R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

16 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Two (J) trains got taken OOS due to mechanical problems this afternoon, no idea what equipment it was (Saw it on NYCT twitter)

Also seen an 8 car R160 NIS passing though Marcy Ave Manhattan bound yesterday in the middle of rush hour! I assume it was going to CI Overhaul shop to get some kind of work done, just odd to see such a move done in the middle of rush hour.

Trains are not allowed to be transferred between locations during the rush hour.

Either one of 2 things likely happened: the train went out of service enroute due to a mechanical defect or the train, or there was no c/r available at the point of origin and a c/r off the board at another location was on his way to Broad St. to pick up the train for it's northbound trip.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

The A line has been back to regular schedule for several weeks now. 

Just because you've been seeing more R160's on the A doesn't mean more there are more on the line since no doubt you haven't been out there long enough to book every train on the line.  Or have you?  There are no assigned R160 slots, and there are no assigned R46 slots.  As you know it takes a Far Rock train longer to make a round trip than it takes a Lefferts train to make a round trip.  Sometimes at 207 it is necessary for a train from Lefferts to leave as a train to Far Rock and vice versa.  You could be at a station for 45 minutes and see a bunch of R46's and surmise that there are fewer R160's (or more) yet the equipment happens to be running consecutively or almost consecutively.   

I noticed that but the R179 is still not back yet because the MTA's haven't announced yet they still going on inspections until further notice R160 is temporarily running on the A and C line and R32 is temporarily running on the J and Z line once there with the inspections and then they'll go back to passenger service.

Edited by Rigojefte Galo
R179 subway cars updated

On 8/8/2020 at 1:42 PM, Rigojefte Galo said:

About 13 trains running on the A train temporarily and 11 train running on the C train temporarily so far.

Since when are the 10 car R160 loans running on the (C)? I though they were exclusively for the (A).

I haven't seen R160s on the (C) since it had those two sets from ENY. I seriously doubt there's 11 sets of 160s running on the (C) ..... would be nice If there was 11 sets on the (C) though lol. R160 have great A/C where 46s A/C is very hit or miss with more misses.....

NTT HAVC's are lovely this time of year, prefer the SMEEs during the spring/fall/winter though.

Edited by trainfan22

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 7:25 PM, Rigojefte Galo said:

I noticed that but the R179 is still not back yet because the MTA's haven't announced yet they still going on inspections until further notice R160 is temporarily running on the A and C line and R32 is temporarily running on the J and Z line once there with the inspections and then they'll go back to passenger service.

I am well aware of all that.

14 hours ago, happy283 said:

Since when are the 10 car R160 loans running on the (C)? I though they were exclusively for the (A).

Very simple.

If there was a bad ordered R46 C train and it went to the yard, and the only replacement the yard had was an R160, that is what it will be rather than having the C line short a train with an OK train available.

No doubt that R160 would go to 207 or Pitkin when the C closes down for the night with a swap of equipment for the next morning.

On 8/10/2020 at 10:38 PM, trainfan22 said:

I haven't seen R160s on the (C) since it had those two sets from ENY. I seriously doubt there's 11 sets of 160s running on the (C) ..... would be nice If there was 11 sets on the (C) though lol. R160 have great A/C where 46s A/C is very hit or miss with more misses.....

NTT HAVC's are lovely this time of year, prefer the SMEEs during the spring/fall/winter though.

I agree, although the r68's HVAC is pretty good. I have taken the D from upper Manhattan to Coney Island multiple times and sometimes I get cold on the train.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I agree, although the r68's HVAC is pretty good. I have taken the D from upper Manhattan to Coney Island multiple times and sometimes I get cold on the train.

I read this sources about R68 was also became a lemon long time ago back in 1980s because they had a same problem just like R179 but not anymore the R68 is been better for a long time but it will happen to R179 to get better too I heard about all this information about it.

Edited by Rigojefte Galo
About subway cars information

On 8/7/2020 at 2:08 AM, Rigojefte Galo said:

I have another question about R179 did they fix the broken one between train cars like the link bar on the 5 sets numbered on between 3288 and 3292 cars because I was just asking I also heard on the news I was just wondering if they fix it?

Like I said I was asking this question any updated yet did they fix this broken R179 5 cars of sets numbered between 3288 and 3292 the link bar or not yet?

Did they order the new springs to attach 3 springs between train cars to turn left and right safety or not yet?

21 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Very simple.

If there was a bad ordered R46 C train and it went to the yard, and the only replacement the yard had was an R160, that is what it will be rather than having the C line short a train with an OK train available.

No doubt that R160 would go to 207 or Pitkin when the C closes down for the night with a swap of equipment for the next morning.

Someone said earlier that there were 11 R160s on the (C). It seems highly unlikely that 11 R46s all on the (C) broke down and that 11 R160s just happened to be available.

3 hours ago, happy283 said:

Someone said earlier that there were 11 R160s on the (C). It seems highly unlikely that 11 R46s all on the (C) broke down and that 11 R160s just happened to be available.

I find that laughable without proof.  All of a sudden 11 R160's on the C?  No way, especially last Sat./8 and Sun./9 there were all R46's on the C. 

On 8/11/2020 at 12:28 AM, Around the Horn said:

He's referring to these

50199963017_2e6e0759f7_b.jpg

50199149738_7e94196b79_b.jpg

Why are they putting those ugly things on the outside of the train. It makes sense on the R32s with the half cabs but when have you ever seen people crowding arounding the cabs when waiting on the platform?

2 hours ago, happy283 said:

Why are they putting those ugly things on the outside of the train. It makes sense on the R32s with the half cabs but when have you ever seen people crowding arounding the cabs when waiting on the platform?

They're being put on because the suits want them on! 

As I've said before, transit is akin to the military.  You are being paid to do a job.  You do what the generals tell you to do without questioning every little thing, if you want to keep your job!

There are a lot of things "the troops" have to do that may make little sense to the riders/railfans/buffs.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

They're being put on because the suits want them on! 

As I've said before, transit is akin to the military.  You are being paid to do a job.  You do what the generals tell you to do without questioning every little thing, if you want to keep your job!

There are a lot of things "the troops" have to do that may make little sense to the riders/railfans/buffs.

I mean why would the higher ups feel a need to instruct workers to do this? I understand that employees have to do alot of pointless things to keep their jobs, but it can be baffling from an outsiders perspective sometimes.

15 hours ago, happy283 said:

A TfL worker in London died from the coronavirus after an angry passenger spit on her so it's not that crazy of an idea...

Why they think stickers adequately solve that issue is beyond me.

13 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

A TfL worker in London died from the coronavirus after an angry passenger spit on her so it's not that crazy of an idea...

Why they think stickers adequately solve that issue is beyond me.

If a passenger is angry enough to spit at transit personnel to begin with, I dont think a sticker will stop them. All this stuff they are doing is just PR. The stickers on platforms don’t work, and the chains on the R32s haven’t been to successful either. So what makes people think that a sticker on the trains exterior will help?

3 hours ago, happy283 said:

If a passenger is angry enough to spit at transit personnel to begin with, I dont think a sticker will stop them. All this stuff they are doing is just PR. The stickers on platforms don’t work, and the chains on the R32s haven’t been to successful either. So what makes people think that a sticker on the trains exterior will help?

The (empty) suits think up these ideas in order to justify their jobs.   If they didn't think of any "new initiatives", then their jobs would be unnecessary as they would be showing top MTA brass (and the governor) that their jobs are not necessary.  They do the same in stuff that the public does not see (always new rules and spending $2 to save $1 in employee benefits) for example.

IDK if you (and others who read this) have a full time job or not.  If not,  your "provider" knows that what I said above includes mostly all big companies.  It's the American way of conducting business.

Any MTA/NYCT employee knows exactly what I'm talking about.  If any of you young railfans here have aspirations of working for any MTA agency sometime, well, you will see this as true first hand.

If you think the transit suits will stop coming up with ideas that won't work in the real world, but will work in theory,  I have a worn out bridge in my neighborhood to sell you.

One final example: has the signage and announcements about the penalties of assaulting transit workers stopped assaults?  HELL NO!

Edited by Bill from Maspeth