R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

Hey you need to mind your f**king business I don't f**king care they make that decision I'm a genius guy b**ch snitched bye.

b*tch snitched, bye?

Up from inside what back alley dumpster do they find you people from..... The sad part is that here in 2020, you would go mainstream with these bars....

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Oh look. Proper grammar and a rule violation.

It's nice when trolls tell on themselves.

He's muted until December, unless someone in a higher paygrade says otherwise.

Great.... He may be muted until December, but he should be gone 'til November - the next 5 of them, for all I care.... Wyclef style!

19 hours ago, EphraimB said:

Is Wikipedia right that the R179s completely replaced the R32s and that the R32s are no more?

Nope, They Replaced the Remaining R44's that were retired 10 years ago, all the remaining R42's and some to half the R32 fleet. 

(MTA) sometimes retire Cars before their true replacements come in, The biggest example is the GE GOH R30's. They were retired in 1993 with no replacement, The R143's were their true replacements Plus Extra cars to full the void to Push Out most of the CI R42's and R40's from ENY to CI Yard from mid 2002-Febuary 2004 (Last R40M pair I spotted on the (J) was in Feb of 2004).

The R211's are the True Replacements for the Remaining R32's and all of the R46's.

8 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

1. What I suspected from day numero uno. 🙃

2. There's a wonderful bus that runs in Brooklyn called the B7; a ride on its limited-stop version might suit him well. 😁

@R32 3838 am I wrong?

Well He's been Muted, Thankfully. I haven't posted here in awhile but man that was some nice Entertainment to see lmao

BTW sorry for the double post instead of Multi quote

13 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Feel free to look at the user's contributions, which are usually reverted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Rgalo10

If you look further down, they would regularly say "brilliant excellent" in their edit summaries, which are supposed to summarize the content of their edits.

You mean to tell me this guy (or person) has been contributing "alternate facts" on wikipedia for nearly a YEAR?!? The arrogance.

This is one of the (many) reasons that Wikipedia gets a bad rap. 

I feel like they added all the R179s on 8th avenue again because this weekend has been rolling them all out on the (A) and (C), also caught a few random R160s both Alstom and Siemens ones. Would they have sent the ones that belonged to the (F) back or at least to either pitkin or CI yards?

On 11/15/2020 at 9:04 PM, Emil said:

I feel like they added all the R179s on 8th avenue again because this weekend has been rolling them all out on the (A) and (C), also caught a few random R160s both Alstom and Siemens ones. Would they have sent the ones that belonged to the (F) back or at least to either pitkin or CI yards?

Probably and also to give the R46s a break and to have looked at. I was on the Manhattan Br. Coney Island R46s sounds bad especially their  breaks 

Edited by R179 8258

22 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

Probably and also to give the R46s a break and to have looked at. I was on the Manhattan Br. Coney Island R46s sounds bad especially their  breaks 

I think that the A should keep the r160's a little longer. I agree with you 100% that the r46's need a break. Also, there is still work being done on the F. I just wish for more information on the r211's. Obviously, the test train won't be delivered this year due to the pandemic.

10 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I think that the A should keep the r160's a little longer. I agree with you 100% that the r46's need a break. Also, there is still work being done on the F. I just wish for more information on the r211's. Obviously, the test train won't be delivered this year due to the pandemic.

I mean a bus was delivered this year. Although, the problem with the (A)'s running R160s longer would be that QBL won't have much R160s to run if they run short. Especially with CBTC almost being finished if I'm not mistaken, I could be wrong, correct me if I am.

43 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

I mean a bus was delivered this year. Although, the problem with the (A)'s running R160s longer would be that QBL won't have much R160s to run if they run short. Especially with CBTC almost being finished if I'm not mistaken, I could be wrong, correct me if I am.

Buses are not the same as train cars.

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I am practically dying for the R211s to come. The (MTA) looked like it was on track to do well--then, COVID 😕

On 11/18/2020 at 12:51 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

You'll live.

Maybe I'm just an old crank but after reading the subway and bus threads there seems to be an obvious disconnect between transit fans and the real world. If they're proposing up to 40% cuts what is the rush to bring new subway and buses into the system ? On the surface it appears that the new equipment will just be stored in the yards and depots until ridership picks up and the financial picture gets better,  right? Even with a vaccine it's probably 2 or 3 years in the future. From an admittedly simple view a lot of the equipment that we already have will be used sparingly,  if at all, so perhaps the excitement should be tempered. Perhaps I'm looking at the situation in a different way? Just my opinion.  Carry on. 

Edited by Trainmaster5
Spelling

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Maybe I'm just an old crank but after reading the subway and bus threads there seems to be an obvious disconnect between transit fans and the real world. If they're proposing up to 40% cuts what is the rush to bring new subway and buses into the system ? On the surface it appears that the new equipment will just be stored in the yards and depots until ridership picks up and the financial picture gets better,  right? Even with a vaccine it's probably 2 or 3 years in the future. From an admittedly simple view a lot of the equipment that we already have will be used sparingly,  if at all, so perhaps the excitement should be tempered. Perhaps I'm looking at the situation in a different way? Just my opinion.  Carry on. 

Looking at it like a grown-up that understands having to make ends meet and be pragmatic when you make plans and God is like:

https://tenor.com/Rfeg.gif

Edited by Deucey
Stupid Tenor

4 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

The airlines are in a similar boat, and if anything they're taking new deliveries as fast as possible because their older planes are more expensive to run.

There may not be new orders (so goodbye R262, we hardly knew ye) but the R179s and 211s already ordered are more or less already paid for.

7 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

The airlines are in a similar boat, and if anything they're taking new deliveries as fast as possible because their older planes are more expensive to run.

There may not be new orders (so goodbye R262, we hardly knew ye) but the R179s and 211s already ordered are more or less already paid for.

Only the base order of the R211s were paid for. The option orders were not.

18 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

R46's are starting to show signs of Frame rot and we Have 56 year old R32 subway cars. Even with the Cuts the (MTA) still need new cars.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

R46's are starting to show signs of Frame rot and we Have 56 year old R32 subway cars. Even with the Cuts the (MTA) still need new cars.

Believe me I'm well aware of the age of the subway equipment we have on hand. This dinosaur was a teenager when the R32 was introduced. I have a question I'd like to ask. Suppose we scrap every R32 and R46 car tomorrow ? Kick them to the curb. Put the R179 fleet in good working order, okay ? Throw in the base order of R211 cars if you want. Sounds good to railfans. Once again I say go back to the business and economic pages of the local and national press. The (MTA) may be an inept organization, that I grant you, but they're not totally blind. The economic forecast for the NY metro area boils down to this. The pre-Pandemic job situation is gone, kaput, dead. Major corporations in Metro NY, Philly, SF are embracing the WFH model more and more. It's more economical for them than crowding people into cubbyholes in crowded office buildings. It's also safer which helps their bottom lines. The ridership for the subways, MNRR, NJT,LIRR, PATH,SEPTA, DC Metro, BART, is gone for now and none of those agencies expect a return to Pre-Pandemic levels, NONE. Whether the (MTA) gets this "bailout" money is immaterial to the point I'm trying to get across. No one is forecasting a return of the ridership levels we've seen. This is countrywide. We're looking at 20-30% ridership levels today and no one expects that to rise above 60% by 2024. As the major businesses retrench nationwide they, not John Q. Public, will determine how much service the (MTA) and it's sister agencies provide. The cuts in service are going to happen. I happen to see the local bus system as the major victim but the subways are not immune. People seem to forget that the IRT, BMT, were private entities that allowed the riders to access the business sector. The (MTA) was created to allow Long Islanders to reach the business sector via the bankrupt LIRR. This post is not a criticism of your post at all but rather an explanation of my post and my reasoning. When any transit agency points out how much money they lose per rider it's time to wake up, IMO. BTW I'm reading the NYT, Washington Post, as well as the NY Daily News and Newsday daily, from cover to cover. That's how I get my perspective, for better or worse. Carry on.

10 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Believe me I'm well aware of the age of the subway equipment we have on hand. This dinosaur was a teenager when the R32 was introduced. I have a question I'd like to ask. Suppose we scrap every R32 and R46 car tomorrow ? Kick them to the curb. Put the R179 fleet in good working order, okay ? Throw in the base order of R211 cars if you want. Sounds good to railfans. Once again I say go back to the business and economic pages of the local and national press. The (MTA) may be an inept organization, that I grant you, but they're not totally blind. The economic forecast for the NY metro area boils down to this. The pre-Pandemic job situation is gone, kaput, dead. Major corporations in Metro NY, Philly, SF are embracing the WFH model more and more. It's more economical for them than crowding people into cubbyholes in crowded office buildings. It's also safer which helps their bottom lines. The ridership for the subways, MNRR, NJT,LIRR, PATH,SEPTA, DC Metro, BART, is gone for now and none of those agencies expect a return to Pre-Pandemic levels, NONE. Whether the (MTA) gets this "bailout" money is immaterial to the point I'm trying to get across. No one is forecasting a return of the ridership levels we've seen. This is countrywide. We're looking at 20-30% ridership levels today and no one expects that to rise above 60% by 2024. As the major businesses retrench nationwide they, not John Q. Public, will determine how much service the (MTA) and it's sister agencies provide. The cuts in service are going to happen. I happen to see the local bus system as the major victim but the subways are not immune. People seem to forget that the IRT, BMT, were private entities that allowed the riders to access the business sector. The (MTA) was created to allow Long Islanders to reach the business sector via the bankrupt LIRR. This post is not a criticism of your post at all but rather an explanation of my post and my reasoning. When any transit agency points out how much money they lose per rider it's time to wake up, IMO. BTW I'm reading the NYT, Washington Post, as well as the NY Daily News and Newsday daily, from cover to cover. That's how I get my perspective, for better or worse. Carry on.

Yes, but if they have new cars already paid for being delivered as scheduled, maybe those 20-30% cuts look like R62s and R68s retiring ahead of schedule. The MTA can't just cancel orders and leave manufacturers holding the bag, they signed a contract, and it costs money and time to fight contract disputes, let alone claw back money they paid.

With the airlines old birds like the 747, 757, 767, A340 and A380 are getting quickly tossed to the scrap heap in favor of paid for planes being delivered. The NTTs all have regenerative braking, making them more cost efficient.

Edited by bobtehpanda

49 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Yes, but if they have new cars already paid for being delivered as scheduled, maybe those 20-30% cuts look like R62s and R68s retiring ahead of schedule. The MTA can't just cancel orders and leave manufacturers holding the bag, they signed a contract, and it costs money and time to fight contract disputes, let alone claw back money they paid.

With the airlines old birds like the 747, 757, 767, A340 and A380 are getting quickly tossed to the scrap heap in favor of paid for planes being delivered. The NTTs all have regenerative braking, making them more cost efficient.

I don't see a reason to retire the R62s and R68/As yet, at least from my perspective, they still run pretty fine unlike the R46s atm. What I see happening from these cuts is a lot less of R46s running. Then again, who knows how the (MTA) plans on running service, we won't know until later on when they discuss it.