R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Wow, I didn't know that the r46's can run as 6 car trains. 

And yes, the G and C need longer trains. It will most likely happen with the r211's, when the G gets the 8 car r179's.

The R46 can run in however many pairs they want, whether it be 4 cars, 6 cars, 8 cars, even 10 cars!

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

The R46 can run in however many pairs they want, whether it be 4 cars, 6 cars, 8 cars, even 10 cars!

it's funny you mention 10 cars because for the LONGEST time I thought they always had 10. Then I found out they (and the R68/As) operate using 8 lol. I kept forgetting about the car lengths as well which is why it was kinda shocking for me.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Wow, I didn't know that the r46's can run as 6 car trains. 

And yes, the G and C need longer trains. It will most likely happen with the r211's, when the G gets the 8 car r179's.

The (G) can be 6 car (480 feet) R46's before the R211's come in since there will be extra trains. Its just the matter of adding additional spares. The only options are the R32's, 8 car R160's or 8 car R179's.

Edited by R32 3838

17 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Does anyone know if the R179s run 24/7 on the (A) or they are only restricted to day and evening-only service for the time being?

They do run 24/7. It was last seen on the (A) doing the Utica Av G/O that occured during weeknight fast track. 

9 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

There were at least nine trains of R-179's on (A) this past Sunday of December 15.

1 minute ago, Calvin said:

They do run 24/7. It was last seen on the (A) doing the Utica Av G/O that occured during weeknight fast track. 

Not surprised. Unlike the R32s of course. I would assume any R179 that remained in service on the (A) all night long didn’t fall in accordance to a scheduled layup or requested by the barn to be pulled from service for inspection.

12 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Not surprised. Unlike the R32s of course. I would assume any R179 that remained in service on the (A) all night long didn’t fall in accordance to a scheduled layup or requested by the barn to be pulled from service for inspection.

I Surprisingly caught one last night and this was around 2:30am in the morning...

On 12/23/2019 at 5:00 PM, SimplyMyself said:

Just saw two R179 cars right before the tolls on the GWB. The number plates weren’t installed on them. I guess Bombardier was rushing to deliver them lol.

Seems this set might be 3045-3049, which will wrap up this order once and for all!

For the (A), (C), or (J)/(Z) ?

21 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

@Union Tpke I was reading the R179 page on wiki and it said that two more cars were added to the order in Janurary 2019. So are there two spare cars lying around or were two of the four car sets converted into five car sets?

Two more five car sets.

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

@Union Tpke I was reading the R179 page on wiki and it said that two more cars were added to the order in Janurary 2019. So are there two spare cars lying around or were two of the four car sets converted into five car sets?

The R179 order is 316 cars. It’s almost complete. 

4 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

More R179s came in tonight. I would give you fleet numbers but they were all without number plates.

Those were the last 3 cars to be delivered - 3047/6/5.

They’ve started installing the number plates on NYCT property for some of the last few deliveries.

13 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

Those were the last 3 cars to be delivered - 3047/6/5.

They’ve started installing the number plates on NYCT property for some of the last few deliveries.

40 minutes ago, Amtrak706 said:

That's kind of bizarre, any idea why?

Sounds like they're pushing them out before the new year. Still a tad lazy, delivering an incomplete product....

1 hour ago, Missabassie said:

Sounds like they're pushing them out before the new year. Still a tad lazy, delivering an incomplete product....

How long could it possibly take to install number plates? It just seems like an odd choice for something to skip out on to save time.