R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 minute ago, buildcraftguy said:

When was the last time 160s were on the (C)? 

If I recall correctly, it was around January-March? of 2019, so over a year and a half ago. Last time I fanned a 160 (C) was at Euclid. The train was aboutta start its run then all of a sudden, the emergency brakes were pulled. From what I remember, I hear it was a bunch of high school freshmen that pulled the emergency brakes. Never really cared to find out as I was there with a few friends at the time. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

If I recall correctly, it was around January-March? of 2019, so over a year and a half ago. Last time I fanned a 160 (C) was at Euclid. The train was aboutta start its run then all of a sudden, the emergency brakes were pulled. From what I remember, I hear it was a bunch of high school freshmen that pulled the emergency brakes. Never really cared to find out as I was there with a few friends at the time. 

Yikes. Would still be interesting to see though!

1 hour ago, buildcraftguy said:

We can only hope!

I don’t! At the risk of sounding like a fan of the R179s (I’m not, though their heated seats certainly were a nice touch during the winter), the fact is we’re going to need them once we go back to regular rush hour service. Yes, they were years late, have been trouble-prone right from the start and seem to be just plain cursed. But it’s going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to make full service without them in the long term. But it should be on Bombardier’s dime, not riders’. Like Lance said a few pages back, maybe it’s time to sue Bombardier for breach of contract if possible. Because these cars have to work. The State, the MTA and we, the riders, can’t afford for these cars to be - as @Lance put it - 43-ton paperweights lying around unused. Hopefully there won’t be any bad blood created between the MTA and Alstom, who have recently acquired Bombardier Transportation. 

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I don’t! At the risk of sounding like a fan of the R179s (I’m not, though their heated seats certainly were a nice touch during the winter), the fact is we’re going to need them once we go back to regular rush hour service. Yes, they were years late, have been trouble-prone right from the start and seem to be just plain cursed. But it’s going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to make full service without them in the long term. But it should be on Bombardier’s dime, not riders’. Like Lance said a few pages back, maybe it’s time to sue Bombardier for breach of contract if possible. Because these cars have to work. The State, the MTA and we, the riders, can’t afford for these cars to be - as @Lance put it - 43-ton paperweights lying around unused. Hopefully there won’t be any bad blood created between the MTA and Alstom, who have recently acquired Bombardier Transportation. 

when do you think they will be back? And this is exactly why hundreds of cars should not have been retired just days after they returned in January. In January, full service could be operated because the 222 R32s and 50 R42s were in storage and available. Now, due to idiocy, alot of those cars were stripped for parts. You could see this coming because the R179s are the most unreliable cars and the MTAs biggest liability. Everyone complained about the R32 for reliability but at least the R32s werent a danger to the riders.

9 minutes ago, happy283 said:

when do you think they will be back? And this is exactly why hundreds of cars should not have been retired just days after they returned in January. In January, full service could be operated because the 222 R32s and 50 R42s were in storage and available. Now, due to idiocy, alot of those cars were stripped for parts. You could see this coming because the R179s are the most unreliable cars and the MTAs biggest liability. Everyone complained about the R32 for reliability but at least the R32s werent a danger to the riders.

none of the R42's were stripped and were all scattered in storage and a very low amount of R32's were stripped for parts.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Hearing from T/Os that 32s and 42s were officially re-activated today. It makes sense and it's what we're all saying but does anybody have a hard confirmation on this?

The R32s were inevitably coming back but Im not sure about the R42. Where are they going to go since ENY for some reason is sending 207 some R160s?

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

none of the R42's were stripped and were all scattered in storage and a very low amount of R32's were stripped for parts.

Well thats good. Someone else claimed that only 100/222 R32s were in usable condition but hopefully thats not the case.

32 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

From what I heard they are on standby but superintendents are trying their best to stay away from the R32s.

Appreciate the clarification.

How will they be able to stay away from them when the system is down 300 cars. The anti R32 mentality is honestly ridiculous at this point.

Just now, Fuseguy is Cool said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that R32s enter service on the (A) in the coming weeks hoping that the R179s stay Oos 

Has there been any word on how long the R179s will stay oos? Thats a pretty good possibility because there have been hvac problems having them run on full underground routes. What do you think car assignments will look like for the (A)(C)(J)(Z) during this time?

4 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Has there been any word on how long the R179s will stay oos? Thats a pretty good possibility because there have been hvac problems having them run on full underground routes. What do you think car assignments will look like for the (A)(C)(J)(Z) during this time?

Last incident that occurred, it lasted about a month before they were all placed back in-service. 

I'd assume the R179s would probably be out of service for at least two weeks. The last thing we need is for a train in service to detach at some point along its line. Literally these were one of my favorite cars because of the propulsion but after seeing all the incidents from 2017 to now, they're at the bottom of my list. The (A) (C) I'm hoping would be a few R32s, R46s and R160s and the (J)(Z) would be R143/R160. With the (M) requiring all R160s for CBTC, it will be interesting to see what happens on the Jamaica line. 

5 minutes ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

For some reason I thought the R32 HVAC was better than the R46. 

All I know is that the transfer of R32s to ENY was because of HVAC issues and unreliability resulting from the (C) being fully underground. If it was an issue with the R46, it never led to a fleet swap.

2 minutes ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

I'd assume the R179s would probably be out of service for at least two weeks. The last thing we need is for a train in service to detach at some point along its line. Literally these were one of my favorite cars because of the propulsion but after seeing all the incidents from 2017 to now, they're at the bottom of my list. The (A) (C) I'm hoping would be a few R32s, R46s and R160s and the (J)(Z) would be R143/R160. With the (M) requiring all R160s for CBTC, it will be interesting to see what happens on the Jamaica line. 

But how come ENY sent R160s to the (C) when they are already short on cars? How many of each car type will be on each line?

1 hour ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

For some reason I thought the R32 HVAC was better than the R46. 

The 32 puts out much cooler air than the 46 HVAC in my experience...  The 46 HVAC is much more reliable though as I have yet to come across a hot car in that fleet, where's it's happened quite a few times with the 32s.