R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

How much more would it cost the MTA to have 260 cars in a 5 set and 40 in a 4 set for the R42's? That's still 300 cars.

More than it's worth. Bombardier is already in the process of building the number of A and B cars necessary to create the 260 four-car sets and 40 five-car sets. Changing that order, while possible, would require them to change the amount of A/B cars, thus delaying the order and costing the MTA more money in the process.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

There isn't any definite word on car numbers for either order. In theory, the 179s could use the numbers after 2924 (the last R68) and the 211s can start from the old R32 car numbers. Really though, it's way too early for that, especially for the 211s, which haven't even been ordered yet.

• 4 weeks later...

This order is ridiculous. We've been talking about the R179 since at least 2008 and still, no test train has been built?

The first test train is due to arrive by the end of the year.

sometime, it meant not to be built. think about this, where the r 70, r80, r90, r100?

The" R" contact does not necessarily mean new subway cars. Example, the yellow locomotives we have now ate under the contract number R47/52/77/77E/156. The ex redbirds were ordered as R33/36, but when rebuiltdas the yellow cars, they came under the contract R161

There's s list floating around of the contract numbers starting back to the R1s but I can't find it

Looks more like maroon, but then the LCD doesn't do LED colors any justice.

Brown in LED mixing is basically a dark orange or amber. Simple LED signs that are not video/graphic displays usually don't have a wide range of colors. Each primary can be shown at full intensity or half intensity; if you're lucky, quarter intensity, so the closest would be what amounts to a hex value of 804000. I have one of the signs used by the LOTTO machines, which uses yellow green, which produces more reddish yellows, and "brown" is 808000, and it just looks like a duller amber. (this is what I have simulated for the Nassau St. lines in my avatar).

So this is probably just a dull red or something, and it looks like separate primary color LED's (SRGB) rather than pure RGB, so those look like columns of dim greens next to the reds.

• 4 weeks later...

So the test train was delayed until January 2015. (did someone else mention this? If so my apologies). Its going to be interesting where they will start testing this train in revenue service. I guess almost the entire B division almost as they did with the R160's? (I don't recall them officially testing them on the G - as the only time they actually ran on the crosstown to CI was during whe major Jay Street work that was performed in recent memory as a GO.)

On a side note, yes I remember this. Thats was during the Jay Street trackbed rehab when the crews were tearing up the place ridiculous with CAT jackhammers with bulldozers at the ready like this was a demolition operation of the station. (Correct?)  Which was awesome to see, saw it firsthand . Once in a lifetime opportunity. I cant say when we will ever see this ever happening again....

• 2 weeks later...