R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Deucey said:

So how would a train model that hasn't started construction yet, have been delivered last month?

first 10 cars already 80% to 100% done. It's just delayed due to the plant in nebraska being closed for 2-3 weeks

3 hours ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

Hey stop telling false not you other people THE R211 will be delay they were supposed to deliver last month july is because of R179 dealing issues fix new modifications R179 will be back by the end of this month or September once there done dealing R179 issues then it will come next R211 which will Replace R46 subway transit and R44 on staten island railway. 

Stop quoting me to respond with nonsense gibberish that nobody can understand. Sensible opinions are always welcome but nobody can understand anything you say.

8 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Yes, we do. If it weren't for the pandemic the A and C would be jammed packed with the current headways. Also, keep in mind that is summer and it has been very hot. Why do you think that the small portion of r32's are running on the J/Z?

Not exactly, the (A)(C) is running its normal weekday schedule because Pitkin has a substantial amount of loans from Jamaica. 

16 hours ago, happy283 said:

Shocker! Return them immediately, sue bombardier and exercise the option order of R211s to replace these pieces of junk. They will break down again, just wait. I prediced this would happen in February and everybody doubted me, no look.

Just goes to show we didnt really need these cars to begin with. Even back in January when Jamaica didnt have all these R160s to offer, the system still managed fine with the R32s and R42s.

so what if the last of the working 32s and 42s break down while we wait for the 211s ? Then what ?

58 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

(C) isn't normal, Still on a 12 to 15 min headway

Exactly and if it weren't for the pandemic this headway would mean serious overcrowding due to the C currently being low on cars and the r32's won't do any good because it is summer and the C runs entirely underground.

1 hour ago, happy283 said:

Stop quoting me to respond with nonsense gibberish that nobody can understand. Sensible opinions are always welcome but nobody can understand anything you say.

I'm so sorry about that excusement I'm mean I believe everyone by the way but I was following the news I didn't mean to by the way. 

15 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

(C) isn't normal, Still on a 12 to 15 min headway

14 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Exactly and if it weren't for the pandemic this headway would mean serious overcrowding due to the C currently being low on cars and the r32's won't do any good because it is summer and the C runs entirely underground.

Its 12 mins not 15. But since the (C) is now 100% full length there is more capacity per train. Jamaica could also send more R160s to pitkin for the (A) to free up more R46s for the (C).

14 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

so what if the last of the working 32s and 42s break down while we wait for the 211s ? Then what ?

The R32s have been doing fine on the (J). While the old trains may have some issues, they are definately safer than the R179s as they have never decoupled or had their doors open mid route.

Edited by happy283

41 minutes ago, happy283 said:

The R32s have been doing fine on the (J). While the old trains may have some issues, they are definately safer than the R179s as they have never decoupled or had their doors open mid route.

I can assure you that the R32's have indeed have door or doors open enroute at one time or another over their 55+ year lifetime, even since GOH!

You did use the word "never".

34 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I can assure you that the R32's have indeed have door or doors open enroute at one time or another over their 55+ year lifetime, even since GOH!

I've definitely seen it. For example, when I was riding car #3820 on 1/22/20, a set of doors did pop open slightly when the train would roughly brake. I don't see it commonly, but it does happen

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Wasn't there a train of R32s that decoupled on the (J), or am I thinking of the R42s?

On 8/1/2020 at 9:50 AM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

And suing Bombardier doesn’t mean they can get rid of the R179s entirely. The MBTA sued Breda (now part of Hitachi) over their Type 8 streetcars due to them having braking issues and consistently derailing on the Green Line tracks. Breda countered that the T didn’t properly maintain the tracks. And more than half the cars in the Type 8 order hadn’t even been built yet. The T ultimately accepted nearly the entire order (95 out of 100 cars) with five car shells put in storage to repair damaged car bodies. There’s more here if you’re interested - http://transithistory.org/roster/. Maybe this was something the MTA should have looked out for. But then again, Breda (later Ansaldobreda, now Hitachi) have never bit on an NYCT subway contract and the Bombardier R142s were one of the best performing fleets in the system at the time the R179 contract was awarded (still are today). 

23 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I know that if Bombardier would leave the rail car business today Kawasaki, Alstom, a Chinese unknown company, or whomever took it’s place would still be limited to the same group of suppliers. The R211 will face the same limitations. Hopefully the next combination of parts fares better. The sky ain’t falling. Just my observation. Carry on.

And they will be leaving the rail car business. I discovered an article about European Union regulators giving their blessings for Alstom to acquire Bombardier’s rail division. More here - https://www.france24.com/en/20200731-all-aboard-eu-approves-alstom-s-purchase-of-bombardier-rail-unit. So now it’s a matter of when Bombardier exits the rail car business. And going back to my earlier post about suing, it really wouldn’t help matters if the MTA attempted to sue with Alstom in charge of Bombardier’s former assets, especially since Alstom also employs many people in New York State and would likely continue to employ many of Bombardier’s soon-to-be former workers.

5 hours ago, happy283 said:

Its 12 mins not 15. But since the (C) is now 100% full length there is more capacity per train. Jamaica could also send more R160s to pitkin for the (A) to free up more R46s for the (C).

Speaking of old trains perhaps you’re unfamiliar with the incident on the (A) line years ago where the T/O pulled into Utica Avenue heading northbound ? Where the doors failed to open after he stopped. Because the rear four cars of the R46 consist, including the C/R, had uncoupled and were left back at Rockaway Avenue on the express tracks. That train was in passenger service which I know because my mom was on the section left behind. The investigation included a person who knew about a train that uncoupled at 145th and Lenox. That train was not in passenger service . It was a yard move and I know firsthand because I was on the end that got left behind. Be careful when you make these statements that sound definitive to others because some of us know better. Carry on.

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Speaking of old trains perhaps you’re unfamiliar with the incident on the (A) line years ago where the T/O pulled into Utica Avenue heading northbound ? Where the doors failed to open after he stopped. Because the rear four cars of the R46 consist, including the C/R, had uncoupled and were left back at Rockaway Avenue on the express tracks. That train was in passenger service which I know because my mom was on the section left behind. The investigation included a person who knew about a train that uncoupled at 145th and Lenox. That train was not in passenger service . It was a yard move and I know firsthand because I was on the end that got left behind. Be careful when you make these statements that sound definitive to others because some of us know better. Carry on.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up; some of the others on here act like the R179 situation was a total shocker.  To me it wasn't.  Not after all the incidents I heard about that happened in the late '70s and early '80s- traction motors falling out of their mounts, exploding controllers, R12/14/15 consists so shot that they didn't have enough power to make it up the grades in the Joralemon and Clark tubes, and so on.  

Not sure why people take cleanliness and error-free operation for granted these days, but I suspect it has something to do with the 24-hour news cycle, social media and instant gratification.  21st-century society in a nutshell i guess.

Personally, I think the MTA's primary motivation for pulling the R179s and keeping them out of service for so long probably has something to do with litigation/liability/lawyers- another thing in the present day that we have way too much of.

Edited by R10 2952

6 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Perhaps I should rephrase similar statements going forward.

6 hours ago, 1train2255railfan said:

I've definitely seen it. For example, when I was riding car #3820 on 1/22/20, a set of doors did pop open slightly when the train would roughly brake. I don't see it commonly, but it does happen

That must have not been nearly as bad as what happened with the R179s in January because there wasnt a 2 week period when the R32s were taken out for door inspections resulting from this.

Even being a kid back in the late 80s, I remember constantly reading stories about people getting dragged (sometimes to their deaths) when doors closed on their bags, and didn't re-open or trigger a stop like they were supposed to. My parents always taught me to stay out of the doors when they were closing because these kinds of things do happen. 

Yeah that actually remained a problem right up until the Redbirds retired in 2003; after GOH, they started wearing down again mechanically.  To paraphrase what was said by another member here several years ago, it was the result of multiple circuit failures within the door control system giving false positives- the end result was definitely shitty. 

Now that I think of it, most of the Redbirds were in bad shape already in the late '90s.  Either mechanical wrecks or rusting through.  Not to mention all the cars with busted A/C, much more than the R32s.

Edited by R10 2952

40 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Yeah, unexpected incidents like this happen all the time.  Why bother keeping track? It's not a contest...

Because you gotta make sure it's an R179 that way you can be able to yell Bombardier sucks cry all night and make sure to grab your lawyer to sue a company that will transfer it's rail division to someone else.

/s

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
In case you are blind, yes I'm being sarcastic, some of you actually keep on sounding like this