R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

59 minutes ago, HazmatCat2004 said:

Has one R42 made its way onto the C???? I saw one pair shuffling on the b line! also, does anyone know when the r42s will be taken away again?? I will miss em so much

So far the J/Z. The C will stay with r32's, the A with r46's and the J/Z with r143's, r160's, and r42's.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HazmatCat2004 said:

Has one R42 made its way onto the C???? I saw one pair shuffling on the b line! also, does anyone know when the r42s will be taken away again?? I will miss em so much

Nah, a  R42 didn't run on the (C) recently... the (C) briefly used 8 car 42s in the late 2000s but it was short lived and they put the 32s back on the line, something to do with the C/R position IIRC

The 42s also ran on the (C) shorty after superstorm Sandy for some reason. I am JUST NOW finding out about 42s on the (C) in 2012, I googled "R42 C train" and these videos popped up of 42s running on the C in 2012, WTF!?!

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Enjoy the r42's, while it lasts because once the door problems on the r179's are fixed, they'll be back for good.

You don’t know that, in fact no one knows that for certain. If the issues aren’t resolved then the cars may be indefinitely removed from service. 

4 hours ago, VIP said:

You don’t know that, in fact no one knows that for certain. If the issues aren’t resolved then the cars may be indefinitely removed from service. 

From what I heard, they're keeping the R42's and all the R32's. After the bullshit with the R179's they aren't taking any chances.

7 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

From what I heard, they're keeping the R42's and all the R32's. After the bullshit with the R179's they aren't taking any chances.

Ha, this goes back to a comment I posted months ago about the r42's not being scrapped, but being preserved as an "emergency fleet" . The MTA should not scrap trains immediately after retirement.

I still feel optimistic about the r179's. Let's not forget what happened with the r46's, r68's and r142's during the first few years of service. They were pulled oos due to issues and those were massive orders compared to the r179's. These issues were fixed and all three fleets are very reliable.

The r179's are needed. Byford assured everyone that the MTA will work their butts off , inspect and fix the r179's, so that they can go back in service ASAP. Fingers crossed.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

This is what Byford said in regards to what fleets are temporarily replacing the r179's: "our team proceeded to pull all of the R179 fleet, all 298 cars, out of service and replaced them with spare cars, specifically R46s on the A, R32s on the C, and R143s, R160s, and R42s on the J. That’s for a total of 298 cars, representing around 5 percent of our total fleet." (Byford).

Byford also states that "we will not rush any cars back into service until we are wholly satisfied that it is safe to do so. So it will take as long as it safely takes because we want to ensure this process is completed as quickly and safely as possible." (Byford).

Let's not forget what happened with the r46's, r68's and r142's during the first few years of service. They were pulled oos due to issues and those were massive orders compared to the r179's.

That's my biggest gripe with this whole mess. The contract was for less than half of what Kawasaki was ultimately awarded for the R160s, and Bombardier still managed to screw it up.

23 hours ago, VIP said:

There's already aboubt 300 r179s in the yards, removing them froms service indefinitely is not an option for the MTA.

Edited by kosciusko

honestly this bullshit with the R179s just proves that the 42s and all of the 32s have to be kept around at least until the 211s set foot on property. take for example what happened back in 2008-10 when the MTA scrapped all the R40Ms and lots of Phase I 32s plus most of the 42s just to throw all the old equipment out the window but then it came back to bite when the 44s retired. 

MTA simply has to keep them on property in case events like these f**k up the road. theres simply no way theyre gonna trash the 32s/42s at this point when they had to pull an ENTIRE fleet OOS. and while they could retire them (again) when the 179 issues are fixed theres still a chance they (the 179s) can/will screw up again knowing how defective they can be...

3 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

honestly this bullshit with the R179s just proves that the 42s and all of the 32s have to be kept around at least until the 211s set foot on property. take for example what happened back in 2008-10 when the MTA scrapped all the R40Ms and lots of Phase I 32s plus most of the 42s just to throw all the old equipment out the window but then it came back to bite when the 44s retired. 

MTA simply has to keep them on property in case events like these f**k up the road. theres simply no way theyre gonna trash the 32s/42s at this point when they had to pull an ENTIRE fleet OOS. and while they could retire them (again) when the 179 issues are fixed theres still a chance they (the 179s) can/will screw up again knowing how defective they can be...

The way those cars were made, they may not last as long or have to get an overhaul on some electrical components and adjust train operation controls in the cabs.  

8 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Same goes with the r46's when the r211's enter service, and the r62's when the r262's enter service.

The MTA should be lucky that the r32's and r42's are still in better shape than the r44's.

The bottom line is that subway cars should not be scrapped immediately after retirement. They should be preserved as an "emergency fleet" until the new subway cars achieve a level of efficiency that will allow retired cars to be scrapped.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

Same goes with the r46's when the r211's enter service, and the r62's when the r262's enter service.

The MTA should be lucky that the r32's and r42's are still in better shape than the r44's.

The bottom line is that subway cars should not be scrapped immediately after retirement. They should be preserved as an "emergency fleet" until the new subway cars achieve a level of efficiency that will allow retired cars to be scrapped.

I believe they been doing that, they use to store retired R32-R42 cars at Concourse for a while before finally being transferred to 207th for reefing. I think the same was done for the Redbirds as well.

So I was randomly looking through a SubChat thread and saw this comment.

"An R179 is a R211 with 1998 color interiors. R142, R143, R160, and R188s can trainline with each other. R179s cant. R179s are an experiment of picking another generation of parts by the MTA for the R211s/R262. Door motors without limit switches, only stepper motor feedback is the "revolutionary" design on R179s." (bulk88)

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1534620&p=4

If this is accurate, then it is wise of the MTA to test these technologies on a smaller fleet, such as the R179s. It would be better to get these design flaws worked out for larger orders like the R211 and R262.

10 hours ago, VIP said:

They’re gonna be OUT for awhile... now I’m second guessing how the hell these cars passed their revenue service testing....

Let's wait and see. These cars are being inspected and any cars that pass the inspection will most likely go back in service, but those that don't, will have to be repaired before going back to service.

I wouldn't be surprised, in the best case scenario, if a few r179's go back to service some time this week. Fingers crossed!!