Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R179 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, VIP said:

Jamaica Can’t afford to send their cars elsewhere at the moment. The 32’s will likely cover (C) train service and the (A) being all R46 again. 32’s won’t see (J) service. They’ll use the spare R143’s and since the (M) doesn’t go to 96-2av it freed up a few R160 sets. 

I know the (A) got R32s at one point because they were more reliable outside and with warmer weather they may decide that. The (M) on regular service runs to Forest Hills which will require more cars. 5-6 R143s will probably run the (J)(Z) and the rest will be R160. (A) will be R32/R46 and (C) will be full R46.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, VIP said:

Jamaica Can’t afford to send their cars elsewhere at the moment. The 32’s will likely cover (C) train service and the (A) being all R46 again. 32’s won’t see (J) service. They’ll use the spare R143’s and since the (M) doesn’t go to 96-2av it freed up a few R160 sets. 

 

Remember, It's hot out, Making the (C) 100% R32's would be a very bad idea knowing the the HVAC issues of the past

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

 

Remember, It's hot out, Making the (C) 100% R32's would be a very bad idea knowing the the HVAC issues of the past

 

They May make them run on the (A) alongside the R46.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand why Albany wanted to retire the R32s prematurely due to their age, but the R179s have not come without presenting some particularly concerning dangers like doors opening will trains are in motion and now an uncoupling of two cars. I'm starting to see more problems plaguing them in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I understand why Albany wanted to retire the R32s prematurely due to their age, but the R179s have not come without presenting some particularly concerning dangers like doors opening will trains are in motion and now an uncoupling of two cars. I'm starting to see more problems plaguing them in the future.

Thats understandable, but having enough cars is priority. Keeping 110 until the R211s would make sure of that. In the end, old and functioning cars are better than new cars that constantly break down and in some cases are dangerous for riders.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I understand why Albany wanted to retire the R32s prematurely due to their age, but the R179s have not come without presenting some particularly concerning dangers like doors opening will trains are in motion and now an uncoupling of two cars. I'm starting to see more problems plaguing them in the future.

Once that warranty goes away, transit will fix em up to be reliable. They will Have to get a top to bottom Heavy SMS and it would be alot easier too since its only 316 cars. The R142's had their issues but Transit fixed them up and by 2010 they became very reliable. the only reason it took so long for the R142's is because there's over 1,000 of them. As long as the body and frame is in good shape, they can make these cars reliable. Hopefully they'll be smart and invest in doing that since they're still new.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

I saw this one coming did I? 🤣😂

I literally posted about it back in Febuary when they retired hundreds of cars. I wish I could find that comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, happy283 said:

The plan of keeping only 110 did not account for another R179 removal. If they need 222, it wouldnt suprise me if they reactivated all of them. On June 8, regular service is resuming which I assume includes the restoration of the (B)(W). Is there any timeline on when the R179s will return?

 

They are not coming all out, a portion of cars were stripped for parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

 

They are not coming all out, a portion of cars were stripped for parts.

How many are in usuable condition currently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, happy283 said:

How many are in usuable condition currently?

I don't know off hand but its a very low amount, I wish someone can confirm the amount of cars that were stripped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

I don't know off hand but its a very low amount, I wish someone can confirm the amount of cars that were stripped.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1l6kZ05gU-4fMhf5rc9GX5igW6d97vq9_nn0WSJkNTxM/pub?single=true&gid=0&output=html

 

I was able to find this. The cars that are blank in the date retired section have were the ones most recently in service and are unlikely to have been stripped yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

 

Remember, It's hot out, Making the (C) 100% R32's would be a very bad idea knowing the the HVAC issues of the past

 

 

10 hours ago, happy283 said:

They May make them run on the (A) alongside the R46.

They should stay on the (C) to prevent it from being half-ass like it currently is now and to keep the fleets uniformed. Not all of them are coming back unless proven otherwise. They do not really need to go anywhere else besides the (C). The R32s have been chilling outside at 207th Street Yard all this time anyway so I believe the air compressors will be okay somewhat. Besides, overheating is not really a long process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the MTA has learned two very important lessons from this. Lesson 1 NEVER under any circumstances order from Bombardier ever again. Lesson 2 if mta orders from bombardier again 🤦🏿‍♂️ NEVER retire any fleet bombardier is replacing 

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, happy283 said:

The plan of keeping only 110 did not account for another R179 removal. If they need 222, it wouldnt suprise me if they reactivated all of them. On June 8, regular service is resuming which I assume includes the restoration of the (B)(W). Is there any timeline on when the R179s will return?

It depends. The overnight closures plus lower ridership may result in quicker inspections. If this was an isolated case and no issues are found in the rest of the r179's, then those  trains would be back in service some time next week, (best case scenario Monday).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It depends. The overnight closures plus lower ridership may result in quicker inspections. If this was an isolated case and no issues are found in the rest of the r179's, then those  trains would be back in service some time next week, (best case scenario Monday).

They are not going to want to rush this considering these are the second time this year these have been taken out of service. Plus, the overnight closures are for cleaning not inspecting.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, happy283 said:

They are not going to want to rush this considering these are the second time this year these have been taken out of service. Plus, the overnight closures are for cleaning not inspecting.

You realize cleaning up cars isn't the only thing that is done overnight right? G.O.s still ocurr even with no late night service.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, happy283 said:

They are not going to want to rush this considering these are the second time this year these have been taken out of service. Plus, the overnight closures are for cleaning not inspecting.

They are definitely not going to rush this situation, but this may impact the resumption of 100% normal weekday service. We have to wait and see what happens.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

They are definitely not going to rush this situation, but this may impact the resumption of 100% normal weekday service. We have to wait and see what happens.

It could delay the restoration of the (Z). Other than that if Pitkin/207 Borrows R46s from CI and reactivates some R32s they would have enough cars. The only issue is with the 8 car trains at ENY. But another thing to consider is that only 2 trains of R160s are assigned to the (L) when sometimes 4-5 operate on the line. This means that there could be 6 free R143s which could run alongside the 11 R160s on the (J)(Z).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jemorie said:

 

They should stay on the (C) to prevent it from being half-ass like it currently is now and to keep the fleets uniformed. Not all of them are coming back unless proven otherwise. They do not really need to go anywhere else besides the (C). The R32s have been chilling outside at 207th Street Yard all this time anyway so I believe the air compressors will be okay somewhat. Besides, overheating is not really a long process.

 

 

Not a good idea, If there's multiple hot cars, They'll be forced to suspend (C) service, Its best to Split them Between the (A) and (J) lines, They already sent 2 R160's from ENY

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, R32 3838 said:

 

 

Not a good idea, If there's multiple hot cars, They'll be forced to suspend (C) service, Its best to Split them Between the (A) and (J) lines, They already sent 2 R160's from ENY

Does this mean that it is confirmed that the (C) is getting R160s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.