R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

During the 2012 summer swap where the (C) used only R46s, the (J) used 18 R160A trains and only 2 R42s were needed for the (J),while the (L) and (M) were fully R143/R160A cars. What could be done is subtract a couple of (L) trains from rush hour service to provide only 18 TPH instead of 20TPH to slightly increase the spare factor. Maybe you could not run the (Z) train while keeping the (J) on a 7-8 minute headway also to keep spare factors reasonable.

as for the mainline, the (C) can run with all R46s, maybe on a reduced headway of every 10-12 minutes (subtracting two (C) train sets needed), and the Rockaway Park (A) trains could be suspended too (subtracting five (A) trains needed). Also the (B) could maybe be shortened to 145 St instead of Bedford Park Blvd, or run reduced service on the (B)(D)(N)(W) to free up some R46s to be moved to Pitkin. If there’s really a pinch, slightly reduce (F) train service and shift a couple of R160s to Coney Island to offset the loss of R46s. A very slight reduction across the board along all the lettered lines is a softer blow than just dropping one subway route altogether

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I don’t know. Hopefully sooner rather than later because Transit will very likely be caught flat-footed if the entire R179 fleet is still sidelined come Monday morning. 

What is it with the R32’s HVAC units that they always seem to have more problems than any other fleet? It’s been happening for many years. Maybe my memory of the other 60-foot SMEE-era cars (R38, R40 and R42) and the 75-footers rebuilt in the late 80s/early 90s is failing me, but I don’t recall the other cars’ A/C units having so much trouble. Granted, the R32s cars didn’t have A/C originally (I remember those days when they were a mainstay on the (D) ), but wasn’t the big GOH which completely gutted their interiors and took away their front marker lights and roll signs supposed to rectify this?

The R32 compressors overheat in hot tunnels and thus the A/C shutting off.

11 hours ago, happy283 said:

Lets say the R32 does not come back, then what will car assignments and service leves look like this Monday when they want full service to resume?

They need to bring them back if the R179's are not ready by Monday. We need more trains so we don't have overcrowding.

9 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Since the cats out of the bag, 

Some R32s are making the move to the (J) and heading to ENY for revenue service. Also there may be some more swaps on the way but what kind of swaps is unknown at this time. 

Some R32's were being sent to Pitkin as well

Looks like I was correct, half of them on the (A) with the other on the (J)(Z) with probably a small amount on the (C)

Edited by R32 3838

16 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Since the cats out of the bag, 

Some R32s are making the move to the (J) and heading to ENY for revenue service. Also there may be some more swaps on the way but what kind of swaps is unknown at this time. 

Any plans to reactivate the R42s? (Doubt that they will though given that they have already been officially retired, are in even worse shape than the R32s, and are such a small fleet that it probably makes more sense economically to just cut some trips instead of running those cars). 

Edited by R68OnBroadway
clarified statement

Just now, R68OnBroadway said:

Any plans to reactivate the R42s? (Doubt that they will though given that they have already been officially retired, are in even worse shape than the R32s, and are such a small fleet that it probably makes more sense economically to just cut some trips then run those cars). 

No they are not coming back at all.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The R32 compressors overheat in hot tunnels and thus the A/C shutting off.

True...I can see the rigors of an entirely underground (C) line (as well as the (E) and (R) before 2008) playing hell with the compressors. It just seems to be the most acute with the R32s versus other cars. The R46s don’t seem to have it as bad, even after decades on the entirely underground (R) and now the (C).

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

(Doubt that they will though given that they have already been officially retired, are in even worse shape than the R32s, and are such a small fleet that it probably makes more sense economically to just cut some trips instead of running those cars). 

That's an entirely reasonable assumption.  Besides, even if the R42s did come back, I don't see what the point would be of having them on the (J)/(Z).  Maybe they'd make sense as rush hour 10-car trains on the (A) (free up 40-50 more R32s for East New York to mitigate the air-conditioning issues), otherwise there's probably not much sense in it..

7 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Do you mean the (C) because I didnt hear of any 10 car transfers to Pitkin.

There was one that's 10-cars for the (A) just now: 9268-72/9333-7. The (C) has 8329-32/8341-4, and 8357-60/8369-72: 8-cars each. 

Edited by Calvin

15 minutes ago, Calvin said:

There was one that's 10-cars for the (A) just now: 9268-72/9333-7. The (C) has 8329-32/8341-4, and 8357-60/8369-72: 8-cars each. 

There are least 3 more R160 sets heading to the (A) line....   

Edited by SubBus

4 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

@R32 3838 Seems like someone already posted the move on YouTube:

Lol, the RFW is roped off, no RFW for you railfans!

With that being said, I'm seeing in this thread that 160s are heading to the (A) line!?!?! Between R46 running on the West End this weekend ( (Q) is rerouted via the West End this weekend) and possibly 160s running on the (A) , who cares about R32s coming back lol