R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

On 6/25/2020 at 1:48 AM, Rigojefte Galo said:

R142A had a door problem because the old door motor is not working some of the train so they updated the new door motor just like it happens on the R179 door problem. 

I know the R142As got the new door motor similar to the new R188s so that 2018 issue could have been the reason for that.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I guess that since ridership is still low, the MTA is not in a big hurry to put the r179's back in service. It does make sense for the MTA to take advantage of the low ridership to meticulously inspect all r179's.

Lets be patient. The r179's will most likely be back in service some time next month when ridership will be much higher than it is now.

I wouldn't be so fast to say that. NYCT needs to take their time with this to correctly perform a top-to-bottom inspection so those 179s don't fall apart for the third time. Also, saying that ridership will be "much higher" next month is nothing more than a blind opinion. It will take a good while before we see 5,000,000+ passengers taking the train everyday like they were before the pandemic. For all of those who keep asking when the 179s will be put back into service: Please stop asking. When they hit the rails again you'll see them. No one has all the answers you're looking for.

10 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I wouldn't be so fast to say that. NYCT needs to take their time with this to correctly perform a top-to-bottom inspection so those 179s don't fall apart for the third time. Also, saying that ridership will be "much higher" next month is nothing more than a blind opinion. It will take a good while before we see 5,000,000+ passengers taking the train everyday like they were before the pandemic. For all of those who keep asking when the 179s will be put back into service: Please stop asking. When they hit the rails again you'll see them. No one has all the answers you're looking for.

It's high enough where they need to run full service so people can socially distance, That's the point. if things were normal with the ridership we have now wouldn't warrant full service. but there's a pandemic still going on and every 2 weeks they are slowly easing restrictions. People tend to forget when you have all these people crowded up in a subway car, the virus can spread. Beaches are opening on the 1st and we enter phase 3 on the 6th. They need to figure it out when it comes to the R32's or the 179's or we gonna be back to square 1 and yes you have a**holes who don't wear masks so this is why they want everyone to social distance. Im f**king tired of the we don't need full service this that and the 3rd. People wanna go back to work and be safe commuting to it.

Edited by R32 3838

14 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Saw an 8-car set head northbound along the 8th Avenue Line last night, I'm assuming it went to 207.

It might have actually gone up to Concourse. There have been three 10-car sets laid up for a while, and today there was an 8-car set alongside them, which wasn't there on Wednesday.

20 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

It might have actually gone up to Concourse. There have been three 10-car sets laid up for a while, and today there was an 8-car set alongside them, which wasn't there on Wednesday.

This.

They're sending R179 cars uptown for storage(Concourse).  However, there are (J) line R179s heading up to 207Y.  A couple of R32 sets were transferred to ENYD earlier....

27 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

It's high enough where they need to run full service so people can socially distance, That's the point. if things were normal with the ridership we have now wouldn't warrant full service but there's a pandemic still going on and every 2 weeks they are slowly easing restrictions. People tend to forget when you have all these people crowded up in a subway car, the virus can spread. Beaches are opening on the 1st and we enter phase 3 on the 6th. They need to figure it out when it comes to the R32's or the 179's or we gonna be back to square 1 and yes you have a**holes who don't wear masks so this is why they want everyone to social distance. I'm f**king tired of the we don't need full service this that and the 3rd. People wanna go back to work and be safe commuting to it.

The real problem is that way too many people here in NYC don't respect the social distancing rule. Unless you have a dedicated policing squad at every station to enforce it, there's close to nothing the (MTA) can do. You can run full service with all the equipment the agency owns and it still won't be enough. There will always be careless passengers who consciously chose not to wear masks. They will always ruin it for those who do the right thing. Period. My case still stands.

35 minutes ago, SubBus said:

This.

They're sending R179 cars uptown for storage(Concourse).  However, there are (J) line R179s heading up to 207Y.  A couple of R32 sets were transferred to ENYD earlier....

that's strange on the R32 part, but we will see. Might be there just for storage

1 hour ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

T j train who is true that it will come back soon in 2 months happy283 he's very good and he tell the truth so you lied so boo get out of here T J trainman liar I believe happy283 said it takes time to get back R179. 

wtf u going on about. Out of service until FURTHER NOTICE 

Edited by nightmare402

14 hours ago, happy283 said:

R32s to re-enter service July 1. I believe 7-8 trains currently at ENY.

Confirmed by the MTA. The r179's are being thoroughly inspected by a panel of experts. I think it's an excellent move from the MTA to take advantage of the low ridership to take their time to inspect and address any additional issues with r179's. This move will help r179's return to service as a much more reliable car fleet. Let's cross our fingers.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2020/06/29/mta-to-replace-r-179-fleet-with-oldest-subway-cars-in-the-system-

4 hours ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

T j train who is true that it will come back soon in 2 months happy283 he's very good and he tell the truth so you lied so boo get out of here T J trainman liar I believe happy283 said it takes time to get back R179. 

I never specifically said two months. Its very open ended at this time. It could take two months, it could take two weeks. Nobody knows but it is good that the MTA is thoroughly inspecting these cars. Also, no need to start confrontation with other users.

Edited by happy283

21 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Confirmed by the MTA. The r179's are being thoroughly inspected by a panel of experts. I think it's an excellent move from the MTA to take advantage of the low ridership to take their time to inspect and address any additional issues with r179's. This move will help r179's return to service as a much more reliable car fleet. Let's cross our fingers.

Of the 8 sets assigned, how many will run during the average am/pm peak? Usually 10/18 trains are R160s and 9 R143s were assigned to the (J) before the (L) resumed normal service.

Edited by happy283

4 hours ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

How did you know cause I'm gonna to challenge that I don't believe that sound like you're not a MTA's workers then unless is MTA's workers. 

Two things:

1) When replying to multiple posts, please put them all into one reply.

2) Can you be less combative in your replies? There's a lot of knowledge here - from employees, industry experts, logicians, and researchers. While it's a good thing to question conclusions, flaming and gaslighting is not.

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

1) When replying to multiple posts, please put them all into one reply.

I know this wasnt directed at me but sometimes when using the mobile site, it has issues quoting multiple replies especially if they are from separate pages.

35 minutes ago, happy283 said:

I know this wasnt directed at me but sometimes when using the mobile site, it has issues quoting multiple replies especially if they are from separate pages.

Best I can recommend is clicking the link button (see arrow in the image) and pasting it. The site automatically embeds it (if you don't have that function turned off).

32-B67671-C5-FC-4020-82-B8-9841-AFC32-B3

16 hours ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

I heard R32 is borrowing on the j line but I'm hoping the R179 returns soon it takes time like at least two months. 

You are new person on this board, correct?  Or you could be a person who used to be here and left, either by your own volition or could have been terminated by a moderator and you are making a comeback under another "name".  I'm not accusing or making any conclusions, just giving the genesis on how we get new posters..  I say all this because you have a small number of posts.

Allow me to introduce myself.  I am a retired NYCT train operator and I did that for 33+ years with my first 14 months as a conductor.  I have been retired for almost 6 1/2 years.  I remain friends with many in transit and speak with them often so I know what's going on in their area.  Because of this, I know how the company structure works from experience. 

Now for everybody else here who may need this tutorial:  Working for transit is akin for working in the military, except you go home every night.  There is a rule book that applies to every employee in transit.  For Rapid Transit Operations there are General Orders, there are Bulletins;  there are Notices; there are Mandatory Compliance Directives.  Each department has these (except General Orders), and there are many departments in transit.  Is that military enough?  When the Bulletin or Notice came out in regards to the R179's being taken out of service it was very simple.  THE CARS ARE OUT OF SERVICE TILL FURTHER NOTICE.  Period.  No questions asked.  Now you guys can ask questions as to when they're coming back, speculate all you want, hope all you want, but as far as transit is concerned, there is a different department involved and when they return, the cars go to Car Equipment Dept. who in turn gives them back to Rapid  Transit Operations. That is when the cars will be back on the road. 

Nobody in transit knows when the cars will be back.  There are a lot of executive discussions and consultants involved here.  The MILITARY EQUIVALENT OF ALL THE 4 STAR GENERALS IN DISCUSSION BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.  When the OK comes from them  to run the cars again the various OK's come down the pipeline from department to department thru the "Captains" and "Lieutenants" of the various departments.  Don't forget, MTA AND NYCT are involved here.  That OK could come down tomorrow, it could come down July 1; or 15; or 30, or any day in between.  Same for August, September......  Nobody knows because the cars are OUT OF SERICE TILL FURTHER NOTICE.  I hope I accurately explained what further notice means.  

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

2 hours ago, happy283 said:

Of the 8 sets assigned, how many will run during the average am/pm peak? Usually 10/18 trains are R160s and 9 R143s were assigned to the (J) before the (L) resumed normal service.

It depends on ridership. I doubt that they will run all 8 sets. Probably, they will keep some r32's as spares. We'll have to wait and see on Wednesday. 

Also, the MTA didn't provide info on what protocols would be used to protect conductors on the r32's since they have to be switching cars.