R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

18 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

These overshooting incidents have happened in the past with other car fleets.

The issue with the R179s isn’t CBTC auto brake, unlike the CBTC enabled trains. It’s that the brakes don’t work reliably 

Edited by mine248

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, mine248 said:

The issue with the R179s isn’t CBTC auto brake, unlike the CBTC enabled trains. It’s that the brakes don’t work reliably 

They need to be fixed and they need to enter the station at a slower speed because the overshooting have happened in the past on the JZ with other fleets as well and no overshooting incidents has happened on the A

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

5 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

Operators get to choose what train they want? Did not know that.

Those who pick extra list as a job with set days off and tour (AM or PM or Midnight) and those who work extra extra list, who get assigned to this because there are no jobs remaining (after they are all picked), no set days off and no set tour to pick are the only people who have no say in what terminal they work out of and line they work.

What terminal, line, shift and days off you have is based on seniority.  There are 2 general picks per year. 

It would be a real crappy job if you live by Coney Island, for example, and you get assigned to work a job out of 207th and you have 20 years seniority wouldn't it?  Plus with all the jobs needed to be covered system wide every day, it would be a nightmare for the crew offices to assign a job to thousands of people (train operators, conductors, tower operators, station agents, station cleaners) on a daily basis.

17 hours ago, jon2305 said:

I have 2 words to begin with: Black Box.  Until I get more info, I would not throw either the t/o's or the R179 consists "under the bus"....or take sides due to the reputation of these cars.

I am not about to throw those t/o's under the bus until I find out where their brake sequencing began.  On all equipment, including  new techs, the t/o's are trained to allow additional stopping distance in inclement weather.  The t/o's are trained to always have their train under control.  To adjust your operation in accordance to the condition of the rails.  That goes for every railroad on earth!

Since I was a t/o for over 30 years, I will always give the t/o the benefit of the doubt...…..until proven wrong.    If those black boxes tell me those t/o's came barreling into those stations and not apply a brake till he was well into the station, well, that's plain wrong.  If the black boxes show that he (they) took a hard brake, released, then pulled another hard brake, it takes time for the air to adjust to apply further braking effort.

So let's just wait till more is known.  If the cars are at fault, then NYCT will take appropriate action on the cars.  At this point, the cars are here to stay IMO.  Transit will keep drilling into the heads of the t/o's to "ALWAYS HAVE YOUR TRAIN UNDER CONTROL".  If lines running R179's become rookie lines, do y'all think transit cares?  Hell no.  The t/o's will either sink or swim and work another line when their seniority allows it.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

5 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I have 2 words to begin with: Black Box.  Until I get more info, I would not throw either the t/o's or the R179 consists "under the bus"....or take sides due to the reputation of these cars.

I am not about to throw those t/o's under the bus until I find out where their brake sequencing began.  On all equipment, including  new techs, the t/o's are trained to allow additional stopping distance in inclement weather.  The t/o's are trained to always have their train under control.  To adjust your operation in accordance to the condition of the rails.  That goes for every railroad on earth!

Since I was a t/o for over 30 years, I will always give the t/o the benefit of the doubt...…..until proven wrong.    If those black boxes tell me those t/o's came barreling into those stations and not apply a brake till he was well into the station, well, that's plain wrong.  If the black boxes show that he (they) took a hard brake, released, then pulled another hard brake, it takes time for the air to adjust to apply further braking effort.

So let's just wait till more is known.  If the cars are at fault, then NYCT will take appropriate action on the cars.  At this point, the cars are here to stay IMO.  Transit will keep drilling into the heads of the t/o's to "ALWAYS HAVE YOUR TRAIN UNDER CONTROL".  If lines running R179's become rookie lines, do y'all think transit cares?  Hell no.  The t/o's will either sink or swim and work another line when their seniority allows it.

Of course there are here to stay. Like them or not. Railfans have to get used to the fact that the r42's and r32's era is over. As for the r179's, their reliability will improve just like the r46's in the 90's and the r142's. Give them time.

Thanks for the clarification in regards to the t/o's and the overshoot issues.

The (MTA) spent approximately $600 million on those trains for all intents and purposes of replacing the R32s & R42s that were still remaining pass their useful life. So yes they will stay and serve the transit system for the long haul. It wouldn't make any logical sense at all to pull them of again and restore a car fleet close to 60 years of age back into service. The R179s are still relatively brand new even after two years so there still some kinks they have to troubleshoot on. They continue to check and maintain any viable aspect of the R179s so they'll get it together moving forward. The R142s which were made by the same builder as the R179s (Bombardier) had there issues early on as well, as did other subway car fleets. Despite all the mechanical flaws, bottom line at this point and time the R179s are needed and the (MTA) can pick up the slack once the warranty on the R179s expire.

There's no need for the blame game towards the T/Os or train crew in general.  They are quality trained to know how to operate and control the movement of their assigned train. Unless there's more to it with said "Black Box", T/Os don't deserve to be scapegoated. The Bombardier techs from what I've heard don't grab as decent as the Kawasaki techs do when applying the braking system into a station and in bad weather it's the same issue with all the tech trains.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:40 PM, 4P3607 said:

Not sure if this was mentioned but the set that pulled apart (3288-3292) has been back in service as of a few weeks ago. 

Wasn't that the first set to return to service? If not, then that means we've been running with reduced service somewhere...

On 3/15/2021 at 4:19 PM, Lawrence St said:

Wasn't that the first set to return to service? If not, then that means we've been running with reduced service somewhere...

Not really. It was still at Coney Island Yard at some point when the (A) is slowly putting R179s back on the rails, in numbers of 2-4. 

• 1 month later...

@Trainmaster5 I had a question about operations, but I'm not sure if you've operated a train in CBTC territory or know the rules regarding it. If a train overshoots a platform while on CBTC active mode, does the operator get penalized even though they're not controlling the train?

EDIT: My apologies I thought this was the random thoughts thread.

Edited by Lawrence St

12 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

@Trainmaster5 I had a question about operations, but I'm not sure if you've operated a train in CBTC territory or know the rules regarding it. If a train overshoots a platform while on CBTC active mode, does the operator get penalized even though they're not controlling the train?

CBTC is a foreign concept to us prehistoric IRT folks. I'm sure that there's someone on the forums that can answer that question for you.  Carry on 

8 hours ago, VIP said:

They’ve finally got around to updating the R179’s automated system. Now we have readings such as “JFK AIRTRAIN” and the announcements that play  “this is an accessible station” ...it’s about time. 

I wonder if they have that mask annoucement on top of that or that it's a Rosie Perez motto on the R142s (2) and (5) trains. 

51 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I wonder if they have that mask annoucement on top of that or that it's a Rosie Perez motto on the R142s (2) and (5) trains. 

It’s actually the same As the R160’s. I was on my classmates’ train and she showed me the (male) “Wear a mask” announcement option and the (female) “Wear a mask” announcement. So basically Whatever AAS update the R160’s got, some of the R179’s got. 

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Jarobortiz said:

A:R179 R211A/T B: R68/A C ;R179 R211A D ; R68 E:R211A/T F:R160A/B G:R211 j:R160A 1 R179 L:R143 R16A 1 M:R160A 1 N:R160A/B R211A Q:R211A/T R:R160A/B FS:R68 RS:R211 Z:R160A 1 R179

Excuse me sir, but could you stop reposting the same message in different threads?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/30/2021 at 8:37 PM, Vulturious said:

3052 has a coupler.

20210730_130041.jpg?width=901&height=676

I heard it's temporary but who knows. (MTA) has been doing weird stuff lately. Wouldn't surprise me if they use existing B cars and turn them into 10 car units. 

But they are going to install CBTC kits on these cars soon.

Edited by R32 3838

• 3 months later...