R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

In terms of frequency yes. So far, all the trains have been running on a weekday non-rush hour schedule. In other words, no B to the Bronx, no Z trains, no express 6 and 7 trains and no A to Rockaway park.

We have to wait and see how often the A and C will run tomorrow.

(Z) Trains are running, <6> & <7> service is running as well the (B) to bedford park all on modified schedules.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

I thought someone said the (Z) was running at one point 

It is, but unless you click on the actual stations the (Z) stops at on its line map, you wouldn’t know. They have the (Z) listed next to the 42nd St (S) in the “No Scheduled Service” section. But the line map shows a Jamaica-bound (Z) stopping at Essex at 5:02.

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

It is, but unless you click on the actual stations the (Z) stops at on its line map, you wouldn’t know. They have the (Z) listed next to the 42nd St (S) in the “No Scheduled Service” section. But the line map shows a Jamaica-bound (Z) stopping at Essex at 5:02.

They have “no scheduled service” posted under status during middays and night hours because the (Z) doesnt run middays or nights. It posts essential schedule during the times when it is scheduled to run.

3 hours ago, happy283 said:

They have “no scheduled service” posted under status during middays and night hours because the (Z) doesnt run middays or nights. It posts essential schedule during the times when it is scheduled to run.

True that the (Z) doesn’t run middays or nights. In fact it only runs for about an hour during both the morning and evening rush. But I looked at the MTA website between 4:45 and 5:00 PM today - which is during rush hours - and saw it listed there, so I wondered if maybe it might have been suspended (it wasn’t - I checked the train times at Essex and Broadway Junction, both which showed the (Z) stopping there).

12 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

True that the (Z) doesn’t run middays or nights. In fact it only runs for about an hour during both the morning and evening rush. But I looked at the MTA website between 4:45 and 5:00 PM today - which is during rush hours - and saw it listed there, so I wondered if maybe it might have been suspended (it wasn’t - I checked the train times at Essex and Broadway Junction, both which showed the (Z) stopping there).

The first departure I believe is 4:55pm from Broad St so something may have not updated yet.

Hopefully they will get them all fixed up really good and bring them back into service soon.  Just like all of the other Subway cars in service now had flaws and issues too when they first started, and then they kept on fixing them and now they are so reliable.

Edited by bwwnyc123

26 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Hopefully they will get them all fixed up really good and bring them back into service soon.  Just like all of the other Subway cars in service now had flaws and issues too when they first started, and then they kept on fixing them and now they are so reliable.

It's a good thing that these issues are happening now, when the r179's are still under warranty and ridership is very low. And yes, give it a couple of years and the r179's will be very reliable.

Also, let's cross our fingers with the r211's. Hopefully, they won't encounter as many issues as with other fleets.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It's a good thing that these issues are happening now, when the r179's are still under warranty and ridership is very low. And yes, give it a couple of years and the r179's will be very reliable.

Also, let's cross our fingers with the r211's. Hopefully, they won't encounter as many issues as with other fleets.

I'm ready for R211 also it will replacing R44 from SIR and R46 from subway and I'm ready for R262 also it will replacing R62 and R62A in 4 more years.

16 hours ago, happy283 said:

I am aware of that. I was asking if there has been any notice of their return but based on your response that doesnt look like the case.

NYCT and all MTA agencies operate very military like.  That is there are different chains of command.  Anybody who has ever worked there finds this out very quickly.   Every chain has their own set of responsibilities.  It all ends at the governors office.  Cuomo is the real head of the MTA.  The governors office has, no doubt, a big hand in the decisions about the R179's both in being removed from service and when they come back.  Nobody here, even if they had a spy in the governors office, is going to say anything.  The decision on when they come back rests with the highest levels of MTA management and the governors office in consultation with the highest suits with the Bombardier Corporation and the highest suits in the company or companies who supplied the failed hardware. 

I realize you want an answer.  There isn't one.  This is why to cover themselves from daily questions and not to put a limit on it, management says "FURTHER NOTICE".  The answer is not as simple as the Maytag guy coming to fix a your broken washing machine.

FURTHER NOTICE means they'll be back when they're back.

Sorry I can't give you the answer you desire, but anybody else in MTA management will tell you the same thing.  Be patient.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

55 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

NYCT and all MTA agencies operate very military like.  That is there are different chains of command.  Anybody who has ever worked there finds this out very quickly.   Every chain has their own set of responsibilities.  It all ends at the governors office.  Cuomo is the real head of the MTA.  The governors office has, no doubt, a big hand in the decisions about the R179's both in being removed from service and when they come back.  Nobody here, even if they had a spy in the governors office, is going to say anything.  The decision on when they come back rests with the highest levels of MTA management and the governors office in consultation with the highest suits with the Bombardier Corporation and the highest suits in the company or companies who supplied the failed hardware. 

I realize you want an answer.  There isn't one.  This is why to cover themselves from daily questions and not to put a limit on it, management says "FURTHER NOTICE".  The answer is not as simple as the Maytag guy coming to fix a your broken washing machine.

FURTHER NOTICE means they'll be back when they're back.

Sorry I can't give you the answer you desire, but anybody else in MTA management will tell you the same thing.  Be patient.

This was very helpful. Thanks!