R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

7 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Neither am I as I survived almost 34 years of employment as a NYCT Conductor and Train Operator with ZERO operating violations.

So I'm a smart guy too, I don't call myself a genius. 

When one calls themselves a genius,  I would say that is bragging without offering proof.

My point of what you responded to in the above still stands.

Where I come from "smart guys" and "genius" types never had to brag about their knowledge. In fact it was those who didn't fit the description who had to announce it. Let's face it Bill, times have really changed. Look no further than 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in DC 😃. Just sayin'. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Well get your R160 (A) train rides in while you can. 
On the flip side maybe (C) service will improve a little bit because it’s been terrible from my experience. 

Yes, anywhere from 12-20 min headways on the (C) ...

Edited by SubBus

1 hour ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

Hell no what wrong with you? keep them r46s where they are. bad enough once the r179s come back the A will have less 60ft fleet because the r160s will return to jamaica and C.I 

I don’t understand why you are getting so mad at him. It is just a train and the MTA will put them wherever they need them to be at.

Pitkin was literally all R46’s before the R179s came. The R46’s still make up a majority of the (A) fleet. If it wasn’t for the pandemic and the MTA being cautious about putting the R32’s back in service (on an underground line) because of the half cab issue, the (C) would mostly if not be all R32’s right now and the (A) would be 100% R46. 

And so what if the (A) will have less 60ft trains, the 75ft R44’s and R46’s have dominated its fleet for the longest. The (A) is using the basically same amount of NTT’s now as if was before when it still had its R179’s. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

3 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t understand why you are getting so mad at him. It is just a train and the MTA will put them wherever they need them to be at.

Pitkin was literally all R46’s before the R179s came. The R46’s still make up a majority of the (A) fleet. If it wasn’t for the pandemic and the MTA being cautious about putting the R32’s back in service (on an underground line) because of the half cab issue, the (C) would mostly if not be all R32’s right now and the (A) would be 100% R46. 

And so what if the (A) will have less 60ft trains, the 75ft R44’s and R46’s have dominated its fleet for the longest. The (A) is using the basically same amount of NTT’s now as if was before when it still had its R179’s. 

before the pandemic, the ridership was getting high on the (A) and the R46's cause dwell time. Plus the R46's are becoming tired due to them running to death. when they took the 12 sets of spares and threw 8 of them on the (C) , their reliability started to drop.

And i can understand why he's mad. I'm tired of this oh the (A) needs to loose it's tech trains because CI should have a new fleet. We aren't that dumb, We get it Black neighborhoods along the Fulton st line deserve to get their new trains taken away and lets give them to the white folks in south brooklyn.

It's very obvious, The (A) out of all lines needs a new fleet. I'm tired of the oh the (A) don't need em yet, They better give the (A) a chunk of that Base order R211.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I'm not mad, I'm just saying pitkin and 207 always have to suffer whenever something happens train related let's be honest they've had the oldest fleet in the B division always and losing what little bit of NTT they do have to C.I for more r46s is a horrible idea. I guess you agree with Lawrence st

Edited by 1998NewFlyer

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

before the pandemic, the ridership was getting high on the (A) and the R46's cause dwell time. Plus the R46's are becoming tired due to them running to death. when they took the 12 sets of spares and threw 8 of them on the (C) , their reliability started to drop.

And i can understand why he's mad. I'm tired of this oh the (A) needs to loose it's tech trains because CI should have a new fleet. We aren't that dumb, We get it Black neighborhoods along the Fulton st line deserve to get their new trains taken away and lets give them to the white folks in south brooklyn.

It's very obvious, The (A) out of all lines needs a new fleet. I'm tired of the oh the (A) don't need em yet, They better give the (A) a chunk of that Base order R211.

Please let's not turn this into a race thing 

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Well the (A) is a primary subway line for the R211s there's no doubt about that, considering they are intended to replace the R46s.

Welp, this is happening. I've heard they are going through revenue testing. Kind of sad how they didn't go into the software of the announcements and change the voice of whoever does the A and C announcements for when the train says, "The next stop is:", but at least from what I can tell they have fixed the delay in them. I'm hoping that is the case for all of the others. Rip to the R160's on the A as they will be going back to Jamaica, the R160's basically fits on every line, can't really say the same for the R179's. I'm hoping Jamaica can keep their trains clean because I never do.

Edited by Vulturious

8 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Oh yeah no doubt the (A) and (C) lines for years has been done dirty by the MTA. The (A) should have gotten the R160s instead of the (N) and (W). The fact that they didn’t make the (C) trains R179s 10 car sets just shows how they keep neglecting the Fulton/8th Ave. From an operations stand point it would make a lot of sense to have both lines share the same fleet.

Now whether it’s a race thing I don’t know. Being a person of color myself I do understand how some neighborhoods get treated in terms of funding and resources but in this case I don’t think this is a race thing. The only reason I say that is because the (B) and (D) go through some non black neighborhoods in Brooklyn but they are still R68/ R68A’s. The (J) got a brand new fleet back in 2008 and a good chunk of the route runs through minority neighborhoods. They could have sent the R32’s there and gave the (C) the R160s. Plus the fact that they sent the second oldest fleet in the system to Coney Island probably suggest that it’s not a race thing, cause I thought for sure Upper Eastside, Astoria, Midwood, Sunset Park and etc would have complained but they don’t seem to care. If the MTA really wanted to they could have kept the R46s at Jamaica until the R211’s and delayed CBTC on Queens Blvd. If everything goes as planned the R211s should be here sooner than later. If it wasn’t for the MTA constantly being in a financial hole the R46’s probably would have been gone already. Wasn’t the original projected retirement date for the R46 in 2011? 

7 hours ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

I'm not mad, I'm just saying pitkin and 207 always have to suffer whenever something happens train related let's be honest they've had the oldest fleet in the B division always and losing what little bit of NTT they do have to C.I for more r46s is a horrible idea. I guess you agree with Lawrence st

I thought you were basing it off of your own personal preference instead of what would make sense based on the way you come off in your response. I agree the (A) should have gotten the R160s when they were coming in instead of giving them all to C.I especially with how packed the (A) gets in comparison to the (N) and (Q) . Of course in a few years entire (A) and (C) lines will be made up of brand new R211’s so that’s a good thing. 
The only reason why I say more R46’s to Pitkin isn’t necessarily dumb is because Pitkin is still primarily R46’s anyway and it will be that way until the R211’s come in. Plus you wouldn’t have to have different train parts at Pitkin whereas CI it doesn’t matter since they are the overhaul shop anyways. Trust me I want the (A) and (C) to be fully NTT’s as well, but as I stated earlier I believe the MTA’s constant bad financial situation has contributed to why we still have 45 and 55 year old trains in service. The R32’s themselves should have been gone at least 15-20 years ago especially after the beating those trains faced during the 70s and 80s. 

I guess what the MTA could do is possibly swap the R68A’s on the (B) with the R46’s from the (A) so that at least some of the R46’s are not running all day, all night and on the weekend.  

Edited by NewFlyer 230

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Oh yeah no doubt the (A) and (C) lines for years has been done dirty by the MTA. The (A) should have gotten the R160s instead of the (N) and (W). The fact that they didn’t make the (C) trains R179s 10 car sets just shows how they keep neglecting the Fulton/8th Ave. From an operations stand point it would make a lot of sense to have both lines share the same fleet.

Now whether it’s a race thing I don’t know. Being a person of color myself I do understand how some neighborhoods get treated in terms of funding and resources but in this case I don’t think this is a race thing. The only reason I say that is because the (B) and (D) go through some non black neighborhoods in Brooklyn but they are still R68/ R68A’s. The (J) got a brand new fleet back in 2008 and a good chunk of the route runs through minority neighborhoods. They could have sent the R32’s there and gave the (C) the R160s. Plus the fact that they sent the second oldest fleet in the system to Coney Island probably suggest that it’s not a race thing, cause I thought for sure Upper Eastside, Astoria, Midwood, Sunset Park and etc would have complained but they don’t seem to care. If the MTA really wanted to they could have kept the R46s at Jamaica until the R211’s and delayed CBTC on Queens Blvd. If everything goes as planned the R211s should be here sooner than later. If it wasn’t for the MTA constantly being in a financial hole the R46’s probably would have been gone already. Wasn’t the original projected retirement date for the R46 in 2011? 

I thought you were basing it off of your own personal preference instead of what would make sense based on the way you come off in your response. I agree the (A) should have gotten the R160s when they were coming in instead of giving them all to C.I especially with how packed the (A) gets in comparison to the (N) and (Q) . Of course in a few years entire (A) and (C) lines will be made up of brand new R211’s so that’s a good thing. 
The only reason why I say more R46’s to Pitkin isn’t necessarily dumb is because Pitkin is still primarily R46’s anyway and it will be that way until the R211’s come in. Plus you wouldn’t have to have different train parts at Pitkin whereas CI it doesn’t matter since they are the overhaul shop anyways. Trust me I want the (A) and (C) to be fully NTT’s as well, but as I stated earlier I believe the MTA’s constant bad financial situation has contributed to why we still have 45 and 55 year old trains in service. The R32’s themselves should have been gone at least 15-20 years ago especially after the beating those trains faced during the 70s and 80s. 

I guess what the MTA could do is possibly swap the R68A’s on the (B) with the R46’s from the (A) so that at least some of the R46’s are not running all day, all night and on the weekend.  

I usually don't bring up race and I tend not too but sometimes it needs to be called out. I just get tired of the oh give Coney Island new trains argument. The only CI line that should get new fleet is the (Q) since it has the heaviest ridership. I can understand why the (N) and (W) got R160's . The (A) got shafted because of some bullshit power issue that was fixed by the time the option order R160's were coming in. But I reality It kinda made sense that CI got the R160's first because they had those crappy ass CI rebuild R42's and they pushed the phase 2 R32's to Jamaica in Feb of 2007 to kill off the GE R32's and send some Phase I's to Pitkin.

IMO The Base Order R211's (I doubt options will be taken due to the lack of funding) 440 cars could be split between Jamaica, Pitkin (150 cars each) and CI 140 to balance out the fleet age, Jamaica gets them to bump out the Siemens R160's Back to CI, Pitkin Gets 150 to make the (A) almost 50/50 48% NTT's and 52% R46's and CI gets them to make the (Q) 100% NTT's with 140 R211's for the (Q) only with the rest being R160's. I think that would be a perfect Balance with 30 to 44 trainsets of R46's going bye bye.

Edited by R32 3838

The reason why I suggested that fleet swap is because the R211's are not far behind. Clearly based on the articles we've just seen, the R46's aren't preforming well on the Broadway lines since they frequently have issues. Thats why I suggested at least for now to have the R179's go to CIY at least for the remainder of the year.

24 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

The reason why I suggested that fleet swap is because the R211's are not far behind. Clearly based on the articles we've just seen, the R46's aren't preforming well on the Broadway lines since they frequently have issues. Thats why I suggested at least for now to have the R179's go to CIY at least for the remainder of the year.

No. They have more than enough R68/R68A’s to fill in for out of service R46’s. The R179’s aren’t even a reliable fleet yet to be transferring around to different locations and services. 

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Shoot at this point if the R46’s prove to be problematic they should just swap the (B)‘s R68A’s with R46’s. The line ends early and doesn’t run on the weekends which means those trains would be sitting in the yard on the weekends. 
It’s just bad that the MTA can’t get rid of its oldest cars fast enough.