R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

13 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Is there anyway we can stop Cuomo from interfering with the subway? I have had enough of his nonsense.

sadly there is nothing we can do at this moment due to the stupid liberals being blindsided and supportive of him. also hes been in power for three terms and its another two years until we have a chance to vote him out. cuomo has done nothing good except for being a total jackass to the subway system and the city as a whole. and lets not forget diblasio who is only marginally less dumb than he is. 

as for the 32s MTA will probably keep the 130 cars currently active until the 211s pass their testing. that time would make perfect sense to retire them not when we have to rely on defective 179s. in the event they do get retired soon the MTA will most definitely just mothball them until they find out they dont have any cars to make service on the (J)(Z) and will be forced to pull them back out of retirement till the 211s arrive. and according to others there apparently isnt a scrap contract yet. 

in all honesty i agree with everyone that the 32s should be kept until the 211s. they pull them out now they will have no more cars to use for service if the 179s give out again (they definitely have a high chance of doing so since the MTA did little to fix the door problems). additionally if they retire them now service increases and fleet expansion will be almost impossible to maintain and accomplish. the MTA could only get away with retiring the 42s because they were low in number (only 50 cars) and were only on limited usage throughout 2019. the 130 or so cars of 32s are probably safe for now given the rate for retired cars has temporarily stopped. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I can’t see the (MTA) being that foolish to retire all the remaining R32s. Maybe half of them but certainly not all. They are still assigned on the (A) and (C) for regular service unlike the R42s that was used whenever once ENY received all its R179s.

I agree 100%. The articles that I posted does not mention anything about the retirement of the r32's.

Therefore, I seriously doubt that ALL 222 r32's will be retired this spring. The C still needs the r32's until the r211's. 

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

36 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

sadly there is nothing we can do at this moment due to the stupid liberals being blindsided and supportive of him. also hes been in power for three terms and its another two years until we have a chance to vote him out. cuomo has done nothing good except for being a total jackass to the subway system and the city as a whole. and lets not forget diblasio who is only marginally less dumb than he is. 

as for the 32s MTA will probably keep the 130 cars currently active until the 211s pass their testing. that time would make perfect sense to retire them not when we have to rely on defective 179s. in the event they do get retired soon the MTA will most definitely just mothball them until they find out they dont have any cars to make service on the (J)(Z) and will be forced to pull them back out of retirement till the 211s arrive. and according to others there apparently isnt a scrap contract yet. 

in all honesty i agree with everyone that the 32s should be kept until the 211s. they pull them out now they will have no more cars to use for service if the 179s give out again (they definitely have a high chance of doing so since the MTA did little to fix the door problems). additionally if they retire them now service increases and fleet expansion will be almost impossible to maintain and accomplish. the MTA could only get away with retiring the 42s because they were low in number (only 50 cars) and were only on limited usage throughout 2019. the 130 or so cars of 32s are probably safe for now given the rate for retired cars has temporarily stopped. 

I guess the r42's and any retired r32's will probably be stored as "emergency fleet" and probably won't get scrapped until the r211's.

44 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Theoretically, what's stopping them from pulling the R42's back into service again? Lmao

3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Just to clear things up MTA was gonna hold on to the R32/42s until Byford's retirement. Around that time was when the R32/42s "suddenly" retired.

Also I heard just like how Cuomo got Byford retired, I also heard he pushed for all R32s/42s to retire before March 2020. 

Haha Cuomo would be the GOAT foamer villain if he forces the 32s retirement, he changed the (L) shutdown which many fanners were looking forward to which caused the RTS to be retired months earlier than planned. Caused foamer favorite Bryford to resignation and now pushed for the last of the RFW equipped cars to be retired.

If the transit community was pro wrestling Cuomo would be the biggest heel LMAO

24 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Haha Cuomo would be the GOAT foamer villain if he forces the 32s retirement, he changed the (L) shutdown which many fanners were looking forward to which caused the RTS to be retired months earlier than planned. Caused foamer favorite Bryford to resignation and now pushed for the last of the RFW equipped cars to be retired.

If the transit community was pro wrestling Cuomo would be the biggest heel LMAO

Just imagine what would have happened had Cuomo not interfered with anything.

The RTS and D60HF would still be here.

The (G) would be full length R68/R160. The (C) would be full length R46/R179.

The majority of the R32's and R42's would have still be in service.

All because someone, who has no idea how transit works, likes to be the hero in everything. 

4 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Just imagine what would have happened had Cuomo not interfered with anything.

The RTS and D60HF would still be here.

The (G) would be full length R68/R160. The (C) would be full length R46/R179.

The majority of the R32's and R42's would have still be in service.

All because someone, who has no idea how transit works, likes to be the hero in everything. 

the RTS and D60s would have still been gone by the end of last year even if he did not intervene. MTA already planned their retirement before the shutdown was changed. 

and on another topic if the MTA decides to use recently-retired R32s and even R42s in work service expect at least some R33WF work motors to be retired and eventually scrapped. it happened a few years ago when the currently stationed R32s at 36th for work service replaced R33 work motors. the R33WF work motors aren't in the best condition so its reasonable that at least some will get replaced by retired R32s in work service. 

25 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

and on another topic if the MTA decides to use recently-retired R32s and even R42s in work service expect at least some R33WF work motors to be retired and eventually scrapped. it happened a few years ago when the currently stationed R32s at 36th for work service replaced R33 work motors. the R33WF work motors aren't in the best condition so its reasonable that at least some will get replaced by retired R32s in work service. 

I wonder if they will keep 20 R32 cars for movies (especially 3670-3671, and possible the recently retired 3440-3441). If they were able to preserve R30 car 8408 plus other cars for movies in the 1990’s, then they can sure as hell keep those R32s for movies.

Though they should have some R179s used for movies as well.

Edited by JeremiahC99

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

the RTS and D60s would have still been gone by the end of last year even if he did not intervene. MTA already planned their retirement before the shutdown was changed. 

I wouldn't be surprised. I'm fact a few r42's will be preserved at the Transit Museum, perhaps as part of train of many metals.

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

The problem with that is the R33 cars can traverse the whole system while the R32 and R42 cars are limited to the B Division. My observation. Carry on.

this whole R32 thing is sadly becoming more true

The (C) will get 7 R46's like before (Disaster waiting to happen again)

the (A) will get 7 R32's until retirement (In March)

IMO they're jackasses for this, I do not know how they are gonna pull this off with barely any spares.

now the R46's will be worked to death since they're gonna Be on the (A)(G) and (N) lines 24/7. along side the (B)(C)(Q)(W) lines. their mdbf is gonna drop within months.

Now if the R179's were reliable, then yea they could have gotten away with this with 3-4 sets of R32's on standby.

in reality they only need 5-7 R32 trainsets to run.

and Alstom has outright brought Bombardier rail division so things just got more interesting. I wonder if they will deal with the R179 issues but thus is great since alstom has a great relationship with the MTA.

Cuomo has alot to do with this R32 retirement and (MTA) is bending over to take it in the ass

also if there's not enough trains, the (C) will run every 15 mins even during the rush, that's the shit that got me tight

Edited by R32 3838

The remaining cars of R32 eventually need to be gone from passenger service. 2020 should be their final year just like the current R42. They are long overdue and all were suppose to be have been gone around the same year and time, when they retired the other Subway Cars Redbirds/R32/R38/R40s/R42 and then they retired The Subway R44 because they were in bad conditions.

After when they finally retire the rest of R32 and currently R42, The B-Division will have in service R46/R68 & R68A/R143/R160/R179. The A-Division currently has R62 & R62A/R142 & R142A & R188.

Edited by bwwnyc123

1 hour ago, bwwnyc123 said:

The remaining cars of R32 eventually need to be gone from passenger service. 2020 should be their final year just like the current R42. They are long overdue and all were suppose to be have been gone around the same year and time, when they retired the other Subway Cars Redbirds/R32/R38/R40s/R42 and then they retired The Subway R44 because they were in bad conditions.

After when they finally retire the rest of R32 and currently R42, The B-Division will have in service R46/R68 & R68A/R143/R160/R179. The A-Division currently has R62 & R62A/R142 & R142A & R188.

They gonna be severely short on cars if retirement is in March as currently projected. Car shortage also means reduced service. They need to wait till the R211s. They don’t have a choice. Governor Cuomo is a complete fool and a glory ass hog. I hate him. He is the reason why the (MTA) continues to fail the public to this very day. The (MTA) is also partly at fault too since they should have ordered more R160s back then and included the R44s in their retirement list. The R44s were lemons long before they were retired earlier than planned.

Edited by Jemorie

6 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

this whole R32 thing is sadly becoming more true

The (C) will get 7 R46's like before (Disaster waiting to happen again)

the (A) will get 7 R32's until retirement (In March)

IMO they're jackasses for this, I do not know how they are gonna pull this off with barely any spares.

now the R46's will be worked to death since they're gonna Be on the (A)(G) and (N) lines 24/7. along side the (B)(C)(Q)(W) lines. their mdbf is gonna drop within months.

Now if the R179's were reliable, then yea they could have gotten away with this with 3-4 sets of R32's on standby.

in reality they only need 5-7 R32 trainsets to run.

and Alstom has outright brought Bombardier rail division so things just got more interesting. I wonder if they will deal with the R179 issues but thus is great since alstom has a great relationship with the MTA.

Cuomo has alot to do with this R32 retirement and (MTA) is bending over to take it in the ass

also if there's not enough trains, the (C) will run every 15 mins even during the rush, that's the shit that got me tight

It doesn't make sense to do a R32/R46 swap between the (A)(C) that previously didn't work out very well, I won't believe it until I see it. If the R32s are going to retire next month, hopefully the (MTA) realizes the flaws of this plan soon enough. The R46 spare rate will decrease if the R32s can't fill-in, and R46s on the (C) are another story. Also, they managed to bring the fleet down from 212 down to 122 in less than a week. Under that rate, they could've gotten rid of the R32s already. If they're going to retire, what's the point of keeping them in-service at this point, and why has the retirement rate been put to a pause?

Edited by SimplyMyself
typo

3 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

It doesn't make sense to do a R32/R46 swap between the (A)(C) that previously didn't work out very well, I won't believe it until I see it. If the R32s are going to retire next month, hopefully the (MTA) realizes the flaws of this plan soon enough. The R46 spare rate will decrease if the R32s can't fill-in, and R46s on the (C) are another story. Also, they managed to bring the fleet down from 212 down to 122 in less than a week. Under that rate, they could've gotten rid of the R32s already. If they're going to retire, what's the point of keeping them in-service at this point, and why has the retirement rate been put to a pause?

the R46's are assigned to the (C) they just happen not to pop up on it yet, imo they should just make the (C) 100% R179 and move 64 R32's to ENY for rush hour use and reserve fleet.

the governor wants them gone, originally the R32's were gonna drop to 110 anyway. that was the original plan.

trust me this will blow up in all their faces, i bet this jackass is gonna force them to put the R211's in service too fast instead of testing them

7 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

yeah and be short on cars, have you noticed that the R179's are unreliable and the spare count for the R46's will be 2 to none. every subway car in the B division is gonna take a hit and mdbf will drop system wide

So what exactly was the issue with the R46’s being on the (C) ? 

At this point I have no hope in the (MTA). They as an organization should have enough power to say that they need the R32s to maintain a spare factor until at least the end of 2021. But of course they are probably looking at this in terms of “oh we have an opportunity to save money, let’s do it”. I mean yeah there there are enough R179s to replace the all R42’s and R32s combined but why put yourselves in the same predicament as before. Hopefully something can change last minute, the (C) can’t afford anymore cuts. Make use of the cars for crying out loud. They have enough R32’s to make the (G) full length, what’s the problem? 

21 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Just to clear things up MTA was gonna hold on to the R32/42s until Byford's retirement. Around that time was when the R32/42s "suddenly" retired.

Also I heard just like how Cuomo got Byford retired, I also heard he pushed for all R32s/42s to retire before March 2020. 

20 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Guys, are there are any official sources saying that it’s Cuomo who’s pushing for the R32s to be withdrawn from service by Spring? Not that I wouldn’t be surprised if there is, because Cuomo indeed can’t seem to live without micromanaging the MTA, which is not benefiting anyone but him and his ego. 

19 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I agree 100%. The articles that I posted does not mention anything about the retirement of the r32's.

Therefore, I seriously doubt that ALL 222 r32's will be retired this spring. The C still needs the r32's until the r211's. 

Agreed. We really need those R32s until we get a decent amount of R211s in service. We really don’t need yet another B-Division car shortage.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

So what exactly was the issue with the R46’s being on the (C) ? 

At this point I have no hope in the (MTA). They as an organization should have enough power to say that they need the R32s to maintain a spare factor until at least the end of 2021. But of course they are probably looking at this in terms of “oh we have an opportunity to save money, let’s do it”. I mean yeah there there are enough R179s to replace the all R42’s and R32s combined but why put yourselves in the same predicament as before. Hopefully something can change last minute, the (C) can’t afford anymore cuts. Make use of the cars for crying out loud. They have enough R32’s to make the (G) full length, what’s the problem? 

Even with the R179's they wouldn't have enough. If the jackasses would have made this order mostly 10 cars, the everything would have been different.

when the (A) was getting the R179's, It pushed out 4 sets of R46's to Jamaica on top of loosing 3 R46's 3 years prior due to 2nd ave opening. so the spare factor for the R46's dropped and the (A) needed an R32 off the (C) with 2 cars added and that 1 R68A to make pm rush hour requirements.

the (C) would need all 188 8 car R179's to be 100% R179 with 44 car spare factor, and 24 R32's as back ups incase those R179's shit the bed again.

this would leave ENY with no spares since the R42's are gone.

the issue with the R46's on the (C) was:

1. Double ending at both terminals meaning needing extra crew to turn the trains around

2. mixed length trains that would leave people confused as well as train operators

they could have waited until the first R211 passed their 30 day test to retire the whole R32 fleet.

Guys calm down. So far, the r42's are retired. The MTA and the media has not confirmed the number of r32's that will retire within the next few weeks. Therefore, there is a possibility that some r32's may stay until the r211's. The C needs more trains, and any remaining r32's with the 8 car r179's will help improve service on that line.

Right now, ridership is growing and the least thing any commuter wants is a shortage of subway cars.

As for the r46's running on the C, is pure speculation. This information has not been confirmed.

37 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

As for the r46's running on the C, is pure speculation. This information has not been confirmed.

It isn’t speculation as @Dj Hammers confirmed it himself. According to him, it takes time for what happens on the road to reflect new assignments.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

1 minute ago, S78 via Hylan said:

It isn’t speculation as @Dj Hammers confirmed it himself. According to him, it takes time for what happens on the road to reflect new assignments.

But it still does not make sense. Why would (MTA) risk another car shortage with a significant lower spare factor just to retire the R32's? What also does not make sense is why supervision keeps changing the rules regarding R46's on the (C), they made it pretty clear last time, they do not want R46's operating in (C) service.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Guys calm down. So far, the r42's are retired. The MTA and the media has not confirmed the number of r32's that will retire within the next few weeks.

No but this was said in the news regarding the R42 retirement:

This isn't the only retirement party the MTA is planning. Later this spring, the MTA will finally retire the oldest of the old cars currently in service: the R-32s, which debuts in 1964.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2020/02/12/mta-transit-r42-subway-retire