R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Siemens actually has experience in the NYC Subway they built the propulsion systems for the R160's. Kawasaki, and Bombardier has experience, because they had built NYC Subway cars. Westinghouse also has experience building propulsion systems for the NYC Subway. Even General Electric does, because they built the R110B's propulsion. Adtranz built the R143's propulsion. I can't name any others, because they are either bankrupt, or no longer building passenger cars.

Really? :P Budd is awesome sadly they are not around any more.

Budd is around, they only don't make railcars anymore. Too bad, 'cause they made the longest lasting cars with a good design and of course the still beautiful Zephyr (both locomotive and rounded end car).

Hey why doesn't Alstom build the R179's. They are good subway car builders too. Also since I found out a bit more information the R68's were built by Westinghouse. The R68A's were built by Kawasaki. Alstom, and another company called Jeumont Schneider helped complete some of the R68 cars. Jeumont Schneider is now called Schneider Electrics. Though Schneider Electric also no longer builds train cars. They only focus on electrics so don't expect them to build cars anytime soon.

Since Bombardier's plant is in upstate New York if the cars are built by Bombardier they would most likely be born in this state making them Canadian-American rail cars. The company is Canadian, but it was born in this state thus it's American.

They built some good trains.Idk maybe they're too expensive for the MTA.

Going from the Bi-Levels for NJT to the M-7's.

And btw the manufacturing facilities in New York State and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

That's because no one here even me knows that company till you mentioned it, and anyways they might not have any experience building NYC Subway cars. Most likely the company that will build these cars is Kawasaki.

Well, they made LA Metro's P865 and P2020 light rail cars. Nippon Sharyo railcars are heavily used in Tokyo and Nagoya.

Not being mean, but I think the (MTA) might pick someone with experience in building subway cars for the NYC Subway. Companies that I mentioned has a better chance of getting a contract with the NYC Subway due to past experience. The NYC Subway cars from a reading I did a long time ago goes through the most extreme tests to see if it can survive in this city, and the climate before a large contract is ordered.

It will Be Kawasaki

Bomberdier is not going to want a small order

Alstom has a bad reputation due to the fact it took them forever to deliver the R160's

and lets just stop foaming and wait, we already have over 1,000 R160's if you are a tech fan foam over those, have respect for the old equipment that's still running today, they wouldn't be around if the R44's didn't have those problems. so please relax and keep cool damn.

Allshit (i mean alstom) should NEVER build anything at all for NYC again. The end.

if this hasn't been said already since I didnt read through all 10 pages lol the MTA is supposed to go with whoever has the offer with the lower price. Me I think they will probably end up with kawasaki or bombardier again; of course it would always nice to see a 3rd party manufacturer come into the subway however.