R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you guys dont think, the reason why i said that the R42s fate will be decided is due to the fact the MTA is NOT SMS'ing the R42s, there are 222 R32s in active service with 144 of them on the (C) while the rest are spares with 10 in work service and 8 R32s in ENY in reserve, after the R32 SMS is complete the TA can wipeout all of them 48 R42s and retire them and have em in storage in other words the R32s (about 46 of em or less like 34 cars) can wipe them 42s out, if the MTA has no plans on giving the R42s an SMS what does that tell you guys, there is no way in hell that these will last until the 1st R179 comes in in 2015 unless they get some type of work, they are in very bad shape due to not being maintained as much, unless the MTA decides to SMS the R42s, i stand by my word

You can stand by your word all you want but no one is going to believe you until it actually happens...As I said before, the official plan still calls for the R179s to arrive first before the R42s go out the door. So I'm not even bothered by your post about the cars being in bad shape and yadah yadah...As long as the Transit Authority continues to give them some maintenance work and keeping them running when needed, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. The cars don't even run out as much - remember the (J) runs on its 10 minute headway off-peak and it mostly uses R160s.

See, I believe the R42s can last. The first train of R179 is supposed to arrive summer next year. 90 Day test after pre-service testing and if all goes well, the rest of the R179 should begin delivery in early 2015. The R42 can definitely last 'till 2015. And before anyone makes the "Let's see if they keep that schedule" comment, when it comes to subway cars, unless the builder has a problem, car orders tend to be on time.

the info i posted came from a TA supervior i know, most of you guys dont even pay attention, the TA wants to deal with one car class of SMEEs and the simple fact that they are oddballs, the R42s are in bad shape period, do the math 222 plus 8 cars (230) R32s compared to 48 R42s, like i said in a previous comment if the TA wanted to, they take those R42s OOS in a blink of an eye, only 24 of the cars are used, if they decide to keep them and fix em up, ( that would be a smart choice) then you know that some line will get an service increase, btw those 8 R32s at ENY CAN run, and they have been moving it around

you guys dont think, the reason why i said that the R42s fate will be decided is due to the fact the MTA is NOT SMS'ing the R42s, there are 222 R32s in active service with 144 of them on the (C) while the rest are spares with 10 in work service and 8 R32s in ENY in reserve, after the R32 SMS is complete the TA can wipeout all of them 48 R42s and retire them and have em in storage in other words the R32s (about 46 of em or less like 34 cars) can wipe them 42s out, if the MTA has no plans on giving the R42s an SMS what does that tell you guys, there is no way in hell that these will last until the 1st R179 comes in in 2015 unless they get some type of work, they are in very bad shape due to not being maintained as much, unless the MTA decides to SMS the R42s, i stand by my word

What's the hold up with the R179s? We been talking about this order for about 5 years atleast. I thought they where coming next year (2014). As for the R42s, assuming there is actually about 240 or so R32s left, I agree that the R42s can bite the dust any day now. So we should enjoy them while we still can. Edited by jgood6195

What's the hold up with the R179s? We been talking about this order for about 5 years atleast. I thought they where coming next year (2014).

If you were around in the last 5 Years (as you claim), you would already been know what the hold up was....... (If you have been monitoring this thread or similar)

Edited by mark1447

the info i posted came from a TA supervior

Contrary to popular belief, transit employees can be wrong - we are all human, and until I see REAL proof that the 42s won't last to the arrival of the 179s I'm going to take any information you post regarding their demise with a very large grain of salt.

Trains ain't our everyday lives (Especially with us)

Yeah... no.

the TA wants to deal with one car class of SMEEs and the simple fact that they are oddballs,

If that's true what's replacing the R46s, R68/As then? Did you forget R46s and R68s are SMEE cars too? As for the rest of the stuff you've claimed I will wait until it actually happens before I believe it.

Edited by DJ MC

If that's true what's replacing the R46s, R68/As then? Did you forget R46s and R68s are SMEE cars too? As for the rest of the stuff you've claimed I will wait until it actually happens before I believe it.

As of now, it's planned that the R211s are retiring the R46s while some other fleet retires the R68/As.

As of now, it's planned that the R211s are retiring the R46s while some other fleet retires the R68/As.

Oh I already know that. I personally want to know where is he getting the idea the TA wants one fleet of SMEEs very soon.

Contrary to popular belief, transit employees can be wrong - we are all human, and until I see REAL proof that the 42s won't last to the arrival of the 179s I'm going to take any information you post regarding their demise with a very large grain of salt.

I don't have proof one way or the other, but is there any SMS work scheduled (or budgeted) for the R42's? If not, that suggests that they may be on the way out sooner rather than later. The current spare ratio on the R32's is extremely high, and running 24 R32's on the J/Z would still leave a lot of spares. If SMS improves reliability on the R32's, they could probably replace the R42's until the R179's arrive.