R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-You can't have an R143 with an R160 in service. Although they have the same couplers, the electrical portions of both couplers are different, and won't interact with each other. The only time you would see that is if one is dragging the other along (one would have to be a "dead" set), but even so, they would just use locomotives

-You can run any R160 with another R160 (4 car, 5 car, Alstom or Siemens), it would still work fine, but normally you won't see an Alstom set with a Siemens set unless you need an extra train...

-The dynamic braking on the Siemens cars are a lot different on the Alstom cars. With the Siemens sets, the dynamic braking stays active until 1 mph then the brake shoes kick in for the rest. OTOH, the Alstom cars have the dynamic braking active until 5 mph, then the brake shoes do the rest. One would be dragging the other along when showing down, or would be crashing into the other one even slowing down, depending on which set is leading.

-They mix the R160A and B in service but only the Alstom cars. Nothing really different between the two, other than a few minor bells and whistles here and there

The brakes on the R142A release slower than the R142, so out would drag the R142 along when leaving if it's in the back and would get bumped by the R142 if it was in the front

This is exactly why the MTA does not like to operate cars in mixed fleet sets. Totally agree. Flat wheels, breakdowns, MDBFs go out the roof.....

Edited by realizm

...Since when were they doing this? They always mix Convert R142s with single R188 cars, but... I've never seen half the train converted R142s and half R188s.

Converted R142As and R188s are the same thing and are compatible with each other. There are no single R188 cars, both new and converted ones come in 5 and 6 car sets.

Pictured in the above image is an R142 and R142A before the A was converted to type R188. The photo is 10 years old.

Converted R142As and R188s are the same thing and are compatible with each other. There are no single R188 cars, both new and converted ones come in 5 and 6 car sets.

Pictured in the above image is an R142 and R142A before the A was converted to type R188. The photo is 10 years old.

When they took the 10 car R142As from the 6 train, didn't they add in a brand new 11th car for each train? Also, when I refer to R188s I'm referring to the brand new R188s, not the converted R142As (which are technically R188s as well). Sorry for the confusion and for going off topic.

When they took the 10 car R142As from the 6 train, didn't they add in a brand new 11th car for each train? Also, when I refer to R188s I'm referring to the brand new R188s, not the converted R142As (which are technically R188s as well). Sorry for the confusion and for going off topic.

Yes...with every R142A being converted, the 10 car set gets a brand new 11th C car (the 7900s)

Yeap. This was when 7211 was still an R142A. I believe the 142/142A mixed set was running on the <6> that day

• 3 weeks later...

Major update for the R179 Project: (Weldgate)

Bombardier is aggressively trying to get a handle on the welding issue, and inside sources say things should be on track for prototype testing to be complete, and revenue service introduction by the beginning of 2017. 

I do not have word on what causes the welding issues, or what practices will change, and if there will be any cost over runs.

I have confirmed the MTA will be compensated if cars are not delivered and put into service in a timely fashion according to the contract.

The 10 car prototype train is now expected on MTA property next summer. 

Edited by East New York

Bombardier is aggressively trying to get a handle on the welding issue, and inside sources say things should be on track for prototype testing to be complete, and revenue service introduction by the beginning of 2017. 

I do not have word on what causes the welding issues, or what practices will change, and if there will be any cost over runs.

I have confirmed the MTA will be compensated if cars are not delivered and put into service in a timely fashion according to the contract.

I was hoping it would be later.

Edited by East New York

Same thing as usual: using shit Chinese steel, like Bombardier did with the CTA order. Worked out great for the Bay Bridge in San Francisco, too. And soon-to-be-a-shitshow here in NYC with Chinese steel to be used for the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge rehab.

Same thing as usual: using shit Chinese steel, like Bombardier did with the CTA order. Worked out great for the Bay Bridge in San Francisco, too. And soon-to-be-a-shitshow here in NYC with Chinese steel to be used for the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge rehab.

We used steel from Pittsburg, PA that proved to be flawed in terms of metalurgic tests. That was evident during the last derailment. The 100LB rails we now used that makes an unusual sound? Thats Asian steel.

I was reading nydailynews, and I just found out that the first R179 is expected by July 2015, a year later than it was originally supposed to be delivered.  I mean December of this year, the rest are coming Between July 2015 and January 2017.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

I was reading nydailynews, and I just found out that the first R179 is expected by July 2015, a year later than it was originally supposed to be delivered.  I mean December of this year, the rest are coming Between July 2015 and January 2017.

The R179s are still delayed and as of right now the test train is now supposed to get delivered in July 2015 , due to the welding issues, If not cleared after testing and if the problem isn't solved it can be delayed even up to a year or more.

Edited by R62AR33