R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

The (1) train is probably going to get 207th Street yard since the 240th Street yard is very old and not in the best condition. (A) and (C) trains are probably going to use it for work and overhauling. I wish the MTA wasn't so harsh on the 8th Ave line and could of gave them some R68's and CI takes some of the R46's.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything has been repeated,

R143 is not R38 . It like R38 had return to service. I know it does not make any sense. Who is start to think R143 is consider as R38 is only for A , C line . It like R38 have been reborn. C line is only part time line & does not run in Late Night. :blink: & B-)

dafuq?

I wish the MTA wasn't so harsh on the 8th Ave line and could of gave them some R68's and CI takes some of the R46's.

*sigh*

The (MTA) aren't harsh to anything. Also, the R46s are not allowed on open-cut lines such as the BMT Sea Beach and Brighton lines due to noise pollution and vibration they'll cause there. Back in late 2001 (after the 9/11 attacks) when the (R) was suspended, the (Q) was nearly 100% R46s when it was replacing the (R) above Canal Street as the local but then were quickly pulled off because Brighton residents complain about noise pollution and vibration. It then swap cars with the (E) (when it was using R32s) though it lead to more delays and crowding along 53rd Street due to low doors and long length of the 75 footers.

Why is there a need to give the (A) and (C) new cars? Nothing is being treated as trash EVEN if they're using 48-year old subway cars. And?.....Trains are trains, deal with it....Plus, the R179s aren't even built yet and the (MTA) never officially announced where these cars will be going (they only said they were slated for use on the (A)(C)(J)(L)(Z)(T) as plan right now)...Who cares where they will go once they enter service? If they run fine, it isn't a big deal...Deal with the current car assignments...the R46s will NOT be going anywhere else other than staying on the (A), (C), (F), (R), and (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle. The (A) and (C) will not get any NTTs nor R68/68As anytime soon. Just wait and see. That is the answer.

Even if they switched some R46s to Coney Island in exchange for some R68/68As to Pitkin or 207th, you are just making such unnecessary assignments which will bring the requirements and maintenance costs high up. No need to spread the fleet. That's only a railfan's dream who dislike certain cars on their lines or whatever. Such will never happen. The only yard I see housing three car types due to aforemention reasons (as understood) are the East New York subway railyard.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

If we're going to be talking what is what, let me put in my two cents here. Do not quote me on any of this.

The (A) and (C) have been cut shy for new cars since the R44's and R46's arrived. Whether this is on purpose or just by chance is unknown. However, I can see why some riders/railfans could be exasperated by this trend, and that's no reason to go off on them. This may be a wild scenario, but if history repeats itself again, when the R211's arrive:

The (F) will get the 211's, and the R160's will move to the (R). The remaining cars will most likely go to Concourse, CI or both, to have them run on the (B) and (D), and the R68's will go to the (A).

As I said, don't quote me on this. This is merely speculation.

And everything will continue to be speculation until the miracle day when the R179s (and later the R211s) are put into service and all this crap daydreaming of railfans are all put to an end...

So you're not a railfan? I find that strange and probably untrue...

And everything will continue to be speculation until the miracle day when the R179s (and later the R211s) are put into service and all this crap daydreaming of railfans are all put to an end...

That's not going to stop them; they'll probably go and speculate/foam over some other movements that will be happening.

And yes, I'm a railfan too.

It's one thing to speculate. Which is okay. When based on fleet age, yard assignments, car type regulations(like BMT East), speculation can add to the fun. But when basing it on bias-playing favorites of personal preference, "What ifs" and the popular "they break down too much", speculation becomes another headache. It's not based on facts, numbers, rotation patterns etc. It's based on "well, I like M7s so they should run them on SIR" or "that's the 'death line' so they're not gonna get new cars".

I'm a rail fan and I approve this post.

*sigh*

The (MTA) aren't harsh to anything. Also, the R46s are not allowed on open-cut lines such as the BMT Sea Beach and Brighton lines due to noise pollution and vibration they'll cause there. Back in late 2001 (after the 9/11 attacks) when the (R) was suspended, the (Q) was nearly 100% R46s when it was replacing the (R) above Canal Street as the local but then were quickly pulled off because Brighton residents complain about noise pollution and vibration. It then swap cars with the (E) (when it was using R32s) though it lead to more delays and crowding along 53rd Street due to low doors and long length of the 75 footers.

Why is there a need to give the (A) and (C) new cars? Nothing is being treated as trash EVEN if they're using 48-year old subway cars. And?.....Trains are trains, deal with it....Plus, the R179s aren't even built yet and the (MTA) never officially announced where these cars will be going (they only said they were slated for use on the (A)(C)(J)(L)(Z)(T) as plan right now)...Who cares where they will go once they enter service? If they run fine, it isn't a big deal...Deal with the current car assignments...the R46s will NOT be going anywhere else other than staying on the (A), (C), (F), (R), and (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle. The (A) and (C) will not get any NTTs nor R68/68As anytime soon. Just wait and see. That is the answer.

Even if they switched some R46s to Coney Island in exchange for some R68/68As to Pitkin or 207th, you are just making such unnecessary assignments which will bring the requirements and maintenance costs high up. No need to spread the fleet. That's only a railfan's dream who dislike certain cars on their lines or whatever. Such will never happen. The only yard I see housing three car types due to aforemention reasons (as understood) are the East New York subway railyard.

People always got a complaint. <_<

And the fact that Transit is running out of older cars to put on Fulton Street. I mean, after the 32s and 42s are retired, the 46s will be the oldest fleet in service. When those cars are eventually retired, the 68s/68As will be the oldest B-Division fleet and while this may change when the time comes, I can't see Concourse and Coney Island giving up their cars just so NTTs won't run on the A and C lines.

*sigh*

I thought the noise/Vibration issue on the Brighton was from the 70s when the 46s had different trucks than today?

Keep in mind 40 Slants and Mods ran on the Brighton line in the 90s, early 2000s and no one had noise/Vibration complaints and those are arguably are louder than the post GOH 46s.

Also 46s run on the Sea Beach every weekday, (R) put ins from CI Yard..

Well, one logical reason to have new cars on the Fulton line is.....

......most of the oldest cars run on that line.

And the fact that Transit is running out of older cars to put on Fulton Street. I mean, after the 32s and 42s are retired, the 46s will be the oldest fleet in service. When those cars are eventually retired, the 68s/68As will be the oldest B-Division fleet and while this may change when the time comes, I can't see Concourse and Coney Island giving up their cars just so NTTs won't run on the A and C lines.

Believe me, I'm not trying to say that NTTs shouldn't run on the (A) and (C) by simply giving them the oldest cars (one after another...). But what College Pt Man said was wrong...as I told him that it'd make no sense to give the (A) and (C) some new trains like R68/68As or R160s from Concourse, Coney Island, and/or Jamaica to 207th/Pitkin because that's spreading the fleet and requirements, making the maintenance costs higher.....

I just corrected what he said. Just checking and saying...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I was telling the truth. I was right but you got tight...You came up with something and I was going through it. Don't bring up anything if you're going to be upset about people's answers...That's all... <_<

No i wasn'y replying to your answer, I was talking about how ppl in NY have to complain about every small little problem. I seriously didn't know the R46's weighed more than the R68's.

Wait a minute, the 68s are the heaviest in the fleet.

92,720 lbs R68/68A

88,955 lbs R46 A-car (b-Cars about 3,000 lbs less)

Even if you factor in the 68s converted to four car units, which distribute car components through the 4-car consists, it still would make the heavier than 46s overall.

R46s aren't banned from any location outside of the Eastern division. (And, I suppose, the A division. )

If an R68 can run somewhere, so can an R46.

It's not that they can't run on the Brighton (like they're totally banned from the Eastern Div.). They can be rerouted there, but if they start running regularly, then there will be complaints, apparently.

It's not that they can't run on the Brighton (like they're totally banned from the Eastern Div.). They can be rerouted there, but if they start running regularly, then there will be complaints, apparently.

I don't see why there would be complaints. It is just a train at the end of the day. They were running regular service on the Brighton right after 9/11 and when the Broadway side of the Manhattan Br was closed.

I don't see why there would be complaints. It is just a train at the end of the day. They were running regular service on the Brighton right after 9/11 and when the Broadway side of the Manhattan Br was closed.

Exactly. In my opinion, R46's are even some of the better cars of the current MTA fleet. I'm sure 30 years in the future, there will be complaints about R160s. But the MTA can't operate rolling stock based on who will complain.

I remember a few years back, 68s were taken off the Q and replaced with slants only because it gave CI time to have new door strips installed on the 40 slants when the Q wasn't running (this was back when the D ran on Brighton). There were complaints by riders about that car switch which was continuously reported on the news. It doesn't happen often, but there are some instances of complaints. Now don't let that open up the flood gates saying every car switch is met by complaints. This one was one of those rare times where the majority of riders complained.