R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

7 minutes ago, VIP said:

I noticed a pattern. On weekends it’s highly likely to spot R32’s on the (C) and potentially 1-2 on the (A) the R179s are in the Barn A lot. 

There's 10 trains used on the (C) during weekends and (20-something) on the (A) rotation but they are not all constantly on the road.

See what you find, assuming you're out there.  Might find a gap train somewhere that sits all weekend.

FWIW, my money is that you just won't find the R-32s anymore.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Well if that's the case then it might have been their last trips on Monday, March 16.  Just four R-32 (C) trains on the rotation for the morning rush (if that was indeed a "rush hour" LOL).

3928/29-3714/15-3477/76-3396/97.

3841/40-3736/37-3672/73-3646/47.

3727/26-3664/65-3865/64-3857/56.

3779/78-3895/94-3811/10-3513/12.

Nine R-179s, Five R-46s and Four R-32s.  That could be it!

not quite actually. on wednesday i spotted two (maybe three) consists of R32s in service on the (C)

On 3/21/2020 at 1:38 AM, Coney Island Av said:
On 3/21/2020 at 1:05 AM, m2fwannabe said:

Well if that's the case then it might have been their last trips on Monday, March 16.  Just four R-32 (C) trains on the rotation for the morning rush (if that was indeed a "rush hour" LOL).

3928/29-3714/15-3477/76-3396/97.

3841/40-3736/37-3672/73-3646/47.

3727/26-3664/65-3865/64-3857/56.

3779/78-3895/94-3811/10-3513/12.

Nine R-179s, Five R-46s and Four R-32s.  That could be it!

not quite actually. on wednesday i spotted two (maybe three) consists of R32s in service on the (C)

There were three R-32 trains on (C) both Thursday (March 19) and Friday (March 20).  Not quite always the sane consists, but overall this week there were 48 R-32s accumulating road mileage.

No more official retirements through March 20 so still 58 on fleet.  No weekend summary yet for March 21. Time will tell but 48 of 58 R-32s appears very realistic.  The other 10 would represent shop and available spares.

Lets pick up the tale for Monday (March 23).

B. Safe!

The (A) line seems like its 80 percent new tech with the new modified schedule amidst this Coronavirus outbreak and less and less crews coming to work. No R32’s in service for the foreseeable future by the way.  

Edited by VIP
R32 out of service

15 hours ago, VIP said:

The (A) line seems like its 80 percent new tech with the new modified schedule amidst this Coronavirus outbreak and less and less crews coming to work. No R32’s in service for the foreseeable future by the way.  

This makes sense given the diminished fleet requirements and the safety issue with C/Rs going between cars. Now, what I would expect is that these cars are simply held in storage for the next weeks/months, especially since the R211 order is bound to be delayed by the shutdown. But the MTA has done dumb things before, so we'll see if they scrap any of the sets before replacements have formally arrived.

On 3/25/2020 at 11:51 PM, VIP said:

That’s good because that gives a lot of the R46’s the rest they need. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

Hope everyone's staying safe but an (A) train got taken out of service this morning due to door problems. Hope we aren't doing back to January again...... 

C/Rs have been complaining about indication issues persisting. I'm not totally confident that problem was completely fixed. At least there will be no issue in terms of rolling stock flexibility if we see cars removed. Bombardier, interestingly, is still at work up in Plattsburgh. Cuomo designated them an 'essential business.'

3 hours ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

Hope everyone's staying safe but an (A) train got taken out of service this morning due to door problems. Hope we aren't doing back to January again...... 

Both SMEE's and NTT get taken OOS daily due to door problems. Scrolling thought NYCT twitter it seems like the #1 reason a train gets taken OOS is due to an door problem. I wouldn't sweat a random (A) train getting taking OOS.

26 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Both SMEE's and NTT get taken OOS daily due to door problems. Scrolling thought NYCT twitter it seems like the #1 reason a train gets taken OOS is due to an door problem. I wouldn't sweat a random (A) train getting taking OOS.

that is true, but with the R179's its been the same door idication issues and half of those door issues were R179's

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

C/Rs have been complaining about indication issues persisting. I'm not totally confident that problem was completely fixed. At least there will be no issue in terms of rolling stock flexibility if we see cars removed. Bombardier, interestingly, is still at work up in Plattsburgh. Cuomo designated them an 'essential business.'

They never completely fixed the issue, they rushed those cars back out and for the past 3 and a half months its been the same issues, mainly on the (A)  (C) lines.  if anything I would borrow R46's from CI and sideline the R179's and fix those issues since the (C) is suspended.

10 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

that is true, but with the R179's its been the same door idication issues and half of those door issues were R179's

They never completely fixed the issue, they rushed those cars back out and for the past 3 and a half months its been the same issues, mainly on the (A)  (C) lines.  if anything I would borrow R46's from CI and sideline the R179's and fix those issues since the (C) is suspended.

I don’t know how much work is being done in the barns these days. Maybe someone can clarify the CED situation for us. I watched my car being serviced and one of the service technicians said that they were only doing “one man jobs “ and they had most of their guys working. Distancing being practiced. I wonder how many people it takes to work on the door motors, much less full inspections ?  Is distancing practiced in the barns? Just asking. Carry on.

On 4/8/2020 at 2:43 AM, Trainmaster5 said:

I don’t know how much work is being done in the barns these days. Maybe someone can clarify the CED situation for us. I watched my car being serviced and one of the service technicians said that they were only doing “one man jobs “ and they had most of their guys working. Distancing being practiced. I wonder how many people it takes to work on the door motors, much less full inspections ?  Is distancing practiced in the barns? Just asking. Carry on.

I was just at Coney Island yard/barn. They practice social distancing, however the crews wear N95 masks as they still maintain the cars as normal. Although with the exception of the crew rooms and shared spaces The crew is urged to keep about 6ft from each other. It’s usually 3-5 persons per unit that needs major maintenance while its a “one man” job or a pair (2 crew maintenance personnel) to a car or even unit. They also have a Regular cleaning/sanitize schedule In place. 

On 3/25/2020 at 11:51 PM, VIP said:

How can thirteen trainsets of R179s in 10-car sets make up 80 percent of the (A)’s fleet...

3 hours ago, Jemorie said:

How can thirteen trainsets of R179s in 10-car sets make up 80 percent of the (A)’s fleet...

The r179's only represent about a third of the whole A fleet.

It seems that since service has been dramatically reduced due to crew  shortages, the MTA has been running all 13 10 car r179's plus an unknown number of r46's.

Trains have been running on a weekend or overnight schedule depending on how many crews are available.

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The r179's only represent about a third of the whole A fleet.

It seems that since service has been dramatically reduced due to crew  shortages, the MTA has been running all 13 10 car r179's plus an unknown number of r46's.

Trains have been running on a weekend or overnight schedule depending on how many crews are available.

If it weren't for the Jamaica/Coney Island fleet swap, the R46 fleet would also be "revenue inactive" along with the R32s.

Edited by darkstar8983

On 4/13/2020 at 11:29 AM, Jemorie said:

Boy, I said SEEMS LIKE. My goodness! This pandemic got some people exuding minuscule behavior. 

4 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

So it seems we lost the (C) some time ago.  Like starting March 27.

That means 3150-3237 are having a long vacation.

Can't use the 8-car R-179s on the (A)

The (C) wasn't suspended until the early evening of the 29th. Prior to that every other (A) Train went local.

On another note bunch of those R179s are laid up at 207th Street Yard.

59 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:
5 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

So it seems we lost the (C) some time ago.  Like starting March 27.

That means 3150-3237 are having a long vacation.

Can't use the 8-car R-179s on the (A)

The (C) wasn't suspended until the early evening of the 29th. Prior to that every other (A) Train went local.

On another note bunch of those R179s are laid up at 207th Street Yard.

Thank you.  I gathered that 207 Street Yard must be packed with stored equipment right now.