R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

On 8/15/2020 at 11:53 AM, happy283 said:

I mean why would the higher ups feel a need to instruct workers to do this? I understand that employees have to do alot of pointless things to keep their jobs, but it can be baffling from an outsiders perspective sometimes.

Because “we’re the big bosses and we said so!” Seems to be the reason for many decisions the higher-ups make. Though they’ll always use some current event as a way to legitimize said decisions (like when they went timer-crazy on the express tracks on many routes)

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

The (empty) suits think up these ideas in order to justify their jobs.   If they didn't think of any "new initiatives", then their jobs would be unnecessary as they would be showing top MTA brass (and the governor) that their jobs are not necessary.  They do the same in stuff that the public does not see (always new rules and spending $2 to save $1 in employee benefits) for example.

IDK if you (and others who read this) have a full time job or not.  If not,  your "provider" knows that what I said above includes mostly all big companies.  It's the American way of conducting business.

Any MTA/NYCT employee knows exactly what I'm talking about.  If any of you young railfans here have aspirations of working for any MTA agency sometime, well, you will see this as true first hand.

If you think the transit suits will stop coming up with ideas that won't work in the real world, but will work in theory,  I have a worn out bridge in my neighborhood to sell you.

One final example: has the signage and announcements about the penalties of assaulting transit workers stopped assaults?  HELL NO!

Is it me or does a sticker always seem to be the solution the transit suits come up with every time they have a problem? Clearly, it’s not working. Like you said, it hasn’t stopped assaults on transit workers. It also hasn’t stopped people from passing through subway cars (especially panhandlers!). It hasn’t even stopped people from holding doors open. Really, I think the only way you’re ever going to stop that is to have a basketball arena-style (same as the one used on Paris’ Metro) horn sound while the doors automatically start closing. Like how some elevators buzz and the doors automatically slide shut when they’re held open too long. It’s probably too late for the R179s or any other of the current fleets to be retrofitted with this technology, but maybe the R211s ought to get it.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Because “we’re the big bosses and we said so!” Seems to be the reason for many decisions the higher-ups make. Though they’ll always use some current event as a way to legitimize said decisions (like when they went timer-crazy on the express tracks on many routes)

Is it me or does a sticker always seem to be the solution the transit suits come up with every time they have a problem? Clearly, it’s not working. Like you said, it hasn’t stopped assaults on transit workers. It also hasn’t stopped people from passing through subway cars (especially panhandlers!). It hasn’t even stopped people from holding doors open. Really, I think the only way you’re ever going to stop that is to have a basketball arena-style (same as the one used on Paris’ Metro) horn sound while the doors automatically start closing. Like how some elevators buzz and the doors automatically slide shut when they’re held open too long. It’s probably too late for the R179s or any other of the current fleets to be retrofitted with this technology, but maybe the R211s ought to get it.

Other people don't care about it or criminal because for now is against the law because of coronavirus because we want to wear a mask or face covering and social distance because we wanted to protect everybody who ever don't have mask they gonna have to leave the system and they will get a 200 dollar ticket without mask I suggest follow the rules for now. 

Edited by Rigojefte Galo
About safety for covid-19.

On 8/16/2020 at 1:45 PM, happy283 said:

If a passenger is angry enough to spit at transit personnel to begin with, I dont think a sticker will stop them. All this stuff they are doing is just PR. The stickers on platforms don’t work, and the chains on the R32s haven’t been to successful either. So what makes people think that a sticker on the trains exterior will help?

I'm sure some MTA in-house lawyer told them that these stickers will reduce the MTA's liability if they ever get sued by an employee who was injured

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm sure some MTA in-house lawyer told them that these stickers will reduce the MTA's liability if they ever get sued by an employee who was injured

Pretty much; that's what a lot of their behind-the-scenes reasoning has degenerated into since the '90s. 

Edited by R10 2952

On 8/16/2020 at 1:45 PM, happy283 said:

If a passenger is angry enough to spit at transit personnel to begin with, I dont think a sticker will stop them. All this stuff they are doing is just PR. The stickers on platforms don’t work, and the chains on the R32s haven’t been to successful either. So what makes people think that a sticker on the trains exterior will help?

They should add the cations words on the yellow stickers because of coronavirus that will help. 

On 8/21/2020 at 9:04 PM, Rigojefte Galo said:

R179 is still not back yet because they are still dealing with the new modifications cars. 

There is no rush for the r179's to return to service. Ridership is still low. This long absence will be good for the r179's and for A, C , J/Z riders because these thorough investigation and repairs will make the r179's much more reliable. Don't be surprised if 18 to 24 months from now, the r179's become one of the best fleets in the B division just like the r142's in the A division.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

There is no rush for the r179's to return to service. Ridership is still low. This long absence will be good for the r179's and for A, C , J/Z riders because these thorough investigation and repairs will make the r179's much more reliable. Don't be surprised if 18 to 24 months from now, the r179's become one of the best fleets in the B division just like the r142's in the A division.

It's a wait and see at this point, The R142's are different from the R179's

19 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

It's a wait and see at this point, The R142's are different from the R179's

Can agree with him on that this, we don't know for sure what is happening with the R179's still. I doubt the MTA themselves know either since there are a low number of people working because of the pandemic. Granted, the amount of R179 cars are significantly lower than the R142's, this doesn't mean that they shouldn't have been brought back sooner either. I'm just hoping when the R179's return and they will return, that there are little to no issues for more than just half a year. The fact that a second incident happened in less than 6 months proves that the MTA shouldn't take any chances with anything else with them. I would argue it is the MTA's fault for their incompetence in bringing back the R179's 1 week later, but it wouldn't be the MTA with them not being incompetent now would it.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:39 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Dont get too ahead of yourself. They will probably be reliable enough where they can run without having to be constantly sidelined but I dont think they will be the best of the B division.

10 hours ago, happy283 said:

Dont get too ahead of yourself. They will probably be reliable enough where they can run without having to be constantly sidelined but I dont think they will be the best of the B division.

Let's see what happens. The r179's may not be #1 in the B division, but two years from now, the r32's will be history, the r46's will be retiring, a good number of r211's will be in service, but who knows what issues they will encounter. Therefore, in 2022 the r179's will be competing with the r68's, r143's and the strongest fleet of the B division: the r160's. 

13 hours ago, happy283 said:

Yes and no... The R142s did have a similar career trajectory. Such a turnaround for the R179s would clearly be the best case scenario.

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Let's see what happens. The r179's may not be #1 in the B division, but two years from now, the r32's will be history, the r46's will be retiring, a good number of r211's will be in service, but who knows what issues they will encounter. Therefore, in 2022 the r179's will be competing with the r68's, r143's and the strongest fleet of the B division: the r160's. 

Well, the part with the "a good number of r211's will be in service," all we know are the base order numbers. I'm pretty sure with the MTA's current financial situation, they won't be able to go for the order options at all or if and only if we are lucky, they can order a few extra for the promised R211T's which at this point is a pretty low chance of them buying. We've already have many vandalized subway cars like on the (2)(4), and (7), especially the (7) which has costed the MTA a good chunk of money to replace each and every window that was damaged. Some might argue that isn't enough nearly enough to really hurt the MTA, but the MTA hasn't really been collecting enough money or getting any federal funding, but who knows. Hopefully they do plan on going for the order options and getting a few extra R211's to help with service as COVID is still a huge problem and I doubt we will be getting back to normal anytime soon.

3 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Well, the part with the "a good number of r211's will be in service," all we know are the base order numbers. I'm pretty sure with the MTA's current financial situation, they won't be able to go for the order options at all or if and only if we are lucky, they can order a few extra for the promised R211T's which at this point is a pretty low chance of them buying. We've already have many vandalized subway cars like on the (2)(4), and (7), especially the (7) which has costed the MTA a good chunk of money to replace each and every window that was damaged. Some might argue that isn't enough nearly enough to really hurt the MTA, but the MTA hasn't really been collecting enough money or getting any federal funding, but who knows. Hopefully they do plan on going for the order options and getting a few extra R211's to help with service as COVID is still a huge problem and I doubt we will be getting back to normal anytime soon.

Luckily, we have elections this year. I'm hoping that someone who is pro mass transit becomes the next Secretary of Transportation so that he/she can bailout the MTA and invest more money on mass transit projects nationwide. Sorry that I went off topic, but I want to encourage everyone who is 18 and over to vote this November.

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Luckily, we have elections this year. I'm hoping that someone who is pro mass transit becomes the next Secretary of Transportation so that he/she can bailout the MTA and invest more money on mass transit projects nationwide. Sorry that I went off topic, but I want to encourage everyone who is 18 and over to vote this November.

Well it wouldn't just be the Federal Government that is screwing the MTA, but it would also be both Cuomo and Deblasio for their incompetence in not knowing how transit works.

On 8/16/2020 at 4:48 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Really, I think the only way you’re ever going to stop that is to have a basketball arena-style (same as the one used on Paris’ Metro) horn sound while the doors automatically start closing. Like how some elevators buzz and the doors automatically slide shut when they’re held open too long.

Given that people put up with the emergency exit sound I don't think this would work either.

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

Given that people put up with the emergency exit sound I don't think this would work either.

Even if the affected door starts sliding shut after being held for too long? The Paris Metro “arena horn” is a much louder, shriller sound than the emergency exit sound. Plus once you open the emergency gates, you’re walking away from them and the sound gets lower as you do. That wouldn’t be the case with this horn unless you’re on the platform and you walk away (it would be limited to the affected doorway(s), not the entire train).

Though I do think about the legal issues that could arise from someone getting caught in the door if they slide shut and the person doesn’t get out of the way in time. But then again, there are office buildings and even court houses whose elevator doors buzz and automatically close if held open too long. I’d like to think they have some sort of legal strategy in place to handle such issues.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

16 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Well it wouldn't just be the Federal Government that is screwing the MTA, but it would also be both Cuomo and Deblasio for their incompetence in not knowing how transit works.

That is because they are not getting enough funding from the federal government for the MTA.

Remember the state and the city are broke as a result of the pandemic. Also, state and local governments would be more efficient if the federal government is efficient. Right now, we have a Senate that is divided and a president who is trying to be a dictator and Republicans are against mass transit.

The MTA will get out of this financial hole when #45 is voted out and the Democrats take over the Senate as well as maintaining the House. Hopefully, Bloomberg, who is now a Democrat, can become the Secretary of Transportation, since he is really pro mass transit.

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

That is because they are not getting enough funding from the federal government for the MTA.

Remember the state and the city are broke as a result of the pandemic. Also, state and local governments would be more efficient if the federal government is efficient. Right now, we have a Senate that is divided and a president who is trying to be a dictator and Republicans are against mass transit.

The MTA will get out of this financial hole when #45 is voted out and the Democrats take over the Senate as well as maintaining the House. Hopefully, Bloomberg, who is now a Democrat, can become the Secretary of Transportation, since he is really pro mass transit.

Horseshit.  Trump is an a**hole, yes, but the State and City were passing the buck with the MTA like a hot potato long before Donnie Boy ever appeared on the political horizon.

Cuomo was talking about "reorganizing" (really just making the organization even more subservient to him while continuing to cut funding in the process) long before coronavirus.  Same thing with deBlasio; he was bitching that the City was being asked to contribute too much to transit when in actuality the City hadn't paid their fair share in funding for years- this was back in 2015.

Let's not pretend like it was all milk and roses with the City and State; why would them being more efficient be dependent on the feds being more so? You want to vote out Trump and the Senate Republicans great, I think that's a good start.  But it's not going to stop the governor and mayor from continuing to be jerkoffs, unless you vote them out as well.

And Bloomberg, seriously? Were you not around when he was mayor? He didn't give two shits about mass transit.  He was also a petty dictator much like Trump and Cuomo, unless you've forgotten how he bought himself a third term.

The MTA will never get out of any financial hole if they continue to be plagued by the holy trinity of municipal, state, and their own mismanagement.

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Horseshit.  Trump is an a**hole, yes, but the State and City were passing the buck with the MTA like a hot potato long before Donnie Boy ever appeared on the political horizon.

Cuomo was talking about "reorganizing" (really just making the organization even more subservient to him while continuing to cut funding in the process) long before coronavirus.  Same thing with deBlasio; he was bitching that the City was being asked to contribute too much to transit when in actuality the City hadn't paid their fair share in funding for years- this was back in 2015.

Let's not pretend like it was all milk and roses with the City and State; why would them being more efficient be dependent on the feds being more so? You want to vote out Trump and the Senate Republicans great, I think that's a good start.  But it's not going to stop the governor and mayor from continuing to be jerkoffs, unless you vote them out as well.

And Bloomberg, seriously? Were you not around when he was mayor? He didn't give two shits about mass transit.  He was also a petty dictator much like Trump and Cuomo, unless you've forgotten how he bought himself a third term.

The MTA will never get out of any financial hole if they continue to be plagued by the holy trinity of municipal, state, and their own mismanagement.

Speaking of deBlasio, I remember back when he rode the (6) for probably the first time in his life a year or two ago...

And with the transit projects that he's proposing, he just wants to make a name for himself with that waterfront streetcar...

And despite bickering with Cuomo over who's responsible for the (MTA), they both have the same attitude regarding the whole (MTA) operation.

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

16 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Speaking of deBlasio, I remember back when he rode the (6) for probably the first time in his life a year or two ago...

And with the transit projects that he's proposing, he just wants to make a name for himself with that waterfront streetcar...

And despite bickering with Cuomo over who's responsible for the (MTA), they both have the same attitude regarding the whole (MTA) operation.

Cuomo and DiBlasio need to put their differences aside if they want NY to bounce back and move forward. Otherwise, this bickering can make New Yorkers do the terrible mistake of voting for a Republican mayor and governor. 

The Republican party has demonstrated throughout this pandemic that they don't care about the working class. They only care about themselves. 

Going back to the MTA this came out today.

https://www.amny.com/news/transit-news/fare-increase-of-1-and-service-cuts-by-40-could-follow-layoffs-at-mta-due-to-covid-19/

3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Cuomo and DiBlasio need to put their differences aside if they want NY to bounce back and move forward. Otherwise, this bickering can make New Yorkers do the terrible mistake of voting for a Republican mayor and governor. 

The Republican party has demonstrated throughout this pandemic that they don't care about the working class. They only care about themselves. 

Going back to the MTA this came out today.

https://www.amny.com/news/transit-news/fare-increase-of-1-and-service-cuts-by-40-could-follow-layoffs-at-mta-due-to-covid-19/

There's plenty of establishment Democrats who fit that description as well.  It's not just one party or the other that's the problem; it's the whole system that's wrong.

Fortunately, it may be (slowly) changing.  That hack Eliot Engel lost his primary a few weeks ago- been wanting to see the guy kicked out for years now.  Hoping more people like Jamaal Bowman will get involved in the process over time and kick out other mediocre incumbents.  Maybe then the system will start to change for the better.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:09 AM, R10 2952 said:

There's plenty of establishment Democrats who fit that description as well.  It's not just one party or the other that's the problem; it's the whole system that's wrong.

With the caveat that one is like getting a bloody nose from a punch and the other is like getting your kneecaps busted with a bat.

On 8/26/2020 at 10:59 AM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Republican mayor is extremely unlikely if the Republicans keep running people like Malliotakis and Dietl. Even Bloomberg was an independent in the later years, and the current status of the GOP would not tolerate someone with any hint of lefty tendencies.

Republican governor is more likely because upstate and the suburbs can swing for Republicans.

The problem with NYC and NYS government is that they rely on an executive with strong, emperor-like powers, which only works if both get along and are competent people. The former is currently definitely not true and the latter is debatable at best. It would be nice if NYC operated more like a parliamentary system under the Council, but the State Legislature is also rotten given that half the sitting members at any given time are under federal investigation.

Edited by bobtehpanda