R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

They should keep 100 R32s in reserve for increased service.

Its very likely that will happen but with less cars, probably 80 but they will be going into work service, 10 are already in work service, and more would probably follow to replace those R33WF's that do garbage pick ups in the B div.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they still have some life left on them, there gonna be in service till the 211s come in.

Oh right yeah, I forgot about that. Then if the R179's are replacing the R32's and R42's then that will be on the C/J/Z, I suppose it could mean an R160 or two might pop up on the A

Edited by Tomtoon

Oh right yeah, I forgot about that. Then if the R179's are replacing the R32's and R42's then that will be on the C/J/Z, I suppose it could mean an R160 or two might pop up on the A

Theres no R160s going to the (A), The contract is complete and they are remaining where there are for now unless some changes happen. The (A) is most likely gonna get the 211

Theres no R160s going to the (A), The contract is complete and they are remaining where there are for now unless some changes happen. The (A) is most likely gonna get the 211

Sorry what I meant is from the J/Z if there's enough R179's for the J/Z/C then perhaps a couple of R160's could go from the J/Z to the A.

Or are there just enough R179's to replace the whole C and the few r32/42's on the J/Z?

Not until the (T) train comes online and then only a few may see service on the (Q).

True. The bulk of the fleet will go to the (C) line.

I had a feeling so. This was what I have thought pretty much (common sense) what they are to do with the R179 sets all along. The 8 car sets on the C definitely but the ten car sets ending up on the Q. You confirmed it, so now I know for sure whats the deal with this latest order of cars.

y7eda7y2.jpg web.mta.info/mta/news/books/docs/r_179_staff_summary_March_2012.pdf Apparently 2nd Ave service can basically be managed with the amount of cars we have now.

Good catch, and as far as the debate is concerned with the R179 five car sets and where it will be assigned, I am with ENY on this one since he does have the insider info. They will end up at CIY for SAS service very possibly for Q service which is what I believed all allong. But the opposing party do have a good argument against it, as the MTA is indeed looking to increase service on the 8th Ave Line. 

Guess we will have to wait for future CPOC reports to be finalized in October onward, perhaps even in the following weeks this month before we can know for absolutely sure.

This can easily go either way...

Good catch, and as far as the debate is concerned with the R179 five car sets and where it will be assigned, I am with ENY on this one since he does have the insider info. They will end up at CIY for SAS service very possibly for Q service which is what I believed all allong. But the opposing party do have a good argument against it, as the MTA is indeed looking to increase service on the 8th Ave Line. 

Guess we will have to wait for future CPOC reports to be finalized in October onward, perhaps even in the following weeks this month before we can know for absolutely sure.This can easily go either way...

The whole order isn't for the (C). The (J) is also getting the R179s to replace those remaining R42s. The (C) is most likely going to say at its 10-12 minute headway, for pretty obvious reasons.

Let's not forget they could send all the R179's to one yard, and displace some R160's. Again, when the (Q) comes online at 2nd Av the original plans were for the existing R160's to be used, with only a few new ones making it to the (T). I actually said about 2 years ago when I created this thread that there would be enough cars in the fleet to accommodate 2nd Av and everybody jumped down my throat. Lol. Now it's in black and white.

Not until the (T) train comes online and then only a few may see service on the (Q).

SAS Phase 2 hasn't been funded and you're speculating on car moves for Phase 3 already?

Why on earth would the tiny 40 car fleet of 5 car R179's - or a portion thereof, as you claim! - be reassigned to Coney Island Shop?

A supervisor did tell me

Supervisors don't make these decisions.

Sorry what I meant is from the J/Z if there's enough R179's for the J/Z/C then perhaps a couple of R160's could go from the J/Z to the A.

The A runs 600 foot trains. The R160's on the J are in 240 foot units.

We have a delay on the delivery of the test train. Due to welding issues discovered by Bombardier, the test train will be delayed at least six months from its original plan of mid-December.

page 30 of http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/140728_1200_CPOC.pdf

It's Alstom all over again, Remember the welding problems at Alstom's Lapa, Brazil plant, again history repeats itself