R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first of the R179 cars are now completely built. In little more than 90 days, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is set to take delivery of the first 10-car prototype set of Bombardier R179 cars. The program is said to be coming along just fine, and MTA is expected to do an audit inspection of the first cars in the next few months. If all goes well, the cars will be delivered on-time late this summer. Alas, the wait is almost over!

Source- MTA

I kinda got that from the mock-up, which was already quite distinct in my eyes.

That's stating the obvious.

What will be distinct?

A few exterior features. I hear the lights will be the same type just with a slightly different position.

The first of the R179 cars are now completely built. In little more than 90 days, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is set to take delivery of the first 10-car prototype set of Bombardier R179 cars. The program is said to be coming along just fine, and MTA is expected to do an audit inspection of the first cars in the next few months. If all goes well, the cars will be delivered on-time late this summer. Alas, the wait is almost over!

5 or 4 car sets? How many? Isn't it supposed to be delivered in the 4th quarter of this year? How can they be delivered this summer?

What is your source speciffically? Don't see this info elsewhere?

I bet this is a joke.

5 or 4 car sets? How many? Isn't it supposed to be delivered in the 4th quarter of this year? How can they be delivered this summer?

What is your source speciffically? Don't see this info elsewhere?

I bet this is a joke.

Bruh relax. This guy works for the MTA, all his resources are legit, he been around for a long time, but left for like 2 years. Remember the name EAST NEW YORK, and understand who he is.

Now, about the R179, that's great news to hear! Much earlier than expected.

Bruh relax. This guy works for the MTA, all his resources are legit, he been around for a long time, but left for like 2 years. Remember the name EAST NEW YORK, and understand who he is.

Now, about the R179, that's great news to hear! Much earlier than expected.

OK i didn't know how reliable source he was because he left. I'm surprised that they are ready this early! People were thinking it would be from '15 to beginning of '17. Know what the exact car assignments will be.

Will the R32s last longer because of there large spare ratio? Possibly till R211! I hope this does not cut short me favorite subway cars' time.

Also i didnt notice he wrote 10 cars

Sorry ENY!

Edited by Union Tpke

So.... They can last longer until the R211s come.

But you said that you hoped that their time doesn't get cut short. It can't be, given that they've exceeded their design time by 10 years.

If they were all to collapse in a pile of rust tomorrow, they wouldn't owe us a thing.

The 32s will be retired from revenue service when the 179s come. You guys should be happy the 44s had issues so the 32s could stick around for a extra five years or so.

Besides they saved a pair or two for the museum so you will always be able to ride them once or twice a year.

The 32s will be retired from revenue service when the 179s come. You guys should be happy the 44s had issues so the 32s could stick around for a extra five years or so.

Besides they saved a pair or two for the museum so you will always be able to ride them once or twice a year.

I know I know. I am too enthusiastic about R32s. I am sorry when I get like this.

So.... They can last longer until the R211s come.

I know you want them to stick around forever, but realistically, the MTA won't be willing to put any more money into keeping the 32s in service any longer than they need to.

The R32s will be gone once the R179s come in, and the R46s will be gone once the R211s come in. The old cars definitely remind me of my childhood, but seriously, I can't wait until the R32s are gone. Their reliability is non existent and I think (A)(C) riders deserve something new already

OK i didn't know how reliable source he was because he left. I'm surprised that they are ready this early! People were thinking it would be from '15 to beginning of '17. Know what the exact car assignments will be.

Will the R32s last longer because of there large spare ratio? Possibly till R211! I hope this does not cut short me favorite subway cars' time.

Also i didnt notice he wrote 10 cars

Sorry ENY!

Not a problem at all. Always remember that 99% of what I post will be on the MTA website somewhere or soon to come. I always get hard copies of the milestone reports and the current one plans for the 10 car (2 five car sets) to arrive in just under 4 months, so if that runs into October then it will be the 4th quarter.

Obvious for people who can see. I've already run across quite a few people who have seen the mock-up and still say it looks too much like the R143/160.

It definitely looks like the R143/R160 cars for commonality reasons. The lights will be the same type to save on parts costs, but they may be positioned different.

I'm definitely inclined to take ENY's word for it that the R179s may be on time after all. I think some may be mixing this up with another source who claims that the delay may be going into January 2015.... when this person never even showed any proof.

The July CC Oversight committee report is scheduled to be released next month which will reveal further details on the pending status of the R179s.

Many thanks ENY on shedding some light on this mystery for us. +1.

Realizm, thank you for pointing that out, because I'm dealing with those exact people right now, who believe a person with no proof over a person who's track record shows right here on these forums. Everything seemed to be going fine, a January 2015 delay just seems like too much. I really wasn't expecting the 10 car train to come first since they aren't really replacing anything.

On the aesthetics part, yeah, it looks similar to the R143/160. But there's a difference between similar and too much like. At least for me. I tend to forget that not everyone has as much of an eye for detail like I do.

The lights will be the same type to save on parts costs, but they may be positioned different.

So that means that the R179 will have similar lights to the R160's? That means that they will be dimmer than the ones on the new R188's right? 

Delivery of 10 pilot cars is scheduled to take place in the third quarter of 2014, followed by delivery of the remaining production series cars between mid-2015 and early 2017.

and 

The third tax quarter 2014 begins on

Tuesday, July 1
and ends on
Tuesday, September 30

be on the look out between July 1 and September 30th for the R179

The four quarters that make up the year are: January, February and March (Q1); April, May and June (Q2); July, August and September (Q3); and October, November and December (Q4). A quarter is often shown with its relevant year, as in Q1 2012 or Q1/12, which represents the first quarter of the year 2012. 

Edited by nightmare402

Sorry, but all you really need to know that there are 12 months in a year, each quarter is three months. Then count it out.

An elementary school student could have figured that out.

December(?) Jan, Feb Q1 

March April May Q2

June July Aug.. Q3

September Octorber November Q4 right?