R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Does anybody know which line will the R179 (10-Car) be tested on first ?

Not for a while. We are not even 100% sure when the first R179 will even start service. It was scheduled for delivery October 2014, but when the NYCTA's and Bombardier's inspectors found cracks due to welding issues in the prototype train's chassis, the entire lot was rejected, and the delivery schedule was pushed back by approximately 6 to 11 months(as noted on Wikipedia).

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, from the mock up and renders it will look similar, but different enough to have its own identity.

But I have the eyes of an artist...

I really hope that they have some kind of distinguishing feature that will make them look different from an R160 even if they are functionally similar.

It could work. Buses have their own wifi so drivers could connect to other B/Os and their depots. Trains could be able to do the same and also hook up the type of service changes in the cars.

The Wi-Fi on buses aren't for internet connection or connecting to other operators. They're for GPS. Edited by S78 via Hylan

tbh, I don't really care about the front design being that much different from the R143/160s. I just wished it wasn't the all black front again. I think it would've been nicer if there was something that could distinguish between the Alstom and Kawasaki sets from a distance like one being red and the other blue like the MNCR trains. imo.

IMO the Red L.E.Ds on the front should be in color according to the line its running on; for example imagine (A) in L.E.D lights or even LCD ;)

Please no LCD. I don't think it would look particularly great.

Multicolored LEDs is possible but may not be worth the investment. You would be stuck with Red, Green, Blue, and Orange, most likely. 

Please no LCD. I don't think it would look particularly great.

Multicolored LEDs is possible but may not be worth the investment. You would be stuck with Red, Green, Blue, and Orange, most likely.

Red would be great and different. Tired of seeing the Orange LEDs on the R160

They've finally made the move to RGB on the newest buses (but this, I heard was because that was the only sign being offered by the vendor now?) though they are keeping them set on amber for the time being.

PATH also has the RGB in front. The question is whether the vendor of the MTA's special signs (with the circle and diamond outlines around the text character) has RGB available. (I've suggested the letter should be white LED only, and only the circle/diamond be color changing, which would improve cost).

They've finally made the move to RGB on the newest buses (but this, I heard was because that was the only sign being offered by the vendor now?) though they are keeping them set on amber for the time being.

PATH also has the RGB in front. The question is whether the vendor of the MTA's special signs (with the circle and diamond outlines around the text character) has RGB available. (I've suggested the letter should be white LED only, and only the circle/diamond be color changing, which would improve cost).

This is even better, I totally agree with you on this.

• 1 month later...

What is the news of R179 . Will it be delivered . The original plan was start to delivered R179 that starting in June 2015 - etc. By etc . I mean how many month on or beyond..

Of course they will be delivered lol. Test units are suppose to arrive later on this year and we might not see the actual delivery until later next year. You have plenty of time to catch those good old R32's.