R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Still think it should've been the other way around with mostly 5-car units (so they could use them anywhere on the A division and not just the (C) ) and some 4-car units for the (J) / (Z) to retire the R42s.

(C)? But the (C) was supposed to get the R211's, right? Or am I confusing the info I read?

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still kinda disappointed that they went mostly 4-car sets, too. These things are going to be so inflexible with most of the B-Division, and it's going to keep the (C) train short-length for the next 40 years. Suppose they want to extend the (C), or reroute it... Train length would definitely become an issue. Although, I did kind of relax a little when I thought about the (C) being a helper line, and has only a few solo stops. That calmed me a little. It's only good for now, though, and not for change.

Come years later, the (A) will be all NTT too once the R46s retire. In fact, it would make it easier for the (A) and (C) to swap cars if the latter of which becomes full length (to which it won't sadly....). Both 207th Street and Pitkin Avenue yards wouldn't care which NTT train type they would have to pull out of the barn and pressed into service at 207th Street on the express or 168th Street on the local S/B and Lefferts Boulevard/The Rockaways on the express or Euclid Avenue on the local during the daytime from 6:00 a.m. to midnight.

At least with the NTTs, 207th Street and Pitkin Avenue yards would be good to go. I dunno how it worked out with the R32s and R38s back in the day. But IMO, this would be efficient had the (MTA) make many of the R179s a 5-car order and the (C) full length. The (A) and (C) can use either R179 or R211 and it wouldn't matter. Just like how the (2) and (5) share the same train but swap cars at their same southern terminal in Brooklyn due to flexibility and bring their crews in and out faster without having to waste time by changing rollsigns via an SMEE train.

Still think it should've been the other way around with mostly 5-car units (so they could use them anywhere on the A division and not just the (C) ) and some 4-car units for the (J) / (Z) to retire the R42s.

Running 600 foot trains on the C would have required 36 more cars, plus spares, to be added to the R179 order.

Running 600 foot trains on the C would have required 36 more cars, plus spares, to be added to the R179 order.

Yes, I realize that. And for the cost it would have greatly increased the flexibility of those R179s, rather than the current set-up where the (C) is made 480-foot-long trains for the next 4 decades and no other lines can use the R179s other than the BMT eastern division lines.

so, just in general when do you think we'll get any more previews of these, or are they just going to be basically updated cbtc-equipped r160's with Bombardier propulsion? I already saw all they renders, but when do you think actual construction will start, because I heard the delievery of the first test train is said to be in December of next year, so yeah, what you guys think?

So construction should start a few months before delivery. They will be wired for CCTV and the cameras can be installed later. The renders also showed the displays the R143s had on the reverse side of the outside LEDs, though that could have been just for the render. The end of a generation, the R179.

so, just in general when do you think we'll get any more previews of these, or are they just going to be basically updated cbtc-equipped r160's with Bombardier propulsion? I already saw all they renders, but when do you think actual construction will start, because I heard the delievery of the first test train is said to be in December of next year, so yeah, what you guys think?

Although the cars are being made by Bombardier, we won't know what kind motors the cars will get until we get more info. They could have Bombardier, Siemens, Alstom, or any type of motor desired. Note that the R142s made by Bombardier are powered by Alstom motors.

Although the cars are being made by Bombardier, we won't know what kind motors the cars will get until we get more info. They could have Bombardier, Siemens, Alstom, or any type of motor desired. Note that the R142s made by Bombardier are powered by Alstom motors.

The trains will have Bombardier's MITRAC propulsion, that's well documented already.

The R142s have Alstom motors because Bombardier only started making traction motors after they acquired Adtranz, and the propulsion package was selected before Adtranz got bought out. The R142A/R143 propulsion was originally designed and built by Adtranz, it also was selected before Bombardier bought Adtranz.

The MITRAC propulsion is the R142A propulsion, right?

Yes, but this order probably won't sound the same. Look up videos of the new CTA cars being built by Bombardier, we might be hearing propulsion similar to that. But, there is a chance it will be the same, obviously Bombardier has brought back the R142A motor for the R188 order so for common parts purposes the TA may request the R142A motors.

Yes, I realize that. And for the cost it would have greatly increased the flexibility of those R179s, rather than the current set-up where the (C) is made 480-foot-long trains for the next 4 decades and no other lines can use the R179s other than the BMT eastern division lines.

A lot of the recent ridership growth has been on the Eastern Division. Seems to me that flexibility is particularly important over there.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my idea of the R179 lol. I'm aware that it won't actually be designed like this but think of these as silly pointers that I feel it should look like. Like access to siri on the T/O control panel. I know no in hell is that happening unless the MTA gives apple some $$ on the side. Also more detailed time display showing the date and tempature as well as the time , destination & next stop. More detailed side LED destination signs to save some letter puching in the codes like how they came up more details on the side LED when the 2007 Orion VIIs came out. And last but not least , bring the orignail bullets back with a LED touchscreen route bullet that can accessed in the T/O A cabs. Unlike the route bullets on the R42 , R46 , R68 , ect they can tap the area once and it'll pull up a screen of routes they can set a bullet for. Plus they can do a quick double tap to make it say "Not in service" or "Special" or to just turn off the route bullet completely. This feature makes the train more attractive & it's eaiser seeing what train it is before it completely pulls into the station. Unlike the Red LED route display on all the new techs so far which are boring because the color is red for all the routes and it's hard to tell what train it is before it pulls in. but once again this a amateur design I do not expect this to happen just tell me what you think. EricasR179.jpg

A more realistic solution is to go the CTA route and have a double line end car display that has date and time static at the bottom line and flips through route and next stop info on the top line.An example:

(R) to Court Street

Aug 18. 1:41 pm

Also have a multi color led that can show the bullet (R) on the front and the side sign idea of yours is a good idea

A more realistic solution is to go the CTA route and have a double line end car display that has date and time static at the bottom line and flips through route and next stop info on the top line.An example:

(R) to Court Street

Aug 18. 1:41 pm

Also have a multi color led that can show the bullet (R) on the front and the side sign idea of yours is a good idea

Thanks. I thought of that idea because I live by the E so taking those R160s after a while is boring. there good cars don't get me wrong I love how the T/Os on the (E) drive them so fast & the sound they make rushing into my home station. But (E) T/Os always go OD fast with their trains I guess that's why everybody loved R32s on that line & why I think of it as the flip side of the (A) sometimes. Anyway I miss seeing route bullets on trains now and I feel like showing the bullet would make the train more efficent so yeah lol plus I kinda wanna see some R46s back on the (E) but the only queens blvd exp that can run old train without complaints is the (F) so yeah :( lol