R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah.... I am really starting to think that our forum should require the age of a person first before allowing them to create an account here. Apparently it seems like most of the foamers here are under the age of 14....

Now back on topic. Are the cars already under construction?

I don't think it'd be fair to target all posters of that age as you have some that are more mature than others. But if the person has like 7 topic threads locked because of the person's history, then at what point is enough enough regarding them?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="LTA1992" data-cid="634421" data-time="1358587702"><p>

The first train is supposed to be on property summer of next year with production cars following in 2015.</p></blockquote>

Apparently some MTA PDF file says December 2014 for the test train, but I could be wrong.

But this is a special case. So it's technically already known. It's a small enough order that will have no choice to go to the lines already specified and that's further reinforced by the way the order is set up. When it comes to subway cars, their minds don't change too much.

Most of the order is in 4 car sets. There's no choice but to run those cars on lines that run 8 car (480 foot) trains. Most will run on the C, completely replacing the R32's there. Some will run on the J/Z or the M, replacing the R42's now on the J/Z. (The only other line with 480 foot trains is the L, but the R179's won't be equipped with CBTC packages, so they can't run on the L.)

Only 40 cars are in 5 car sets. They could run on any 600 foot line, but my very strong hunch is that they will run on the A so that they can be maintained at the same shop that maintains the R179's on the C. Running them on any other line would require adding a small car class to a shop that wouldn't otherwise need to be set up for it.

Not necessarily. If the 179s are similar enough to the 160s (and it's pretty much guaranteed they are), it wouldn't be any different to how East New York maintains both the 143s and the 160A1s. So in theory, the new cars could still go to Jamaica or Coney Island without having to upgrade either barn.

The (W). Why in hell would that come back.

BTW, will the R179 look similar to the R160. Differences?

SAS....

They could put them on the (G) (Which I always thought should have NTT's, because of the long OPTO on the weekends), move the 68's back to the other CI lines, and then some of the CI 160's would go to the (F).

Never thought of that....

While the R179s will probably be very similar to the R160s in overall appearance, it appears as if almost none of the systems will be the same as the prior new tech orders based on the different subcontractor press releases which have come out. Furthermore, I don't think the ENY situation is in any way ideal- If there was a way for ENY to service only one fleet, I am sure such would be done. I think it is pretty unlikely that the 5 car R179s will end up anywhere but the A.

(Actually, I take that back- they may be much better for OPTO than R46s, in which case, I would not be surprised to see them on the Rock Park Shuttle. Either way, I highly doubt they will be based out of a different shop than the C line cars.)

Not necessarily. If the 179s are similar enough to the 160s (and it's pretty much guaranteed they are), it wouldn't be any different to how East New York maintains both the 143s and the 160A1s. So in theory, the new cars could still go to Jamaica or Coney Island without having to upgrade either barn.

I didn't say anything about barn upgrades. While the R179's will look very similar to the R160's, under the hood they will be very different. They will require different parts and the maintenance procedures will probably be quite different.

The situation at East New York, with R143's, R160's, and soon R179's, is unavoidable. The R179's could go to Jamaica or Coney Island, but why would they?

If the 5 car R179's go to the A, that frees up 36 R46's to go to the F, which frees up 40 R160's to go to the reinstated W. Jamaica still only maintains R46's and R160's, and Coney Island still only maintains R68's and R68A's and R160's.

True. So I imagine they'll be to fill out on the (F), to push out those 46's running there.

To push them where, Coney Island? Then Jamaica would be stuck maintaining a small fleet of R179's on top of its primary fleets of R46's and R160's, and Coney Island would be stuck maintaining a small fleet of R46's on top of its primary fleets of R68's and R68A's and R160's. What's the point?

They could put them on the (G) (Which I always thought should have NTT's, because of the long OPTO on the weekends), move the 68's back to the other CI lines, and then some of the CI 160's would go to the (F).

R160's could go to the G today if there were a desire to do so - no need for R179's.

Why does Pitkin need four more trains? SAS will require more trains at Coney Island, not at Pitkin.

To cover the 16 R46s that were flooded at 207th Street station during the Sandy. Even if those 40 R179s go to Jamaica, what will be the problem if Pitkin gets more trains? Remember the (A) now runs 36 trains at rush hour, formerly 38.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

To cover the 16 R46s that were flooded at 207th Street station during the Sandy. Even if those 40 R179s go to Jamaica, what will be the problem if Pitkin gets more trains? Remember the (A) now runs 36 trains at rush hour, formerly 38.

I highly doubt that a contract signed in March 2012 included enough cars to replace cars damaged in October 2012.

The MTA didn't order 40 cars as a feel-good measure to arbitrarily increase the fleet size. (At $2 million per car, that would have been an $80 million feel-good measure.) The 40 cars are needed to open SAS, so wherever the new cars actually end up, the net increase will be at Coney Island.

Nice at least Jamaica Yard can recover cars that they sent R160B 

To push them where, Coney Island? Then Jamaica would be stuck maintaining a small fleet of R179's on top of its primary fleets of R46's and R160's, and Coney Island would be stuck maintaining a small fleet of R46's on top of its primary fleets of R68's and R68A's and R160's. What's the point?

They probably won't be that different from the 160's that one barn couldn't handle them. The biggest benefit of yard assignments is interoperability, and those 179's will be by themselves on the (A) anyway. Either way, they won't be able to operate with anything else in whatever barn they go to.

And I didn't say small fleet of 46's to CI. Whether they put the 179's on the (A) or (F), they will be displacing 46's. I imagine they will become reserve, or increase the spare factor, or whatever.

R160's could go to the G today if there were a desire to do so - no need for R179's.

True, and I've always wondered why they insisted on 68's (They talked about it for years before they actually did it. Meanwhile  the first 160-A2's were at one time said to be for the (G)). 

But they could be waiting for more cars for the (F) to get its fill first.

Also, the G requires more than 8 trains (and you couldn't even reliably get 8 trains out of the R179 5 car unit order.)

Then they would probably borrow 160's as well.

i think of the 16 cars, 2 of them were probably severely damaged because the very north of the station is at an angle and more water gathered by the bumpers.