R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

5 minutes ago, Emil said:

ah okay, I thought it was the usual door bs that's been going on. 

Why is it that whenever an R179 has an "issue" (or even a general one on the (A) or (C) ) it automatically means a door malfunction or the R179 has broken down?

These cars are lemons but not even close to as bad as most people claim it is.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Why is it that whenever an R179 has an "issue" (or even a general one on the (A) or (C) ) it automatically means a door malfunction or the R179 has broken down?

These cars are lemons but not even close to as bad as most people claim it is.

collision pillars not properly being welded would like to say hello

that alone is very unsafe because in event if the train collides with something, anyone in that head car could die instantly

5 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

collision pillars not properly being welded would like to say hello

that alone is very unsafe because in event if the train collides with something, anyone in that head car could die instantly

He's primarily referring to in-service malfunctions.

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

He's primarily referring to in-service malfunctions.

yeah but from various TA sources, there's more than just door issues, it's gonna take awhile to kink out every problem now since they want the R32's gone. so these will have less time to get fixed until the 211's come in

this post here should further clarify what was stated by the MTA board in regards to the R32 retirement...

thanks and credits to @MHV9218. (original post in random thoughts thread, quoted it in this thread as it has do with various topics we have all been discussing here as of late) 

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

All that's happening in that board clip is that the board member is slightly misreading the chart. The chart says that by 2023, the 32s and 42s will be gone. That should be obvious according to any plan, 179s and 211s together could do that. The board member is saying shouldn't the cars be retired earlier? And the answer to that is again yes, the 42s were always expected to be retired once the 179 fleet had entered consistent service. The remark about 'phased out' is not the same as 'retired.' Going down to 110 R32s is phasing the cars out; as in, phases. That's a phase done for the first quarter of 2020. I'm yet to see evidence that the entire R32 fleet will be retired Q1 2020, and if anything that board material just proves that the MTA's only goal is to have them fully retired by 2023.

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

this post here should further clarify what was stated by the MTA board in regards to the R32 retirement...

thanks and credits to @MHV9218. (original post in random thoughts thread, quoted it in this thread as it has do with various topics we have all been discussing here as of late) 

So in other words, the MTA will  most likely stick to the original plan, which is to keep about 50% of the remaining r32's until the r211's.

15 hours ago, m7zanr160s said:

Our trains are so nerfed. They barely reach 45 on the Rockaway Flats. Anything above that has to be grade aided.

If you have a good T/O who knows how to clear the timers down there,  60 is definitely achievable. I remember some time back someone said an R68A N and an R160 Siemens were hitting 60 and 65 easily on the queens bound side. 

1 hour ago, subway4832 said:

If you have a good T/O who knows how to clear the timers down there,  60 is definitely achievable. I remember some time back someone said an R68A N and an R160 Siemens were hitting 60 and 65 easily on the queens bound side. 

I remember R46 (R) trains speeding through the 60th St Tunnel. Don’t know if they hit 65 or even 60, but it sure felt much faster than any other segment of the (R) line, including the rebuilt Montague St Tunnel. 

2 hours ago, subway4832 said:

I've seen 67 on a siemens 160 manhattan-bound. Long time ago before they dialed back performance.

2 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

I've seen 67 on a siemens 160 manhattan-bound. Long time ago before they dialed back performance.

[citation needed] on them dialing performance back. We've had the same signal design standards (=same max acceleration profile) since the mid 1990s. I suspect this was either a really good TO who knew how to play with 2 shots to make them work just right, or a broken speedo

2 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

It hadn't appeared through last Monday (February 24).

I think everybody else forgot!:blink:

So when the last train starts to operate will that end this threat?

I don’t see why the thread would end just because all cars have entered service.... People will probably still have R179 related questions/concerns they would want to bring up here.