R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a delay on the delivery of the test train. Due to welding issues discovered by Bombardier, the test train will be delayed at least six months from its original plan of mid-December.

page 30 of http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/140728_1200_CPOC.pdf

Damn that sucks, well that means the test train will be here between Late May-July 2015,

I mixed some dates up in previous post. 

R179 program review for those that don't know.

• Delivery of the first 10-car prototype still set for an on-time or near on-time delivery in the 4th Quarter of this year. 
  • Order calls for a base of 260 cars to be arranged in 4-car sets, and 40 to be arranged in 5-car sets. There are no options
  • Prototype will test for 6 months, and if all goes well, delivery of the production cars should begin in July 2015
  • First cars tentatively planned for the (A), (C), and (J) trains

Correction:

• Delivery of the first 10-car prototype still set to be complete in the 4th Quarter of this year. 
  • All 10 cars are currently on schedule to be delivered to MTA property by February 2015
  • Order calls for a base of 260 cars to be arranged in 4-car sets, and 40 to be arranged in 5-car sets. There are no options
  • Prototype will test for several months and if all goes well, delivery of the production cars should be under way by July 2016
  • First cars tentatively planned for the  (A)(C), and  (J) trains
Edited by East New York

Not to doubt your sources, but recent info from the MTA states that because of welding problems at Bombardier, the test train won't be on Transit property until sometime next year and not the original December date that they expected.

Not to doubt your sources, but recent info from the MTA states that because of welding problems at Bombardier, the test train won't be on Transit property until sometime next year and not the original December date that they expected.

Next Year.. :(

That's mentioned in the update above. All the dates are pushed back.

I like them too, but I don't want to see them fall apart due to old age. I sure hope Bombardier gets those welding issues resolved and fast.

I don't think they will fall apart

The Q types were built in 1903 and 1907 and retired in 1969. The oldest lasted 66 years. I think they will last.

Why bother Bombardier .... I would give some time for Bombardier to built R179... At least this is the first time Bombardier built B division car 60' footers ..... At least we are riding Kawasaki Rail Car in B division mostly that R68 , R143 , R160 & Alstom car R160/A....... Why compare Pullman car R46 that 75' footers &  Bombardier did mostly built A division car R62A & R142A.. Mostly there is 1,854 cars of Bombardier running A division car that it ...

I don't think they will fall apart

The Q types were built in 1903 and 1907 and retired in 1969. The oldest lasted 66 years. I think they will last.

The Q Types were made of wood bodies (though they had some steel in them). Plus wood was easy to come by back then. 

My own word I am figuring out some people did not want Bombardier to built R179... It look there might be recall of a Bombardier car lol joking.... Come on everyone .... I know I am supporter full width cab ... Not a half width cab...

If you're going to say anything, please use proper sentences and coherent thoughts.

• 3 weeks later...

You could say that about the R143s and R160s as well. At least R40Ms and R42s were able to operate together in the same train, before and after GOH. These probably won't - and I'm almost certain you'll never see an R179 set operating in the same train with an R160 set. At least not in passenger service.

You could say that about the R143s and R160s as well. At least R40Ms and R42s were able to operate together in the same train, before and after GOH. These probably won't - and I'm almost certain you'll never see an R179 set operating in the same train with an R160 set. At least not in passenger service.

I agree. I think that the main issue might be the fact that the two types of cars may have different propulsion systems. It very well could be done without coupler adapters, as you stated however it may not be practical to do so for many reasons. Probably a similar reason as to why the MTA avoids the practice of mixing up R160As and R160Bs.

Edited by realizm

I agree. I think that the main issue might be the fact that the two types of cars may have different propulsion systems. It very well could be done without coupler adapters, as you stated however it may not be practical to do so for many reasons. Probably a similar reason as to why the MTA avoids the practice of mixing up R160As and R160Bs.

You mean the Siemens R160B's and Alstom R160A's? Just asking as I'm positive I've seen Alstom A/B together :)