R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

Before the swap CI had 580 R160’s (58 trains). Jamaica is only going to give 396 R46s (49.5 trains). CI is going to potentially need to have a few sets of R46s from Pitkin. So that could justify the idea of keeping some of the R32s.

this i agree with. the (J)(Z) wont be the only ones getting f**ked over but also the (A)(C) themselves if the 32s retire this early. 

CI would have to give up at the very least about 495 R160s total in order to match the original amount of R46 trainsets out of jamaica. this would leave only 85 R160s at CI (or 8.5 trains) for (N)(Q)(W) service. they could keep those 160s there but with the way the MTA decided to push the last remaining R142As off the (6) to the (4) theres a highly probable chance that even those too will go to jamaica. 

if jamaica gets all of CI's R160s CI would have to snatch a few 46s from pitkin like you stated (about 68 cars for 8.5 trains). this would leave the (A)(C) short unless they retain the R32s. 

4 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

this i agree with. the (J)(Z) wont be the only ones getting f**ked over but also the (A)(C) themselves if the 32s retire this early. 

CI would have to give up at the very least about 495 R160s total in order to match the original amount of R46 trainsets out of jamaica. this would leave only 85 R160s at CI (or 8.5 trains) for (N)(Q)(W) service. they could keep those 160s there but with the way the MTA decided to push the last remaining R142As off the (6) to the (4) theres a highly probable chance that even those too will go to jamaica. 

if jamaica gets all of CI's R160s CI would have to snatch a few 46s from pitkin like you stated (about 68 cars for 8.5 trains). this would leave the (A)(C) short unless they retain the R32s. 

I guess the MTA doesn't understand the importance of keeping a good number of spare cars in each yard. Look what happened when the r44's retired; a car shortage.

Fortunately, we haven't had a major subway crash since the 90's and we haven't had a terrorist attack in the subway system. Nevertheless, the MTA needs to be prepared for different scenarios that could potentially ruin subway cars and could require the use of spare cars to maintain service. And yes, we need to hope for the best.

Today I was on a R179 on the (A) and car 3257 didn't open... at all. So everyone had to crowd in nearby cars including the one I was in (3256), I wasn't aware what were the last 5 car #s. I even tweeted the MTA twitter and to my surprised I saw the same set going southbound later on and I guess they addressed the issue lmao.. it made me think watch them be kicked out of service.. AGAIN

3 hours ago, Emil said:

Today I was on a R179 on the (A) and car 3257 didn't open... at all. So everyone had to crowd in nearby cars including the one I was in (3256), I wasn't aware what were the last 5 car #s. I even tweeted the MTA twitter and to my surprised I saw the same set going southbound later on and I guess they addressed the issue lmao.. it made me think watch them be kicked out of service.. AGAIN

Chill out. What you saw was a (typical) car isolation.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:41 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I think instead of going back and forth about the retirement of the R32’s we should just wait and see what happens. 

Further info is probably on its way as the full retirement is in just a few months.

Edited by KK 6 Ave Local

11 hours ago, Emil said:

Since you saw that car later on back in service, that should tell you it was a car isolated enroute for being dirty.  Possibly somebody vomited in it.  Once a car cleaner at the terminal cleaned it up, it was good to go.  Happens all the time, every day with all types of equipment.

16 hours ago, Emil said:

I agree with @Billfrommaspeth and @VIP. The car was closed because it was dirty, (ex: urine, vomit, etc)

On 2/22/2020 at 12:00 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

Since you saw that car later on back in service, that should tell you it was a car isolated enroute for being dirty.  Possibly somebody vomited in it.  Once a car cleaner at the terminal cleaned it up, it was good to go.  Happens all the time, every day with all types of equipment.

ah okay, I thought it was the usual door bs that's been going on.