R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

I don’t think they put any of the 10-car sets back in service yet 

Hearing it's the 5-car sets that have more major issues as those were the later cars in the order and rushed through production as quick as possible. The R160s should stick on the (A) for a little bit.

21 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

Hearing it's the 5-car sets that have more major issues as those were the later cars in the order and rushed through production as quick as possible. The R160s should stick on the (A) for a little bit.

Well that would be the case if it weren't for CBTC testing on QBL. Unless Coney has just enough R160's lying around that can make a clean swap, but even then, that would just basically be dumping more stuff onto Coney Island which already has problems with the R46's. Not saying they weren't a problem before. I did hear that 10 car R179 from stored at Coney was being transferred up to 207. 

5 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Well that would be the case if it weren't for CBTC testing on QBL. Unless Coney has just enough R160's lying around that can make a clean swap, but even then, that would just basically be dumping more stuff onto Coney Island which already has problems with the R46's. Not saying they weren't a problem before. I did hear that 10 car R179 from stored at Coney was being transferred up to 207. 

Coney Island is actually short on cars (as is every yard in the B-division due to the decision to retire the R32s with the R179s as their replacement). Swapping trains out from that yard would mean you would have to temporarily eliminate the (W), cut (B) service to 145 St + reduce the service frequency. Remember that when the R160s were on loan from Jamaica, the (F) ran every 10 minutes all day (including rush hours, a sharp reduction from the 4-minute headways normally scheduled). If anything, the Rockaway Park trips could be temporarily suspended to make the car requirements slightly lower

23 minutes ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

I'm sorry the r179s are trash and need to be taken back out of passenger service 

R179 car 3110-3113 is having trouble braking it over shot flushing av just 5mins ago

I kinda can't really believe that unless there was a photo showing it overshot, if there is, then by how much?

1 minute ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

I was in the train 1st car the driver had to come out the cabin and stand in front of the 1st doors and radio the conductor to open it

Did you stop to think that maybe the “ driver” screwed up and not the train. I don’t know where you got on the train but was it overshooting all of the stops? Just curious. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Did you stop to think that maybe the “ driver” screwed up and not the train. I don’t know where you got on the train but was it overshooting all of the stops? Just curious. Carry on.

I saw the same train around the same time at Essex St, it was doing fine and the break was quite and smooth compared to other cars.

3 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

No the brakes were jerky from bway myrtle too Essex where I got off and I can tell you it was not the train operator 

24 minutes ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

Did they pulled some or the entire R179 out of service?

The R179s are still in service, seen one in service just now and on both Saturday and Sunday. So the entire fleet was not sidelined, no idea if individual sets came back to the barn early.

Also just seen 3082 running on the (Z) right now! lol

6 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The R179s are still in service, seen one in service just now and on both Saturday and Sunday. So the entire fleet was not sidelined, no idea if individual sets came back to the barn early.

Also just seen 3082 running on the (Z) right now! lol

Because I heard one incident with the brake issues probably one train on Sunday yesterday on R179.