R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

23 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

This is to EVERYBODY, not only to you Mr. Abba.

Too many of you still don't know that NYCT has their own vocabulary.  "Normal" to you guys is full service as per the timetable.  "Normal" to NYCT is all service running.  The B and W came back.  That's "Normal" to them. All services are running.  But many lines are on a SUPPLEMENT SCHEDULE.  That means fewer trains.  They don't need all those trains because there are fewer people riding.  Many businesses are STILL closed, many people are STILL working from home, there are practically NO TOURISTS.  R179's being out of service or not, they don't need all those trains, DESPITE SOCIAL DISTANCING! Finally, they are short crews as the pandemic has hit the crews big time, which has been said MANY times. 

Got it fellas?

Also, don't expect ridership to significantly increase until phase 3. I didn't get on the train yesterday, but I saw the news and the trains are still practically empty (10 people per subway car).

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

This is to EVERYBODY, not only to you Mr. Abba.

Too many of you still don't know that NYCT has their own vocabulary.  "Normal" to you guys is full service as per the timetable.  "Normal" to NYCT is all service running.  The B and W came back.  That's "Normal" to them. All services are running.  But many lines are on a SUPPLEMENT SCHEDULE.  That means fewer trains.  They don't need all those trains because there are fewer people riding.  Many businesses are STILL closed, many people are STILL working from home, there are practically NO TOURISTS.  R179's being out of service or not, they don't need all those trains, DESPITE SOCIAL DISTANCING! Finally, they are short crews as the pandemic has hit the crews big time, which has been said MANY times. 

Got it fellas?

Not disputing what your saying about MTA vocabulary but they specifically said regular weekday schedule not just “normal”.

27 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Not disputing what your saying about MTA vocabulary but they specifically said regular weekday schedule not just “normal”.

Yes.  And regular or normal weekday service to them means all lines operating.  It doesn't mean all regularly scheduled intervals.

Now if there was no thru A service from Rock Park they were being disingenuous!

57 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Yes.  And regular or normal weekday service to them means all lines operating.  It doesn't mean all regularly scheduled intervals.

Now if there was no thru A service from Rock Park they were being disingenuous!

I remember first day of school car. Instructor said " what's the difference between local and express service" ? 29 hands shot up in the room. " Express is faster" we answered. He looked around the room wiped his brow and shook his  bald head. The former Marine Corp drill instructor said that he was going to teach us the " Transit" way of thinking. In Transit world "express" means train makes less stops than the "local"  period. When I went to motors he was one of my instructors once again. He asked the exact same question again but none of his prior students were allowed to answer. Out of 30 former C/Rs 27 got it wrong. One person who got it wrong was asked to stand up in front of all of us and tell us where we went wrong. The instructor walked up to him and faced him and smiled. That student knew our instructor from way back because the instructor was my buddy's Drill Instructor in the USMC. My buddy explained there's the Marine Corp way so there must be a Transit way. They gave each other a mock salute and tensions eased around the room. I'm sure many of you have been on an express train that got re-routed to the local tracks but made express stops only behind the local. I've operated this way many times. It wasn't faster but it made less stops. That's the simplified version of what Bill is trying to tell you. Hope I haven't muddied the water. Carry on.

12 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

(A)(C) are still low on Subway cars, and (C) is currently only using R46. Subway Lines are still following Essential Service Schedule (Modified).

(C) is borrowing 2 R160 sets from ENY also. All other trains are R46.

On 6/8/2020 at 7:51 AM, Far Rock Depot said:

So they are running an expanded essential service. Not normal serviceHeadways may be longer than normal and yes,  there's no Rockaway park A service (rush hour). Only the shuttle. 

The system isn't fully back to normal. Theres still Crews out,  ridership is no where near normal,  and many people still won't be returning to work just yet. 

Trip planner and subway time may or may not be working properly. But one thing is for sure,  the schedules are still not fully 100%. And honestly, subway time was nevwe 100% working right. 

The railroads are running at about 90% it's Norman schedule and all LIRR trains are off peak. 

Don't look for normal service anytime soon.  Just because NYC is at "phase 1" of re-opening doenst mean our transit system is back to normal.   We still have the overnight closure, and extra bus service during that time. 

As of now, the (B) is still not needed.  At least not uptown.....

8 hours ago, happy283 said:

Since R160s are still bing transferred to the (A), does that mean the R179 wont be back for quite some time?

Oh dear god, you asked this question in another forum! The R One Hundred Seventy-nine cars will be out of service until further notice.

55 minutes ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

Same with the (W) lol. People in Astoria are used to just the (N) and for local south of 57th the (R) is full time. Not sure why they restored these 2 lines as phase 2 isnt even open yet.... 

To increase frequency of service and prevent any possible crowding, even though I don't expect any significant overcrowding on the subway till phase 3.

51 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The B is needed along CPW. The C is running every 15 minutes,  so the B is an excellent supplement to the C.

Well if the (B) wasnt running CI would have equipment to donate to the (C) to increase frequency.

15 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Tomorrow the (A) is supposed to go full service tomorrow. So some R32's might pop up on the (J) as more R160's might go to the (C) . The (C) will still be on a supplemental schedule.

Are more R160s being transferred to the (C).

6 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The B is needed along CPW. The C is running every 15 minutes,  so the B is an excellent supplement to the C.

The (C) is currently running at 12 minutes headways, which is good right now for CPW.   About 95% of the equipment on the (C) is R46.  The (D) is running every 8-10 minutes and running HOT!!!! There's no need for the (B) right now....

Edited by SubBus

2 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Does “normal” mean regular weekday service? Will they have enough cars to accomodate this increase in service without the R179?

In terms of frequency yes. So far, all the trains have been running on a weekday non-rush hour schedule. In other words, no B to the Bronx, no Z trains, no express 6 and 7 trains and no A to Rockaway park.

We have to wait and see how often the A and C will run tomorrow.

22 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It depends on how much equipment they have available. Unless they transfer more R160s from ENY for the (C) to free up the R46s, there may not be enough equipment until the R179s come back.

41 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

In terms of frequency yes. So far, all the trains have been running on a weekday non-rush hour schedule. In other words, no B to the Bronx, no Z trains, no express 6 and 7 trains and no A to Rockaway park.

I thought someone said the (Z) was running at one point