R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

I was a 42 St - Port Authority yesterday and only saw R46s and R32s.... any idea when the R179s will enter service again? 

Hopefully soon.

One big lesson that the MTA needs to learn is to not sacrifice reliability over affordability.

The issues that affected the r142's should have been a very valid reason to not award the r179 contract to Bombardier.

Yes, it was more expensive for the MTA to award the r179 contract to Kawasaki, but at least they would have avoided a lot of the delays and issues that are affecting the r179's.

On 1/19/2020 at 10:12 PM, Abba said:

I went today to Jay St Metrotech to see if any R179,,s would show up. I didn’t see any... Are they going to announce when they start running again ?

No announcements will be made as such. They’re up to 96 cars of being inspected. If they go into service, it’ll be seen on the (J) first.

18 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Hopefully soon.

One big lesson that the MTA needs to learn is to not sacrifice reliability over affordability.

The issues that affected the r142's should have been a very valid reason to not award the r179 contract to Bombardier.

Yes, it was more expensive for the MTA to award the r179 contract to Kawasaki, but at least they would have avoided a lot of the delays and issues that are affecting the r179's.

Except over time, the R142s became the most reliable cars in the A-Division according to MDBF stats(before the R188s).

Edited by Cait Sith

2 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Except over time, the R142s became the most reliable cars in the A-Division according to MDBF stats(before the R188s).

To add to that..Same with the R46's....When 1st delivered those cars forced retired cars back into service at that time..40 years later R46's still making service....(MTA) will fix this R179 Door problem...

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

They became very reliable once all issues were fixed.

Hopefully, the same happens with the r179's.

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

To add to that..Same with the R46's....When 1st delivered those cars forced retired cars back into service at that time..40 years later R46's still making service....(MTA) will fix this R179 Door problem...

The MTA has no other choice (after spending a lot of $$$) than to fix the r179's.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I read somewhere that we are getting 18 additional R179 cars. Is this true??

If we are, that'll make 336 cars, enough for one more 8-car train and one more 10-car train.

Chances are, you saw the 18 that were already added as some form of compensation for the gross incompetence.

3 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

At 8:01:35, the speaker explains that the R179s will replace the R32s and R42s by the first quarter of this year. Does this include ALL R32s or some cars? I didn’t notice the speaker ever saying “ALL.” He just vaguely says that they’ll retire.

Some r32's unless ENY plans to send some r179's to 207. Even without the r42's, ENY still has a surplus of 8 car trains (All 8 car r160's, r143's plus a good chunk of r179's). The only way that all r32's can retire this year is if ENY sends 64 r179 cars to 207, which might not happen. That is why the r32's will still be needed on the C because the C doesn't have enough r179's to cover the entire fleet.

Thanks for sharing the video. 

Some of the information confirmed by the MTA in this video:

The r42's and at least some r32's will retire in the first quarter of this year.

The r211's will most likely run on the A, C, G, N, W, and possibly the E due to 8th Avenue, Astoria, and Crosstown CBTC.The r160's weren't mentioned as part of 8th Avenue CBTC.

The r262's will most likely run on the 4, 5, 6, and S (42nd St) while the 2 will keep the r142's and the rest of the r142's will eventually go to the 1 and 3. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 gets the r142A's from the 4.

The r179's will be compatible with 8th Avenue CBTC and will be back in service in a matter of days or weeks.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

12 hours ago, RedLine said:

The R179s may re-enter service this week.

I read they are close to replacing all the defective door motors, so it probably won’t be long till we see them back in service. Though I’ll be surprised if it is this week. Though there’s footage of them running simulated service.

4 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

I remember reading on the thread , somewhere on this threat the every time the R179 messes Bombar has to compensate and extra 2 cars or more. 

Personally I would like Bom to compensate the MTA by adding more trailer cars, so that MTA can do 9-car trains on the ENY lines, and the (C) as well. Though I guess that’s really more of a medium-term thing, as Metropolitan Ave (M) can’t handle anything longer than 480’, so it would have to rebuilt first. And obviously not for the R143 or R160 trains as those were built by Kawasaki, but they really should consider going to Kaw for additional trailer cars too.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

7 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

On Wikipedia it says the R179s are replacing all remaining R32s by March 2020 can anybody confirm if its true or not? 

EDIT: Nvm I didn't see the post above me yet. 

The MTA is not clear in regards to how many r32's will retire with the r42's. I guess it will depend on ENY. 

Prior to the r179's being pulled out of service, the C was only using about 40% of the remaining r32's.

In the event, all r32's are retired by March 2020, then the initial order of r211's would replace the r44's and r46's, while the option orders would replace any remaining r46's plus some, if not all r68's, which has the same age as the r62s, which will be replaced by the r262's, whereas the MTA didn't mention any specific car order for the r68's.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

25 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The MTA is not clear in regards to how many r32's will retire with the r42's. I guess it will depend on ENY. 

Prior to the r179's being pulled out of service, the C was only using about 40% of the remaining r32's.

In the event, all r32's are retired by March 2020, then the initial order of r211's would replace the r44's and r46's, while the option orders would replace any remaining r46's plus some, if not all r68's, which has the same age as the r62s, which will be replaced by the r262's, whereas the MTA didn't mention any specific car order for the r68's.

The R68s are some years younger than the R62s.