R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

No these were the extra-extra settlement cars from the door fiasco.

No, all cars are here. The 18 cars were to turn 4-car sets into 5-car sets (which turned the original 4 10-car train part into 13 10-car trains, hence the number split from 3010-3049 and then the 10-car trains beginning at 3238) 

On 2/8/2020 at 8:35 PM, Coney Island Av said:

MTA and bombardier dont even want to commit to making sure the 179s are running reliably. its pretty obvious that they (the 179s) still have door problems because A) they rushed them all back into service in only a few weeks and B) they hardly did any repairs. if they really wanted to commit to repairing the 179s properly, MTA would have sidelined them for another few more weeks or possibly months before putting them back in service. 

and lets not forget they all had a bunch of problems BEFORE testing....and they still have the same problems AFTER entering service. the 142s did have problems, but ALL of them got resolved DURING testing and they ran completely fine after entering service. and for the R68 situation, yes they experienced similar problems but all of them went through extensive work to make them run normally, unlike the 179s which still run like garbage after being rushed into service with minimal repairs. the situation for the 46s can be worse than the one for the 179s but that just goes back to @VIPs point about how technology wasnt as advanced as it is now. 

With the type of technology we have now there should be NO excuse for this kind of mayhem.

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

Has there actually been a confirmation the R32 will retire within the next couple of months?

Likewise, has there actually been a confirmation the R32 will keep running until the R211s come in?

Since you guys consider NYCTSubway as a valid source on Wikipedia, and may consider it a valid source in general...

The fact that they say "new fleet of New Technology trainsets" I believe signifies the R211s, since the R179s are essentially done testing and in-service.

Also from the ERA Bulletin October 2019:

"1,077 new Subdivision “B” cars would also be ordered as options onto our current R-211 order that will replace the R-32 class and oldest of the R-46 class cars." (page 20).

https://erausa.org/pdf/bulletin/2019/2019-10-bulletin.pdf

That's what I found. Let's see if the R32's actually pull through though.

Edited by SimplyMyself
Added link to Bulletin.

47 minutes ago, SimplyMyself said:

Since you guys consider NYCTSubway as a valid source on Wikipedia, and may consider it a valid source in general...

The fact that they say "new fleet of New Technology trainsets" I believe signifies the R211s, since the R179s are essentially done testing and in-service.

Also from the ERA Bulletin October 2019:

"1,077 new Subdivision “B” cars would also be ordered as options onto our current R-211 order that will replace the R-32 class and oldest of the R-46 class cars." (page 20).

https://erausa.org/pdf/bulletin/2019/2019-10-bulletin.pdf

That's what I found. Let's see if the R32's actually pull through though.

No, actually, the r32s will be retired this spring.

It's the last ride for the R42s, debuted in 1969

We'll be doing it again this spring, when the MTA retires the oldest of the old cars, known as the R32s, from 1964 pic.twitter.com/BtBRT2TJLY

— Dan Rivoli (@danrivoli) February 12, 2020

35 minutes ago, Metajore said:

We'll be doing it again this spring, when the MTA retires the oldest of the old cars, known as the R32s, from 1964 pic.twitter.com/BtBRT2TJLY

I honestly believe @SimplyMyself's post more. The R32s being fully retired will reduced the spare ratios severely in the east to just 40 cars total (20 for the (L) and 20 for the other eastern lines) whereas the (C) would have all 188 R179s.

Edited by Jemorie

13 hours ago, Metajore said:

I can’t see the (MTA) being that foolish to retire all the remaining R32s. Maybe half of them but certainly not all. They are still assigned on the (A) and (C) for regular service unlike the R42s that was used whenever once ENY received all its R179s.

Agreed. I did see Dan Rivoli’s report from the R42 (A) train on New York 1 yesterday about the MTA gearing up to do it again in the Spring with the R32s. Not sure where he got it from, but if he is indeed right about that, then the MTA truly never seem to learn from their mistakes. Personally, I wouldn’t retire any R32s, until there’s a significant amount of R211s in service, so that we don’t wind up with yet another shortage of cars on the B-Division.

And retiring the R32s entirely could preclude any kind of service improvement or expansion involving the Eastern Division lines. For example, a year ago, a group of Bay Ridge area pols proposed splitting the perennially unreliable (R) train into two services. A number of posters on here, including myself, suggested the possibility of running the (R) between Forest Hills and Whitehall and implementing a Nassau St service (with a different letter) to replace the (R) in Brooklyn (I also suggested extending the (W) on its same weekday hours to supplement the Nassau service). But if the R32s are completely retired this Spring, then there probably wouldn’t be enough cars for such service. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

12 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Just to clear things up MTA was gonna hold on to the R32/42s until Byford's retirement. Around that time was when the R32/42s "suddenly" retired.

Also I heard just like how Cuomo got Byford retired, I also heard he pushed for all R32s/42s to retire before March 2020. 

Is there anyway we can stop Cuomo from interfering with the subway? I have had enough of his nonsense.