R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Off Topic Question: Wasn't the first proposal to replace the R32 in 1999?

IMO I will see many missing runs in future years. I doubt the R32 will make it even with SMS. Thus this order is taking a lot of time to complete based on the 32s/42s performance

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO I will see many missing runs in future years. I doubt the R32 will make it even with SMS. Thus this order is taking a lot of time to complete based on the 32s/42s performance

The R32's are fine, it's the 42's that are the problem. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the (Z) stopped running when the (J) gets restored completely.

Yeah. In 1981, those preliminary plans were drawn up. Which, mind you, was during the low points of the subway when maintenance was just starting to get better. Before the General Overhauls in fact. The TA had no idea, nor did they have any reason to believe that, well into the 2000s, those cars would still be in service. And in relatively good condition to boot.

• 2 weeks later...

How come?

While the (C) does use full-length trains of 75 footers (R44s, R46s, R68/As), it uses short-length trains of 60 footers (R32s, R38s, R40s, and R42s) on regular basis as now (just like the BMT Eastern Division).

Edited by RollOverMyHead

While the (C) does use full-length trains of 75 footers (R44s, R46s, R68/As), it uses short-length trains of 60 footers (R32s, R38s, R40s, and R42s) on regular basis as now (just like the BMT Eastern Division).

Well the (C) doesnt use R44s, those are only for the SIR, or R68/As those are for (B)(D)(G), R38s are retired anyways, R40 or R42s are for the (A)(J)(Z), it only uses R46s in the summer and R32s other times so that was a flaw in that statement, first of all. Second of all Im saying that the R179s should go to those lines because they seem like they are in desperate need of improvement, Im just saying.

Well the (C) doesnt use R44s, those are only for the SIR, or R68/As those are for (B)(D)(G), R38s are retired anyways, R40 or R42s are for the (A)(J)(Z), it only uses R46s in the summer and R32s other times so that was a flaw in that statement, first of all. Second of all Im saying that the R179s should go to those lines because they seem like they are in desperate need of improvement, Im just saying.

Yeah, I know that. I was refering to the regular equipment assignments for the (C) (both past and present), you don't need to correct me. And the R68/68As are fine for the (B)(D)(G), and (G) uses four car sets of 75 footers or five car sets of 60 footers so the R179s won't certainly end up there nor do they need new cars. R179s are a main four car order anyway.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Well the (C) doesnt use R44s, those are only for the SIR, or R68/As those are for (B)(D)(G), R38s are retired anyways, R40 or R42s are for the (A)(J)(Z), it only uses R46s in the summer and R32s other times so that was a flaw in that statement, first of all.

I think he was referring to all the cars used on the line in recent history :rolleyes:

Second of all Im saying that the R179s should go to those lines because they seem like they are in desperate need of improvement,

People complain about the (C) like no tomorrow but I haven't heard bad things about the (B)(D).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just enjoying the years we already have left with the older R32 and R42 car types. I don't really look forward to seeing any NTTs on the (A) or (C) anytime soon nor the future car assignments. All I care about is enjoying what car assignments in the subway system we already have now. When the times comes, it will sure be leaked.