R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that's pretty much 32 full 8-car consists with one 4-car set left over, and 4 full 10-car consits

...something ain't right here

If it's in response to the extra 4-car set, that could be an extra. If it's to the amount per type, well it's looking like it will be primarily for the C.

That last part was initially confusing to me too, but it is what it is.

R160A-1s from the (J)(Z) could end up on the (C) and the R179s could go to East New York for those two skip-stop lines and for more (L) service. Who knows...the (MTA) is already put whatever they see fit them. :ph34r:

Anyways, I'm just glad that we have two more years left with the R32s. I do however look forward to see these new trains though.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I doubt the (A) is getting those, then. They're not interchangeable, so having them at the same yard won't accomplish anything. (Unles they're planning putting them together as 9 car trains somewhere).

As I said, those are most likely to fill in on the (F), so the additional 46's would be sent to the (A).

I'm hoping the (C) would share its 179's with those shuttles. They probably don't need 300ft, so 240 will do just fine.

I doubt the (A) is getting those, then. They're not interchangeable, so having them at the same yard won't accomplish anything. (Unles they're planning putting them together as 9 car trains somewhere).

As I said, those are most likely to fill in on the (F), so the additional 46's would be sent to the (A).

I'm hoping the (C) would share its 179's with those shuttles. They probably don't need 300ft, so 240 will do just fine.

You mean you think that those 40 R179s in sets of five are most likely gonna go to Jamaica and run on the (F) line...? Car assignments wouldn't even call for that...It's suppose to be balance. So I think that 20 out of the 40 R179s in sets of five will run on the (A) line which will send 16 R46s from Pitkin back to Jamaica and run on the (F) instead.

And remember, the rest of the R179s are in sets of four. Even if the (A) can't borrow any cars from the (C) again, the (MTA) will most likely balance the R179 fleet, then to send only a small amount of them to another shop that would serve no benefit whatsoever....

Edited by RollOverMyHead

More over, I don't see any other place to put them other than 207th and East New York but that's only if they shift the assignments just right. These trains are to replace the 240 R32s and 50 or 60 R42s in TA property. So until the R179s are place into service, I'm just going to enjoy the R32s on the (C) line since we have 2 and a half more years left with them before their retirement starts. But I'll still be ready for the "unexpected", if ever.......

Edited by RollOverMyHead

A handful of cars on the (A) won't create any real balance (just them being on the (C), which runs with the (A) will balance it out someqhat, compared to now, where the entire uptown IND han no NTT's at all).

But they obviously want the Queens expresses to be entirely NTT; the (F) got 46's back for lack of 160's when that car shift occurred, and this order would be just enough to fill it out. Anywhere they go, they will be oddballs among some other fleet (including thei four-car brethren).

Unless they put them on the (G), which would be another good idea. As for the shuttles; again, I don't see why they would need 5 car units over 4 car units.

Edited by Eric B

Well, that's also possible. Though it would be a little odd to see the (C) with newer trains and the (A) still having the oldest fleet in the system. As for the R179, I was thinking more about the parts as opposed to running a 9-car train. I guess that's true about the (S) not needing a full 300' train, but I don't see the need to keep the newest trains out there.

Splitting the R179 between two shops wouldn't make any sense if it wasn't necessary. I can't imagine they'll split them between three.

I am sure the rest of the F will become NTT. It will have to with CBTC contracts being awarded next year(Unless we see R68s being equipped with CBTC, which I rather doubt). However the R179 order will be far too small for that, as the entirety of the R would also have to be converted to CBTC as well.

Splitting the R179 between two shops wouldn't make any sense if it wasn't necessary. I can't imagine they'll split them between three.

I am sure the rest of the F will become NTT. It will have to with CBTC contracts being awarded next year(Unless we see R68s being equipped with CBTC, which I rather doubt). However the R179 order will be far too small for that, as the entirety of the R would also have to be converted to CBTC as well.

Well obviously ENY isn't going to ship out a few R160s just to take all the 8 car R179s. Of course it's speculation about making JYD mostly NTT, but what's to stop them from taking the 10 car trains and bumping off a few R46s? Ftr, I don't care where the R179s go. Either place won't make a difference to me as a rider.

Well, that's also possible. Though it would be a little odd to see the (C) with newer trains and the (A) still having the oldest fleet in the system.

Well, that's what's going to happen anyway, if these cars are being made such that most of them are for the (C). Of that handful of 5 car units did go to the (A), it still wouldn't be enough to change that image of the (A) being mostly old equipment.

(Yes, it's a total reversal of the (A) being the "showcase line" getting the newest equipment).

As for the R179, I was thinking more about the parts as opposed to running a 9-car train. I guess that's true about the (S) not needing a full 300' train, but I don't see the need to keep the newest trains out there.

NTT's are good for the OPTO That's also why the (G) should get them too.(especially with the enabler setup! On the NTT's with their originally built in enablers, it's automatically disabled when in OPTO service. For the older car retrofits, it's not).

The 179's will probably be close enough to the 160's for it not to matter. They're primarily to fill in for the 160's, to enable the retirement of the 32's and 42's.

I wouldn't be sure. The R32 spare factor is high enough that you could take 50 cars and send them to ENY and still reliably make service on the C.

By reacting the 8 sets at ENY and the 10 in work service. Send 48 (not 50) for the (J)(Z). 144 for the (C) with 48 as spares and 40 for the (J)(Z) with 8 as spares..