R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

You can't tax money you don't have. When politicians somehow think allowing municipal borrowing and screaming for uncle sam to rescue them then something as gone horribly wrong. The Trump era will pass, thankfully. What's on the other side of that is places that are able to balance providing public services and protecting the most vulnerable with being able to maintain economic dynamism are the ones who will come out ahead. 

The paradox is many of the things people care about: Climate change, criminal justice reform, education equity, universal healthcare are best undertaken with an eye to supply side solutions matched with public investment. 

Right now, there are not very many realistic solutions being put forward. Even with all the "free money" from the tax proposals being put forward are just a drop in bucket in the cliff we're staring over, nevermind actually implementing any real solutions going forward. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I JUST seen an R179 track testing on the (J) right now, passed us between Woodhaven and 104th street going Manhattan bound, there's papers on the windows, probably the "test train not in service" signs. 3111 was the number of one of the cars IIRC

Since when because I'm recording the new announcements 2 and 5 train for Franklin Avenue and president street for medgar Evers college to host it YouTube maybe I'll record R179 testing later on so when did it happen on R179 test?

32 minutes ago, Q39 to Ridgewood said:

Anyone have a date when exactly the R179s will be back in service?

There is none. As the MTA said themselves, the R179's are out of service until further notice. Since the MTA hasn't said when they are returning, we don't have a date. Just be patient, it's better to be since they still need all the time to make sure the train is operating with little to no problems.

On 8/31/2020 at 2:58 PM, Rigojefte Galo said:

Since when because I'm recording the new announcements 2 and 5 train for Franklin Avenue and president street for medgar Evers college to host it YouTube maybe I'll record R179 testing later on so when did it happen on R179 test?

It passed me a few minutes before I made my post.

Edited by trainfan22

I work for transit and WE don’t even know or have an estimate. East New York’s R179 testing is the First 8 car set doing some testing while a 10 car set was testing along the culver line doing brake efficiency testing. This is the furthest any of us knows. 

11 minutes ago, VIP said:

I work for transit and WE don’t even know or have an estimate. East New York’s R179 testing is the First 8 car set doing some testing while a 10 car set was testing along the culver line doing brake efficiency testing. This is the furthest any of us knows. 

This is why people should stop asking when the R179's can return. It's better to let them continue testing, if they fail, at least it won't be the (MTA)'s fault because they never said when they could return. I've said this before, but the R179's had issues, the (MTA) decided to take them out of service because of door issues, brought them back 1 week after not even concerned with other issues with them, took the R42's back out of service for retirement not long after, and another issue with the R179's not even half a year, they barely lasted 5 months. It is better to let whoever is inspecting and fixing them without rushing them, that way the train won't or at least have very little problems.

10 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

This is why people should stop asking when the R179's can return. It's better to let them continue testing, if they fail, at least it won't be the (MTA)'s fault because they never said when they could return. I've said this before, but the R179's had issues, the (MTA) decided to take them out of service because of door issues, brought them back 1 week after not even concerned with other issues with them, took the R42's back out of service for retirement not long after, and another issue with the R179's not even half a year, they barely lasted 5 months. It is better to let whoever is inspecting and fixing them without rushing them, that way the train won't or at least have very little problems.

Is it worth noting that the more severe incident (June 3rd) took place months into a pandemic, in which commuting populations had severely decreased? What I'm saying is, under normal circumstances, could it be possible that the 179s would've broken down even sooner since they would have been subject to more wear & tear? 

11 minutes ago, 1train2255railfan said:

Is it worth noting that the more severe incident (June 3rd) took place months into a pandemic, in which commuting populations had severely decreased? What I'm saying is, under normal circumstances, could it be possible that the 179s would've broken down even sooner since they would have been subject to more wear & tear? 

Well if that was the case, then yes. Depending on how frequent each R179 set were operating and depending whether it was either the 8 car or 10 car set during its time in the pandemic, it wouldn't have been much since many operators and conductors either decided to leave or stay at work. But if it was more frequent, I'd say so since it is running more often. I can't really say for certain since I don't know how many were in service each day when the R179's were out before and during the pandemic at a time. I wouldn't be the expert, just sharing my opinion and common sense (I say common sense, but think of the train as a phone or a car, how many times you use your phone during the day and the same with a car), unless you have a different opinion or fact about this question.

21 hours ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

I don't know probably 3 weeks.

This is how rumors start.  Are you one of Pat Foye's flies on the wall?  Don't say 3 weeks + with the caveat you don't know. 

Just say you don't know and leave it at that  3 weeks is your opinion.  On the internet once an opinion is circulated enough, others take it as fact.

3 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

This is how rumors start.  Are you one of Pat Foye's flies on the wall?  Don't say 3 weeks + with the caveat you don't know. 

Just say you don't know and leave it at that  3 weeks is your opinion.  On the internet once an opinion is circulated enough, others take it as fact.

Thanks for your information I'm not a phony I'm a genius guy I'm a smart guy. 

Edited by Rigojefte Galo
Information about for MTA's

R179 testing along the (C) line (Not my video) its train crew was trolling like a mofo signing it up as the (C) via Culver, (B) to Brighton Beach and the (V) ... why does the R179s even have a (V) program, the line was discontinued years before the 179s entered service! I assume they copy/paste the the 143/160 announcements into the 179s... 

Also it seems like they deep cleaned the set in the video.

29 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

R179 testing along the (C) line (Not my video) its train crew was trolling like a mofo signing it up as the (C) via Culver, (B) to Brighton Beach and the (V) ... why does the R179s even have a (V) program, the line was discontinued years before the 179s entered service! I assume they copy/paste the the 143/160 announcements into the 179s... 

Also it seems like they deep cleaned the set in the video.

I don't remember the (V) having a normal program going via Fulton local, might've been there the whole time, but if you're saying this was a copy/paste, why is there a delay in between announcements as well as it being defaulted to 1 voice when saying "The next stop is..." I just think it's a coincidence that the (V) is there, either that or the (MTA) was secretly planning on announcing the return of the (V). I know, I'm jumping to conclusions, don't take it seriously it is just my opinion.

Actially, the (C) briefly ran to Euclid Avenue, Brooklyn in January, 2005 when a fire at the Chambers St. relay room knocked out the switches in the area, making it impossible for the (C) to run to Brooklyn.  There were some 160's that ran on the line. They include a lot of hypothetical routings, just in case, including still havignt he line on there even if it's not running now.

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

I don't remember the (V) having a normal program going via Fulton local, might've been there the whole time, but if you're saying this was a copy/paste, why is there a delay in between announcements as well as it being defaulted to 1 voice when saying "The next stop is..." I just think it's a coincidence that the (V) is there, either that or the (MTA) was secretly planning on announcing the return of the (V). I know, I'm jumping to conclusions, don't take it seriously it is just my opinion.

Yeah, but it doesn't say "VIA FULTON ST LOCAL", it says "FULTON ST LOCAL".

3 hours ago, Vulturious said:

They probably made the program because of the chance that it would have to happen again. Probably the same reason why the (M) has one too

On 9/3/2020 at 10:18 PM, Vulturious said:

It's a copy paste from the R160s and all R179 programs do the delay. There are a lot of (V) train programs to destinations all over the place.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 2:52 PM, Rigojefte Galo said:

Thanks for your information I'm not a phony I'm a genius guy I'm a smart guy. 

Neither am I as I survived almost 34 years of employment as a NYCT Conductor and Train Operator with ZERO operating violations.

So I'm a smart guy too, I don't call myself a genius. 

When one calls themselves a genius,  I would say that is bragging without offering proof.

My point of what you responded to in the above still stands.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth