R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

you guys dont think, the reason why i said that the R42s fate will be decided is due to the fact the MTA is NOT SMS'ing the R42s, there are 222 R32s in active service with 144 of them on the (C) while the rest are spares with 10 in work service and 8 R32s in ENY in reserve, after the R32 SMS is complete the TA can wipeout all of them 48 R42s and retire them and have em in storage in other words the R32s (about 46 of em or less like 34 cars) can wipe them 42s out, if the MTA has no plans on giving the R42s an SMS what does that tell you guys, there is no way in hell that these will last until the 1st R179 comes in in 2015 unless they get some type of work, they are in very bad shape due to not being maintained as much, unless the MTA decides to SMS the R42s, i stand by my word

R32 (J) train, you wish… R42's are still running okay. Try again in a year or two.

Edited by Quill Depot

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that's true what's replacing the R46s, R68/As then? Did you forget R46s and R68s are SMEE cars too? As for the rest of the stuff you've claimed I will wait until it actually happens before I believe it.

According to the 2010 long-term capital plan the R68's (68a's too) are planned to be in service until at least 2025.

Remember those are the newest cars in the fleet that aren't NTT... barring any major unresolved defects, it makes sense these would be the last to be replaced.

In 2025 the oldest of these cars will only be 34 years old. Considering the R32 is 49, the R42 is 44, that's not too bad. The youngest R46 is 35 years old right now, and they've still got another 6 years at least until the 211's start rolling in. Replacing the 68's in 2025 would, in comparison, really not be so bad at all.

According to the 2010 long-term capital plan the R68's (68a's too) are planned to be in service until at least 2025.

Remember those are the newest cars in the fleet that aren't NTT... barring any major unresolved defects, it makes sense these would be the last to be replaced.

In 2025 the oldest of these cars will only be 34 years old. Considering the R32 is 49, the R42 is 44, that's not too bad. The youngest R46 is 35 years old right now, and they've still got another 6 years at least until the 211's start rolling in. Replacing the 68's in 2025 would, in comparison, really not be so bad at all.

Uh that was a misunderstanding I had with R32's post. I got the point.

More like the R62 since both were part of NYCTA's "New Car Fleet" of the 80s. And the 62s were the IRT's first all Stainless steel cars.

And when it comes to the mechanical aspect, the design for the R62 and R68 is of the R36 because the R44/46 designs were a failure.

Edited by LTA1992

And when it comes to the mechanical aspect, the design for the R62 and R68 is of the R36 because the R44/46 designs were a failure.

That is true. More so for the R44s. Too much "tech" too soon. The main issue for the R46s were the trucks. But going back to their 'roots' are what makes the 62s and 68s going strong!

That is true. More so for the R44s. Too much "tech" too soon. The main issue for the R46s were the trucks. But going back to their 'roots' are what makes the 62s and 68s going strong!

The R62s and R68s also have the benefit of being made in a time where the (MTA) started to take maintenance and "testing out things before you buy it" more seriously.  

And to the issues of the R42s, current (MTA) literature has them as being replaced by the R179s, regardless of the current deplorable conditions of the cars or any unconfirmed information we've herd. 

Edited by Nova RTS 9147

The R62s and R68s also have the benefit of being made in a time where the (MTA) started to take maintenance and "testing out things before you buy it" more seriously.  

And to the issues of the R42s, current (MTA) literature has them as being replaced by the R179s, regardless of the current deplorable conditions of the cars or any unconfirmed information we've herd. 

When R179 come into service be delivered in 2015. 2 years from now. This is year 2013. Whcih Yard receive R179.. If East New York Yard then can retire R42 at least 2 month when delivered in January 2015. By the month of March 2015.. All remaining 50 R42 cars at East New Yard be retire in March 2015. It easy to retire 50 R42 cars in 2 months. rather than 222 cars R32 it will take 5 months to retire....

When R179 come into service be delivered in 2015. 2 years from now. This is year 2013. Whcih Yard receive R179.. If East New York Yard then can retire R42 at least 2 month when delivered in January 2015. By the month of March 2015.. All remaining 50 R42 cars at East New Yard be retire in March 2015. It easy to retire 50 R42 cars in 2 months. rather than 222 cars R32 it will take 5 months to retire....

We doesnt not know about R179 assignment. MTA also want keep R42 MTA also contract to change

Edited by mtattrain

Something about how 2015 is two years from now (like we cant count) and how its going to take longer to retire the R32s than the R42s due to the amount of cars.

lol, I meant it as a rhetorical question, but thanks for the translation. I felt like I lost some brain cells trying to understand his nonsense. Edited by Grand Concourse

I hate to take this off topic, but shit are some users flunking English class or something? Man I've seen kids write better then that and I live in the south. Goodness gracious. Back on topic we really won't know who gets the R179s until they are being delivered. After all the MTA does change their minds every second right?

But this is a special case. So it's technically already known. It's a small enough order that will have no choice to go to the lines already specified and that's further reinforced by the way the order is set up. When it comes to subway cars, their minds don't change too much.

But this is a special case. So it's technically already known. It's a small enough order that will have no choice to go to the lines already specified and that's further reinforced by the way the order is set up. When it comes to subway cars, their minds don't change too much.

Yeah, it's usually buses.