R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

John Santamaria, the Vice President and Chief Mechanical Officer, New York City Transit, believes that the R179s will be back in a matter of weeks, not months. This is from the currently ongoing NYCTRC meeting. The video of the meeting should be up within a week or so.

Thanks for sharing the information. As the days go by, I feel confident that those r179's will return like a "phoenix bird", strong and more reliable. I am really glad that the MTA took advantage of the low ridership to meticulously inspect and address any issues that the r179's have.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/23/2020 at 3:22 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Thanks for sharing the information. As the days go by, I feel confident that those r179's will return like a "phoenix bird", strong and more reliable.

They need to be rebuilt ASAP by a manufacturer that isnt Bombardier. Then they will be more reliable but until then there will be constant issues. While it is good they thoroughly inspected the cars,  ot everything is foreseeable. More issues are probably to come.

Let's see what they learn from this order moving forward.

Both divisions will be desperate for more equipment within the next 5 year window.   SMEE trains in both divisions are closing in on 40 years old.  Hopefully the next delivery will be that of a more durable product. 

1 hour ago, happy283 said:

They need to be rebuilt ASAP by a manufacturer that isnt Bombardier. Then they will be more reliable but until then there will be constant issues. While it is good they thoroughly inspected the cars,  ot everything is foreseeable. More issues are probably to come.

R179 subway cars is going to take time to return in service.

So I witnessed another mention that the R179 cars have some parts supplied by WABTEC including the link part that separated taking them OOS. Any more details on this? This would be quite alarming if true considering that now they're replacing all of their older reliable diesel work units with... WABTEC built hybrid - electric diesels

On 7/25/2020 at 2:00 PM, 4P3607 said:

So I witnessed another mention that the R179 cars have some parts supplied by WABTEC including the link part that separated taking them OOS. Any more details on this? This would be quite alarming if true considering that now they're replacing all of their older reliable diesel work units with... WABTEC built hybrid - electric diesels

All cars with WABTEC couplers are being looked at.

On 7/25/2020 at 1:30 AM, Late Clear said:

Let's see what they learn from this order moving forward.

Both divisions will be desperate for more equipment within the next 5 year window.   SMEE trains in both divisions are closing in on 40 years old.  Hopefully the next delivery will be that of a more durable product. 

It's not always good to go for the lowest bidder? Lol. I'm still sniffing around in the yards asking RCI's. The strongest one is they will def be back before the year is out. When the F comes off a supplement schedule the 160's on the A will have to return pretty much putting a deadline on the 179's return.

8 hours ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

You sure it's not in september

I don't know when because no date updated has not announced yet they will announced when I'll let you know if the R179 is returns back in the passenger service.

Edited by Rigojefte Galo
For announcements about R179

8 hours ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

You sure it's not in september

It's probably by that month. What I checked now, R179s are going for inspection and not ready for service during the first week of next month. But, by late August, they'll announce an exact date. 

Edited by Calvin

4 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Yes, no need to rush the R179s back into service. Best to make sure they don’t have yet another big mechanical problem when they go back in service. The R32s will hold down the fort on the (J) and (Z).

I agree. Ridership is still low. Also, the temporary r160's are holding down the fort on the A.

12 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

they not going back until September, (Late August seems likely by luck) but they are waiting on parts. The Link Bars aren't the only issue with these cars.

Shocker! Return them immediately, sue bombardier and exercise the option order of R211s to replace these pieces of junk. They will break down again, just wait. I prediced this would happen in February and everybody doubted me, no look.

6 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I agree. Ridership is still low. Also, the temporary r160's are holding down the fort on the A.

11 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Yes, no need to rush the R179s back into service. Best to make sure they don’t have yet another big mechanical problem when they go back in service. The R32s will hold down the fort on the (J) and (Z).

Just goes to show we didnt really need these cars to begin with. Even back in January when Jamaica didnt have all these R160s to offer, the system still managed fine with the R32s and R42s.

4 hours ago, happy283 said:

Shocker! Return them immediately, sue bombardier and exercise the option order of R211s to replace these pieces of junk. They will break down again, just wait. I prediced this would happen in February and everybody doubted me, no look.

Just goes to show we didnt really need these cars to begin with. Even back in January when Jamaica didnt have all these R160s to offer, the system still managed fine with the R32s and R42s.

How do you know the R211 will be a reliable train out the gate? Or even a good train in general?  R142A, M9 are a few Kawasaki products that had issues when new.

And we do need the R179, R32 and R42 are 50+ years old. Their MDBF was much lower than every other car class on the fleet. Despite the issues the R179 still had a much higher MDBF than the R32/R42. 179s offer improved passenger amenities, smoother rides and FIND, etc. R32 was a good train in 1975 and the R42 in the 90s and early 2000s but their time has come. 32s are have chronic door and A/C problems, they need to go.

3 hours ago, happy283 said:

Actually we did (and do) really need them. We had a car shortage in the B-Division after the R44s got pulled from service due to structural issues. Implementing the current (M) service helped somewhat, because many of the Jamaica R46s that ran on the (V) were sent to Pitkin to run on the (A) and Rockaway Park (S). But that was a stopgap solution; it couldn’t continue indefinitely. And they had to halt the disposal of the R42s. We’re ok making service now due to the depression ridership. But that’s not going to last forever. Neither will the R32s.

And suing Bombardier doesn’t mean they can get rid of the R179s entirely. The MBTA sued Breda (now part of Hitachi) over their Type 8 streetcars due to them having braking issues and consistently derailing on the Green Line tracks. Breda countered that the T didn’t properly maintain the tracks. And more than half the cars in the Type 8 order hadn’t even been built yet. The T ultimately accepted nearly the entire order (95 out of 100 cars) with five car shells put in storage to repair damaged car bodies. There’s more here if you’re interested - http://transithistory.org/roster/. Maybe this was something the MTA should have looked out for. But then again, Breda (later Ansaldobreda, now Hitachi) have never bit on an NYCT subway contract and the Bombardier R142s were one of the best performing fleets in the system at the time the R179 contract was awarded (still are today). 

7 hours ago, happy283 said:

Yes, we do. If it weren't for the pandemic the A and C would be jammed packed with the current headways. Also, keep in mind that is summer and it has been very hot. Why do you think that the small portion of r32's are running on the J/Z?

On 7/25/2020 at 2:00 PM, 4P3607 said:

WABTEC supplies a *ton* of parts to practically every railroad system though. In a way they're 'too big to fail,' whereas Bombardier has other companies that do exactly the same work (ie, Kawasaki). I wouldn't count out the whole WABTEC company because of a specific part problem. Westinghouse has been supplying the NYC subway for most of the last 100 years.

Edited by MHV9218

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

WABTEC supplies a *ton* of parts to practically every railroad system though. In a way they're 'too big to fail,' whereas Bombardier has other companies that do exactly the same work (ie, Kawasaki). I wouldn't count out the whole WABTEC company because of a specific part problem. Westinghouse has been supplying the NYC subway for most of the last 100 years.

I’m glad to see that you and T to Dyre Avenue understand the manufacturing and the supply chain aspects of railcar construction. Judging by some previous postings it’s obvious that many people don’t have a clue about the process. Unless there’s an exclusive consortium set up for specific car type most final assemblers use whatever is on the market at the time. It boils down to price and (probably) timely availability for the final assemblers to fulfill the contract. Someone mentioned to me that the PATH cars are basically R142 units in another thread. One can look at the US auto industry and the same thing applies. Same thing in South Korea or Japan. I know that if Bombardier would leave the rail car business today Kawasaki, Alstom, a Chinese unknown company, or whomever took it’s place would still be limited to the same group of suppliers. The R211 will face the same limitations. Hopefully the next combination of parts fares better. The sky ain’t falling. Just my observation. Carry on.

12 hours ago, happy283 said:

Hey stop telling false not you other people THE R211 will be delay they were supposed to deliver last month july is because of R179 dealing issues fix new modifications R179 will be back by the end of this month or September once there done dealing R179 issues then it will come next R211 which will Replace R46 subway transit and R44 on staten island railway. 

Edited by Rigojefte Galo
For announcements about R179 and R211

4 minutes ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

Hey stop telling false THE R211 will be delay they were supposed to deliver last month july

So how would a train model that hasn't started construction yet, have been delivered last month?

Edited by Deucey

2 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

July was the original delivery date. Because of COVID there are delays with suppliers so the cars will obviously be delivered later.

That's another good answer and especially during R179 dealing with issues I haven't seen how new modifications works, on R160 similar never had a problem but R142 is also made from bombardier that some mechanical had a problem too and R179 are made in Canada and assembled to new york plattsburgh and About the board announcements on the ceiling in the train it looks similar R142 white announcements board and R179 black announcements board I could tell the difference between each other.