Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R179 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

R179s on the A really don't get speedy between 59th and 125th. T/Os can't even hit 40 after 103rd 

IIRC the reason for that is timers which start around 96th. One thing that is nice about the R179s is that they accelerate faster.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The (R) train yesterday pulled 60mph in the 60th Street tunnel headed towards Queens. I was dumbfounded that the trains could go that fast 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 12:00 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

Since you saw that car later on back in service, that should tell you it was a car isolated enroute for being dirty.  Possibly somebody vomited in it.  Once a car cleaner at the terminal cleaned it up, it was good to go.  Happens all the time, every day with all types of equipment.

ah okay, I thought it was the usual door bs that's been going on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Emil said:

ah okay, I thought it was the usual door bs that's been going on. 

Why is it that whenever an R179 has an "issue" (or even a general one on the (A) or (C) ) it automatically means a door malfunction or the R179 has broken down?

These cars are lemons but not even close to as bad as most people claim it is.

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Why is it that whenever an R179 has an "issue" (or even a general one on the (A) or (C) ) it automatically means a door malfunction or the R179 has broken down?

These cars are lemons but not even close to as bad as most people claim it is.

collision pillars not properly being welded would like to say hello

 

that alone is very unsafe because in event if the train collides with something, anyone in that head car could die instantly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

collision pillars not properly being welded would like to say hello

 

that alone is very unsafe because in event if the train collides with something, anyone in that head car could die instantly

He's primarily referring to in-service malfunctions.

  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

He's primarily referring to in-service malfunctions.

 

yeah but from various TA sources, there's more than just door issues, it's gonna take awhile to kink out every problem now since they want the R32's gone. so these will have less time to get fixed until the 211's come in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (R) train yesterday pulled 60mph in the 60th Street tunnel headed towards Queens. I was dumbfounded that the trains could go that fast 

I've seen that happened many times as I used to take the 60th st tunnel on a daily basis. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (R) train yesterday pulled 60mph in the 60th Street tunnel headed towards Queens. I was dumbfounded that the trains could go that fast 

60 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is nothing wrong with the welds, it is just that the collision pillars on some cars are not based on updated specifications. Relax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

60 ?

It’s definitely possible. I’ve been on R160’s that sped up to 57-58 miles per hour. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, VIP said:

It’s definitely possible. I’ve been on R160’s that sped up to 57-58 miles per hour. 

It all depends on how efficient the Train Operator is in clearing the timers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 12:16 PM, darkstar8983 said:

The (R) train yesterday pulled 60mph in the 60th Street tunnel headed towards Queens. I was dumbfounded that the trains could go that fast 

Lol I always thought R160s max out around 56-57 mph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

Lol I always thought R160s max out around 56-57 mph

Flat ground, but downhill in 60th Street speeds pushing 60 have always been possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this post here should further clarify what was stated by the MTA board in regards to the R32 retirement...

thanks and credits to @MHV9218. (original post in random thoughts thread, quoted it in this thread as it has do with various topics we have all been discussing here as of late) 

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

All that's happening in that board clip is that the board member is slightly misreading the chart. The chart says that by 2023, the 32s and 42s will be gone. That should be obvious according to any plan, 179s and 211s together could do that. The board member is saying shouldn't the cars be retired earlier? And the answer to that is again yes, the 42s were always expected to be retired once the 179 fleet had entered consistent service. The remark about 'phased out' is not the same as 'retired.' Going down to 110 R32s is phasing the cars out; as in, phases. That's a phase done for the first quarter of 2020. I'm yet to see evidence that the entire R32 fleet will be retired Q1 2020, and if anything that board material just proves that the MTA's only goal is to have them fully retired by 2023.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

this post here should further clarify what was stated by the MTA board in regards to the R32 retirement...

thanks and credits to @MHV9218. (original post in random thoughts thread, quoted it in this thread as it has do with various topics we have all been discussing here as of late) 

So in other words, the MTA will  most likely stick to the original plan, which is to keep about 50% of the remaining r32's until the r211's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Flat ground, but downhill in 60th Street speeds pushing 60 have always been possible.

Our trains are so nerfed. They barely reach 45 on the Rockaway Flats. Anything above that has to be grade aided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, m7zanr160s said:

Our trains are so nerfed. They barely reach 45 on the Rockaway Flats. Anything above that has to be grade aided.

If you have a good T/O who knows how to clear the timers down there,  60 is definitely achievable. I remember some time back someone said an R68A N and an R160 Siemens were hitting 60 and 65 easily on the queens bound side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, subway4832 said:

If you have a good T/O who knows how to clear the timers down there,  60 is definitely achievable. I remember some time back someone said an R68A N and an R160 Siemens were hitting 60 and 65 easily on the queens bound side. 

I remember R46 (R) trains speeding through the 60th St Tunnel. Don’t know if they hit 65 or even 60, but it sure felt much faster than any other segment of the (R) line, including the rebuilt Montague St Tunnel. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, subway4832 said:

If you have a good T/O who knows how to clear the timers down there,  60 is definitely achievable. I remember some time back someone said an R68A N and an R160 Siemens were hitting 60 and 65 easily on the queens bound side. 

I've seen 67 on a siemens 160 manhattan-bound. Long time ago before they dialed back performance.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

I've seen 67 on a siemens 160 manhattan-bound. Long time ago before they dialed back performance.

[citation needed] on them dialing performance back. We've had the same signal design standards (=same max acceleration profile) since the mid 1990s. I suspect this was either a really good TO who knew how to play with 2 shots to make them work just right, or a broken speedo

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to say that the newer 10 car sets are making debut during the morning rush, yesterday I was on 3020-3029 and this morning I saw 3030-3039

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2020 at 3:36 PM, Metajore said:

Is 3040-3049 in service yet?

It hadn't appeared through last Monday (February 24).

I think everybody else forgot!:blink:

So when the last train starts to operate will that end this threat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.