R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

4 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I wonder what percentage of all the posts in the 383 pages of this thread are just people being impatient waiting for updates.

We were at around Page 370 when the R179s were taken oos. Now were at 384.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if they are being moved around to keep them "loose". I remember hearing that's it's not good for a train to sit idle for months at a time. This is one of reasons why on the Holiday train different cars are put on the head end every week, so the cab controls components can get their parts worked.

16 hours ago, RedLine said:

The cars that moved are getting some kind of modifications

That's good, hopefully all the premature teething issues on these subway cars will come to an end. When the R211's start arriving next year to replace the R46s, hopefully the MTA can keep 200-300 cars on the side as back trains just in case. Why don't we have a subway car reserve system like we (barely) do the buses?

On 7/16/2020 at 8:32 PM, happy283 said:

We were at around Page 370 when the R179s were taken oos. Now were at 384.

8 minutes ago, Kris Brain said:

That's good, hopefully all the premature teething issues on these subway cars will come to an end. When the R211's start arriving next year to replace the R46s, hopefully the MTA can keep 200-300 cars on the side as back trains just in case. Why don't we have a subway car reserve system like we (barely) do the buses?

The R179 is working on the link bar between train cars and there gonna test the R179 speed up to make sure is not come off again from link bar between train cars R179 will replace R32 soon as soon as possible R32 will keep on the side as a retire for at least 3 years make sure R179 is safe past 3 years just in case if issues happen again when 3 years past then there ready to send R32 gone away to recycle because R42 are gone to recycle and is similar to R160 and R179 will be held out of service until further notice if is safe period.

6 hours ago, Kris Brain said:

Thank you. Yes. The MTA should never scrap or reef cars immediately after retirement. They need to be preserved as an emergency fleet until the new cars are running in optimum condition.

It did happened with the redbirds, but it didn't happen with the r38's and the slants.

9 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Thank you. Yes. The MTA should never scrap or reef cars immediately after retirement. They need to be preserved as an emergency fleet until the new cars are running in optimum condition.

It did happened with the redbirds, but it didn't happen with the r38's and the slants.

Yeah, I mean it's common sense. I was just saying that on the bus side of things with the RTS's. They should have keep like 40-60 of the best Nova bus RTS's and most of the 2004 Orion VII OG hybrids in storage for emergencies. There should be an internal memo somewhere saying that an X amount old out going transit equipment should be sidelined just incase of teething issues or quality control problems on new equipment and that they should remain on site for up to 5 years.

On 7/16/2020 at 3:32 PM, Union Tpke said:

I wonder what percentage of all the posts in the 383 pages of this thread are just people being impatient waiting for updates.

...and what percentage of that percentage is by one person.

13 hours ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

The R179 is working on the link bar between train cars and there gonna test the R179 speed up to make sure is not come off again from link bar between train cars R179 will replace R32 soon as soon as possible R32 will keep on the side as a retire for at least 3 years make sure R179 is safe past 3 years just in case if issues happen again when 3 years past then there ready to send R32 gone away to recycle because R42 are gone to recycle and is similar to R160 and R179 will be held out of service until further notice if is safe period.

This post of yours needs to be recycled.

11 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Might want to work on punctuation, sentence structure, and facts there bud. 

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

This post of yours needs to be recycled.

For all we know, that account might be a bot or something...

1 hour ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

That gave me an idea... it would be pretty cool if someone made a bot that auto-generated comments you'd typically see on these forums, assuming that Rigojefte guy isn't a bot already.

Nah man, there's enough problems on these boards as it is... fake-accounters, necroposters, trolls, a site hack 9 years ago... last thing this place needs is bots thrown into the mix, LOL.

11 hours ago, Kris Brain said:

Yeah, I mean it's common sense. I was just saying that on the bus side of things with the RTS's. They should have keep like 40-60 of the best Nova bus RTS's and most of the 2004 Orion VII OG hybrids in storage for emergencies. There should be an internal memo somewhere saying that an X amount old out going transit equipment should be sidelined just incase of teething issues or quality control problems on new equipment and that they should remain on site for up to 5 years.

On the other hand, it is expensive to have to store and maintain such a big backup fleet, even for a few months. I'm not saying we shouldn't do it, just that there will always be pressure to get rid of old equipment

18 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

For all we know, that account might be a bot or something...

Same thing that was suggested about that NY1635 dude.... My response to that comment also applies here & I haze zero qualms about it.

I understand wanting to give people benefit of the doubt, but there are just times when you have to call a quacking duck a duck.

9 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

(remember depotofrelax?)

I'd rather not.

Edited by B35 via Church

3 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

@B35 via Church Hell I'm still trying to forget MegaWang and ShortlineBus...

I recall the name, but I don't recall anything specifically that MegaWang said/did... As for ShortlineBus, well let's just say that he wouldn't last a second in today's over-sensitive PC culture with all the (apparent) disdain he had for schoolkids in general - esp. as a black male schoolteacher (IDK what level he taught though; elementary, JHS, HS).... Although he used to cosign a lot of shit I would say on these forums, that's one thing I never liked about that dude.

On 7/18/2020 at 1:08 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The problem occurs when the incoming order equals the older equipment. Storage space is limited. The uncouth savages who frequent the system would tag anything laid up outside of the yard limits. I remember some cars awaiting disposal on the LIRR Bay Ridge tracks adjacent to the Canarsie New Lots Station back in the day where vandals and “collectors “ were scrounging around every day until the cars were moved. Heck, the first R62A consist on the (3) had to be laid up in Livonia Yard every night until security was increased at Lenox. I doubt if things are better today. My take. Carry on.

4 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

The problem occurs when the incoming order equals the older equipment. Storage space is limited. The uncouth savages who frequent the system would tag anything laid up outside of the yard limits. I remember some cars awaiting disposal on the LIRR Bay Ridge tracks adjacent to the Canarsie New Lots Station back in the day where vandals and “collectors “ were scrounging around every day until the cars were moved. Heck, the first R62A consist on the (3) had to be laid up in Livonia Yard every night until security was increased at Lenox. I doubt if things are better today. My take. Carry on.

Is also on the 4 line on New Lots Av line on overnights pass Utica  Avenue and the 3 line on New Lots Av line during the day the 3 train  during the day and the 4 train on overnights is assigned at New Lots Av yard.

On 7/18/2020 at 1:08 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The R160s was running in optimal condition once the 38s and Slants were retired.

Early on in the 160 order... At one point ALL of the Siemens 160's had to be sidelined due some kind of issue they had and 40 Slants took their place on the (N) until the issue was resolved. 

I was quite happy about that as it allowed me to get bonus rides of the 40 Slant on the (N)😁

Even then, the Slants had a stint on the (A) and (C) after that and once that issue for the Siemens 160 was resolved it was pretty much smooth sailing for the R160 order from there on out.

They also kept R40M in storage at Concourse after retirement. 

3 hours ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

Is also on the 4 line on New Lots Av line on overnights pass Utica  Avenue and the 3 line on New Lots Av line during the day and the 3 train  during the day and the 4 train on overnights is assigned at New Lots Av yard.

4 train runs local in Brooklyn to New Lots Av on overnights from 11pm to 6am usually when the 3 train ends at Brooklyn to New Lots Av from 11:30pm to 6am usually but for now the subway temporarily closed between 1am to 5am because of coronavirus and disinfect the subway trains until further notice the subway will return 24 hours as soon as possible at some point.

John Santamaria, the Vice President and Chief Mechanical Officer, New York City Transit, believes that the R179s will be back in a matter of weeks, not months. This is from the currently ongoing NYCTRC meeting. The video of the meeting should be up within a week or so.

Edited by Union Tpke