R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Once every 20 minutes according to the MTA website. Not sure if they’re still running Lefferts-bound (A) trains local.

Looks like (A) trains are express now in Brooklyn .(C) is every 12 minutes now 

• 1 month later...

If this is a manufacturing fault, I have to wonder at what point does the MTA just sue Bombardier for a complete breach of contract? How many major incidents must occur before they're held responsible in a fashion more than just giving the MTA a couple more cars? If this decoupling happened in one of the river tunnels or on an incline, this could've been disastrous. Bombardier was paid to produce and deliver a series of train cars that would last several decades and replace the ancient cars that are in service at the time. With the latest major incident, these new cars are once again out of service indefinitely while the situation is investigated. We cannot afford to keep a bunch of 43 ton paper weights lying around unused because they're unsafe to operate.

14 minutes ago, Lance said:

If this is a manufacturing fault, I have to wonder at what point does the MTA just sue Bombardier for a complete breach of contract? How many major incidents must occur before they're held responsible in a fashion more than just giving the MTA a couple more cars? If this decoupling happened in one of the river tunnels or on an incline, this could've been disastrous. Bombardier was paid to produce and deliver a series of train cars that would last several decades and replace the ancient cars that are in service at the time. With the latest major incident, these new cars are once again out of service indefinitely while the situation is investigated. We cannot afford to keep a bunch of 43 ton paper weights lying around unused because they're unsafe to operate.

I'm really hoping that this is an isolated incident, rather than a manufacturing fault.

10 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

This is why the JACKASSES Should have never retired a single R32 yet. I knew this would happen. They kept covering up the problems and this happens.

There's no proof it was a manufacturing issue right now. Wait until more info about this incident is released.

Looking back on the Pullman/Rockwell fiasco of the late '70s, the R32/42s may well end up becoming this decade's R16s- pressed back into service because the 'train of the future' turns out to be a lemon.

Then again, I wouldn't put it past Cuomo to prevent the old cars from returning even if the R179 situation became truly dire, him being the optics-obsessed egomaniac that he is (and always was)...

1 minute ago, Dj Hammers said:

Unfortunately can’t provide details because they aren’t set in stone (and not public info yet) but there may be some car shuffling to make service in response to the temporary removal of the R179s from service.

I presume R68As from the (B) are in play.

https://www.thecity.nyc/2020/6/3/21279505/undesired-uncoupling-leads-mta-to-pull-264-new-subway-cars-out-of-service

Until the latest problem, 264 of the agency’s 318 R179 fleet had been in service. They were pulled within hours of the uncoupling, according to spokesperson Meredith Daniels, who added that the agency has enough spare cars that it won’t need to move older units from its yards back into service.

25 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

spokesperson Meredith Daniels, who added that the agency has enough spare cars that it won’t need to move older units from its yards back into service.

I have a very hard time believing that.  Could Cuomo possibly be pulling strings behind the scenes already?

Edited by R10 2952

22 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

I have a very hard time believing that.  Could Cuomo possibly be pulling strings behind the scenes already?

Eh, hard to think he cares about car equipment with the city on fire. I also do not believe her, unless she's specifically referring to this week. Next week it's simply impossible. There are not enough available 8-car units if you remove the ENY 179 fleet and all 32s and 42s at once and expect to run anything near full service. I mean, we needed 42s to cover for the 179 removal back when 32s were still in service! Daily News already reporting that 32s will be used. Will not trust them until confirmation though.