R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 hours ago, VIP said:

I don’t Know where any of you are getting your information from, these sets NEVER had breaking issues and in FACT These said sets are in active service. 

Various Transit workers who have shared their info. Trust me if it was bullshit, Everyone would have spotted it by now.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, VIP said:

I don’t Know where any of you are getting your information from, these sets NEVER had breaking issues and in FACT These said sets are in active service. 

Yes they are in active service but i kno cars 3110 - 3113 are having breaking issues 

Its coupled with 3126 - 29 and they are still in active service 

10 hours ago, happy283 said:

Are the R179s back on the 8 Av Line yet? How much longer to catch the R160s on the (A)?

Not yet. I think it would be a good idea that the A keeps the r160's until construction on the F is complete and/or ridership on the F increases significantly. That would give some Pitkin r46's a break as long as the 10 car r179's are running smoothly once it returns to service on the A.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Not yet. I think it would be a good idea that the A keeps the r160's until construction on the F is complete and/or ridership on the F increases significantly. That would give some Pitkin r46's a break as long as the 10 car r179's are running smoothly once it returns to service on the A.

That is if it can run smoothly since all this talk about the 8 car R179's are having brake issues. I've been seeing a lot of videos of the R179's slowly creeping into a station instead of enter in at their usual speed. 

21 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

That is if it can run smoothly since all this talk about the 8 car R179's are having brake issues. I've been seeing a lot of videos of the R179's slowly creeping into a station instead of enter in at their usual speed. 

Some R179 are back in service I'm sure The J and Z line are back the entire New Technology Trains I believe.

So, the score one week into "Operation Resurrection" is this way:

As of September 28, 2020 4-car R-179s 3050-53, 3058-61, 3066-69, 3082-85, 3086-89, 3098-3101, 3102-05, 3106-09, 3114-17, 3118-21, 3138-41 and 3142-45 (48 cars) are in the Revenue testing pool.

So far cars 3070-73, 3110-13 and 3126-29 have "washed out" for one reason or other and will go to the back of the line until their troubles are addressed.

What I best understand is the Revenue testing pool is to be limited to 8, 8 car (64) trains at a time.  Coming attractions (soon) will be 3122-25, 3130-33 and 3134-37.

All other cars between 3050 and 3145 are in various states of prep for restoration and will be tested on the (J) and (Z) until re-acceptance is achieved.

Assuming its a 30-Day Testing horizon the first of those would be around or about October 23.

Cars 3146-3237 (formerly (C)) are still in stir (storage), as are 3010-49 and 3238-3327 (formerly (A)).

All I might add is that the preliminary plan is to re-test the former (C) cars on (J) and (Z) as well.  That DOESN'T mean they would STAY there.

Other non-revenue testing is performed elsewhere as well, which could be just about ANYWHERE.

Until the future deployment plan is finalized, which it is definitely NOT (!) there is nothing yet certain for a timeline to come.  Depends on the results (note the first week as above).

Interesting but as of the same date, not only was the standing fleet of R-32s was now UP to 136 for some reason.  If you notice, 3924/25 were back in revenue service after waiting for months.

The point is as of Monday NO (Zero) R-32s had as yet (again) been withdrawn from service.  All are accounted for otherwise.

3 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

So, the score one week into "Operation Resurrection" is this way:

As of September 28, 2020 4-car R-179s 3050-53, 3058-61, 3066-69, 3082-85, 3086-89, 3098-3101, 3102-05, 3106-09, 3114-17, 3118-21, 3138-41 and 3142-45 (48 cars) are in the Revenue testing pool.

So far cars 3070-73, 3110-13 and 3126-29 have "washed out" for one reason or other and will go to the back of the line until their troubles are addressed.

What I best understand is the Revenue testing pool is to be limited to 8, 8 car (64) trains at a time.  Coming attractions (soon) will be 3122-25, 3130-33 and 3134-37.

All other cars between 3050 and 3145 are in various states of prep for restoration and will be tested on the (J) and (Z) until re-acceptance is achieved.

Assuming its a 30-Day Testing horizon the first of those would be around or about October 23.

Cars 3146-3237 (formerly (C)) are still in stir (storage), as are 3010-49 and 3238-3327 (formerly (A)).

All I might add is that the preliminary plan is to re-test the former (C) cars on (J) and (Z) as well.  That DOESN'T mean they would STAY there.

Other non-revenue testing is performed elsewhere as well, which could be just about ANYWHERE.

Until the future deployment plan is finalized, which it is definitely NOT (!) there is nothing yet certain for a timeline to come.  Depends on the results (note the first week as above).

Interesting but as of the same date, not only was the standing fleet of R-32s was now UP to 136 for some reason.  If you notice, 3924/25 were back in revenue service after waiting for months.

The point is as of Monday NO (Zero) R-32s had as yet (again) been withdrawn from service.  All are accounted for otherwise.

so far only 1-2 R32's are running in (J)(Z) service while the rest are on stand by, I wouldn't be surprised if they stay in revenue service until they are very sure that the R179's are truly reliable.

30 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

so far only 1-2 R32's are running in (J)(Z) service while the rest are on stand by, I wouldn't be surprised if they stay in revenue service until they are very sure that the R179's are truly reliable.

I don't want to be that guy, but even if they truly felt the R179 is a reliable train now, it's probably better to wait for the R211 anyways. Probably by the time they get the R179's tested, the R211 will probably have arrived. Then again, it has been a few months since we even heard any news or rumors of the R211 in delivery and we still don't know when they expect to have 1 set to arrive which is unfortunate, but it is what it is I guess.

It will probably take a year for the R211 to test then it has to pass an 30 day revenue test on top of that. The MTA probably doesn't want to keep the R32s in service that long, I read in a article that the MTA spent like 35 million dollars just to keep the R32s roadworthy. 

It's funny as R143s only took a couple of months to enter service but starting with the R160s it takes about a year of testing before an NTT car class enters service. 

5 hours ago, MHV9218 said:
8 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

3924/25 were back in revenue service after waiting for months.

Did somebody say 'rollsign cranks'?

Thank you!  No surprise here, but reports also had it laid up for legal reasons.

Evidently that was also rectified satisfactorily. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

It will probably take a year for the R211 to test then it has to pass an 30 day revenue test on top of that. The MTA probably doesn't want to keep the R32s in service that long, I read in a article that the MTA spent like 35 million dollars just to keep the R32s roadworthy. 

It's funny as R143s only took a couple of months to enter service but starting with the R160s it takes about a year of testing before an NTT car class enters service. 

I mean it would make sense because the R143 were assigned to the (L) which was pretty isolated from the rest of the system and the R160 is running on practically every line on the B division. I don't think the same could be said with the R160A-1 assigned to Eastern Division because they were also brought to the (C) and the (brownM) also was 100% R160's at the time, too. 

6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I think Half or More of that money was spent was because of the swapping The R32's between ENY and 207th for Inspection.

5 hours ago, Vulturious said:

I mean it would make sense because the R143 were assigned to the (L) which was pretty isolated from the rest of the system and the R160 is running on practically every line on the B division. I don't think the same could be said with the R160A-1 assigned to Eastern Division because they were also brought to the (C) and the (brownM) also was 100% R160's at the time, too. 

It doesn't matter what line they run on, every single new fleet has to do clearance testing (on their respective divisons) to every single station. We've seen it with the R179's on Franklin Avenue.

And as technology gets more advanced, more testing has to be required to ensure the safety of a subway car. These R211's alone are brand new technology themselves, so i wouldn't be surprised if it takes two years for them to finish testing it.