R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, VIP said:

They’re working in conjunction with Bombardier to revamping the door motors as the ones you notice on the R142/A equipment. Means the doors will open quickly and close with force. 

Yes, you can hear the doors on those cars open and close pretty forcefully. Hope that does the trick.

On 1/12/2020 at 2:59 AM, VIP said:

They’re gonna be OUT for awhile... now I’m second guessing how the hell these cars passed their revenue service testing....

Well, they technically didn't pass a 30 day test because they "cheated" the test.

On 1/12/2020 at 11:50 AM, SimplyMyself said:

So I was randomly looking through a SubChat thread and saw this comment.

"An R179 is a R211 with 1998 color interiors. R142, R143, R160, and R188s can trainline with each other. R179s cant. R179s are an experiment of picking another generation of parts by the MTA for the R211s/R262. Door motors without limit switches, only stepper motor feedback is the "revolutionary" design on R179s." (bulk88)

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1534620&p=4

If this is accurate, then it is wise of the MTA to test these technologies on a smaller fleet, such as the R179s. It would be better to get these design flaws worked out for larger orders like the R211 and R262.

Not accurate .

As far as technologies,  the 179s are more in line with the 143s and 160s with only small improvements here and there.  The 211s will be a whole new way of working. 

As far as trainlining current NTTs,  they only can mechanically.  Meaning, if the need to do a mix consist for a non-revenue move,  they can.   But that's it.  They won't mix well in passenger service. 

On 1/13/2020 at 7:02 PM, AJ of JGD said:

They even honked on their own.

Not what's happening. That T/O is calling for police. Why, I don't know, but that's the horn signal for police assistance. Probably an unruly passenger or something, and that's probably why they're holding in the station.

Edit: in fact, you can even see the cops arriving in that video.

Edited by MHV9218

On 1/13/2020 at 1:23 PM, VIP said:

With the new motors the doors open quicker and close with some force. Very similar motors to the R188’s 

I think some of the R143s have these motors and will be expanded to the entire fleet. R142s, 160s: don't know. 

On 1/8/2020 at 12:34 AM, danielhg121 said:

Bruh, no one really knows what's going to happen. I will assume the C is going to be all R32's if they can help it. I think that would be the easiest solution without having to swap cars back. The J/Z have to make service with whatever they got 42's and 160's, maybe a few sets of 32's. A train probably getting 46's back from Coney, it'll be interesting tomorrow. 

That's true because there were refurbished R46s on the (A). Mind you, 207 treats their R46s like shit.