to Concourse, which has a deficit of cars and the rest can stay at CIY and be used as spares for the B, N, W. 

And yes, crosstown CBTC will be compatible with the r179's. That's why the G will most likely get the r179's from the C. The C currently uses 11 8- car r179's, which will cover almost the whole G fleet. The G will only need 1 or 2 8-car r179's from ENY, which already has a surplus of 8 car NTT's.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

22 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The G only has about 50 r68's, a good chunk can easily go to Concourse, which has a deficit of cars and the rest can stay at CIY and be used as spares for the B, N, W. 

And yes, crosstown CBTC will be compatible with the r179's. That's why the G will most likely get the r179's from the C. The C currently uses 11 8- car r179's, which will cover almost the whole G fleet. The G will only need 1 or 2 8-car r179's from ENY, which already has a surplus of 8 car NTT's.

I think we need at least 19-20 R179 trainsets (152-160 cars) for the (G), leaving only 28-36 cars available for the (J)(Z), since the (G) requires minimum of 13 trainsets to make service (maybe bumped up to 14) and to have an appropriate spare factor. However, I think there are some R211s that are planned to arrive in 4-car sets to relieve this issue and fill in any newly caused shortages in 4-car units (either with sending more R179s to ENY or sending odd-ball R211s and keeping the R179s in Coney Island). Only time will tell and anything could happen, especially since each yard seems to be planned to be versed in handling two types of cars (ideally one, but its dependent on the number of cars required for the services assigned in each yard and the number of cars of that particular class in the fleet).

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

How come 10 wouldn’t be enough? If they’re currently using 13 4 car trains, shouldn’t 10 8 car trains do the trick?

The G having only 10 trains, regardless of length, will mean longer wait times. Ridership is increasing on the C and G in Brooklyn. That's why the both lines will become full length. It was supposed to happen this year, but since the Canarsie tunnel reconstruction was modified, it was postponed until the r211's.

39 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The G having only 10 trains, regardless of length, will mean longer wait times. Ridership is increasing on the C and G in Brooklyn. That's why the both lines will become full length. It was supposed to happen this year, but since the Canarsie tunnel reconstruction was modified, it was postponed until the r211's.

Thanks for the clarification! 👍

I guess that means the (C) line will be all R211 once they arrive?

28 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

To go into a little more detail, the number of trains on a particular line depends on its length and frequency. In the case of the (G) a round trip is around 78 minutes and the peak frequency is every 6 minutes so that's where we get the 13 trains figure from.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

The (C) would use the R179's from the (A) and  some R211's

(MTA) always plans things on paper but sometimes they change plans. take the R179's to the (G) with a grain of salt, since every tech train will have cbtc installed things could change. (MTA) in a document said Queens Blvd will be all R160 for CBTC, It looks like that won't be happening since they keep sending more R46's to Jamaica.

They're probably holding out until R211's since Queens CBTC is expected to be online by 2022, by then 50% of the R211's will be delivered and Jamaica Would get them first just to push out the R46's with addtional R160's to cover the balance until more R211's come in. then 8th ave would get their R211's.

but I would not count out the (G) getting R179's though, it all makes sense.

Edited by R32 3838