R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 32s will be retired from revenue service when the 179s come. You guys should be happy the 44s had issues so the 32s could stick around for a extra five years or so.

Besides they saved a pair or two for the museum so you will always be able to ride them once or twice a year.

This...

I know I know. I am too enthusiastic about R32s. I am sorry when I get like this.

So, you rememer when the R32s were on the (E)? I was little when they were still on the (E), and I remember something about the (F) being better than the (E)...

Well, from what I've seen from a mock-up, a slightly updated front. The sides curved like the R160, but instead of one stainless steel stripe, it will look like the M7 where there are two thicker stripes. One above, and one below the windows. 

I may be wrong though.

R179 program review for those that don't know.

• Delivery of the first 10-car prototype still set for an on-time or near on-time delivery in the 4th Quarter of this year. 
  • Order calls for a base of 260 cars to be arranged in 4-car sets, and 40 to be arranged in 5-car sets. There are no options
  • Prototype will test for about 6 months, and if all goes well, delivery of the production cars should begin in July 2015
  • First cars tentatively planned for the (A), (C), and (J) trains

I guess not. Presumably the handful of R179s on the (A) would cause a few R46s to be sent to Jamaica which would in turn cause a few R160s to be sent to Coney Island to be used on the (Q) for SAS service, which would accomplish the goal of restricting the R179s to only a few yards.

Unless I'm missing something.

Edited by Mysterious2train

I guess not. Presumably the handful of R179s on the (A) would cause a few R46s to be sent to Jamaica which would in turn cause a few R160s to be sent to Coney Island to be used on the (Q) for SAS service, which would accomplish the goal of restricting the R179s to only a few yards. Unless I'm missing something.

I want more R46s on the QBL so I would be pleased!

Wait so that means no R179's on the Quincy?

Not until the (T) train comes online and then only a few may see service on the (Q).

There will only be 4 trains of 5-car R179s, with the rest being 8-car sets. 90% of the (A) 's fleet will remain R46s regardless.

True. The bulk of the fleet will go to the (C) line.

They should keep 100 R32s in reserve for increased service.

I'm afraid that's unlikely to happen. The 179 order exists only to replace the rapidly aging 32s and 42s. Once those new trains arrive on property and are cleared for service, the older cars will bite the dust.

What does anybody think the number series will go from-to? (sake of speculation)

We've been through this before, but I speculate 3101 on up...

I was thinking they'd take the old R44 numbers starting at 5201 instead of 5202, but there aren't enough consecutive numbers for all 300 cars without running into the R46 numbers, so yeah, they'd have to start somewhere in the 3000s.

Edited by Lance

Interesting, though if Coney Island gets the 46s, I can't see them popping up on the Q. Maybe the N or the few Ds that come out of Coney Island. Every time 46s ran on the Brighton (from the 70s to the present, including during the Sept. 11th contingency), they were pulled almost immediately afterwards due to excessive vibrations reported by homeowners along the line.

Edited by Lance

I'm afraid that's unlikely to happen. The 179 order exists only to replace the rapidly aging 32s and 42s. Once those new trains arrive on property and are cleared for service, the older cars will bite the dust.

But I wonder what may come of this study of the (A) and (C) they're doing; like if they determine more trains are needed.

Edited by Eric B

But I wonder what may come of this study of the (A) and (C) they're doing; like if they determine more trains are needed.

Probably the same thing like the (G), but I'm sure the (MTA) already knows that the R32s and R46s are the oldest heaps in the system (not counting the R42s). If they actually determine that the two identical variants are significantly more crowded at their peak load points (Broadway Junction on the express and Lafayette Avenue on the local), then they'll might as well add service. But how much more service do anybody here wants? Normally, the Cranberry Street tube is scheduled to run 26 trains per hour during the 8:00 hour from Monday through Friday on the northbound direction. Not every line is crowded during the middle of the day when many commuters have already reach their work destinations.

I mean where are these so-called "overcrowding" issues coming from, according to the complaints? Which stations actually? Midday loads on the (A) aren't significantly high enough to support more frequent service. But of course, some others still continue to say otherwise, so I'll just leave it at that. I've been riding the (A) very frequently enough to determine how service should be frequent. Yeah, it's obviously one of the most crowded lines in the system, but isn't Midtown Manhattan, Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn (New York City's three central business districts) the primarily work destinations for many rush hour/weekend morning & evening commuters?

Edited by RollOver

A supervisor did tell me that a chunk of R32's will be in storage for reserve fleet while others will be scattered around for garbage runs to replace the Redbirds that do B div pick ups

I wouldn't be surprised if some R32's stay in service because of this unless they order more R179's

I wouldn't sleep on the retirements yet because things might change last minute